Taylormade R9 Irons

You should look around, they can be had for much less then that. I got mine for $600 off Ebay.

Oh yeah, and welcome to THP!

Wish I knew the answer to that...I'm assuming that is typical as each set of Irons has different specs that can contribute to the degree change...

Got mine for $250 from a college friend who works for Taylor!!! Wooohooo!

The other thing I'm trying to accomplish by moving from the Burner's to the R9's is a bit lower trajectory, especially in the short irons. I tend to balloon the Burner's at times. I'm thinking the Motore shafts in the R9's will give a bit more piercing trajectory than the Reax in the Burner's, although I didn't see much difference in trajectory when I hit the 6 irons on a monitor.

Best price I can find for 8 clubs, graphite, is $879 at discount dan's. I want to order 5-SW, so the sets on bay aren't really an option (even if I could be sure the clubs are legit).

Last edited:
I took off work early today to hit the R9s that came in the mail today. They were absolutely wonderful! It is a completely different world than my R7s. I was hitting the ball more consistently and straighter. These things, from my first impression, are with every penny! I can't wait till Saturday when I can take them out to play a round.

I have temporarily solved my dilemma by ordering an R9 sand wedge. That way, I can play with it for as long as I need to be sure that making the move to the full set will be worthwhile, or just as well to keep my Burners. I get almost as much anticipation as waiting for a whole set, but just paid for a wedge.

I went by golfsmith today and hit a R9 6 iron. I like the look from the topline, I couldnt tell much by hitting them into the net but they felt good.

Today's Course Session

Today's Course Session

It was another sunny day wedged between a week of rain and predictions for another week of rain, so I made a run for the local 9 hole course.

During warm-up at the range, it looked like it was going to be a horrible continuation of yesterday - shots were off line, and when they were straight, they were very short. I was befuddled. The R9s had been offline before (my swing), but never short. It was just plain weird.

But as soon as I got on the course using my own balls, I was back to my regular distances. (There was no wind and the balls at the range were the same as yesterday, so I have no idea what was going on at the range. Shots that should have been crushed just kept falling short.)

My swing wasn't perfect but, once again, there were at least two shots with the R9s that were mishits that ended up perfectly fine. Although the sound of the club still annoys me a little, and I think TM could use better grips (oddly, I seem to be getting used to the skinniness), I can't argue with the results. The R9s are truly forgiving, and they have a very nice feel. I guess it's time to start looking for that TaylorMade cap and/or towel, because the R9s have changed my mind about TM and made me a believer.

On a side note, I redeemed myself on the course today by not spazzing out like yesterday. There were two threesomes and then a solo in front of me, with two solos behind me. So when I caught up to the solo, I joined him. When the solo behind me caught up, he joined us. I did not babble, fumble, or otherwise act like a keystone cop. I even played some respectable golf. I still haven't figured out what happened yesterday, but I'm glad it's gone for the time being.

It was another sunny day wedged between a week of rain and predictions for another week of rain, so I made a run for the local 9 hole course.

During warm-up at the range, it looked like it was going to be a horrible continuation of yesterday - shots were off line, and when they were straight, they were very short. I was befuddled. The R9s had been offline before (my swing), but never short. It was just plain weird.

But as soon as I got on the course using my own balls, I was back to my regular distances. (There was no wind and the balls at the range were the same as yesterday, so I have no idea what was going on at the range. Shots that should have been crushed just kept falling short.)

What do you attribute to the yardage differences Harry?

What do you attribute to the yardage differences Harry?

Absolutely no clue JB. I'm baffled. The range uses limited flight balls, but it's not like they got extra-limited flight balls Wednesday night just to mess with my head. There was no real wind to speak of. Maybe I was having a perspective problem yesterday?

Some advice

Some advice

Hi Harry,

I'm new to THP so go easy on me. I am in the market for some new irons and I am really torn. I need some advice. I am a 24 handicap. I am very serious about getting better and have been taking lessons at golftec so slowly but surely my game is improving. When I miss shots I tend to pull them. I am considering the r9's and the 09 burners. Can you give me your opinion?

I currently play TM r7 draw irons.

I am sure Harry will be on to answer this question as well. I would say try them out. They will be less offset than your draw irons, and feel quite a bit different as well. Have you tried the Burner irons?

There are so many great iron sets out right now it can become crazy. I really enjoy the R9 irons and think they are a great blend of performance and forgiveness, but they do not have the same forgiveness as the Burners do. Harry may be able to assist more.

I am sure Harry will be on to answer this question as well. I would say try them out. They will be less offset than your draw irons, and feel quite a bit different as well. Have you tried the Burner irons?

There are so many great iron sets out right now it can become crazy. I really enjoy the R9 irons and think they are a great blend of performance and forgiveness, but they do not have the same forgiveness as the Burners do. Harry may be able to assist more.

I've tried the burners and like them quite a bit. I've also tried the Ping i15's and like those as well. I actually hit both well. Funny thing is the i15's are supposed to be more of a players iron but they don't seem less forgiving. I tried both at the range - (6 iron Burner and 7 iron ping). I've tried the r9 at the pga store and really liked it. As you said there is a lot to choose from and I seem to change my mind daily.

dlachape-

I agree with everything JB said. I love the R9s and I'm a mid-high handicapper. But there are people in the same situation who prefer the Burners. Both are solid irons. The only way to be sure is to find a place that will let you hit them. I would never tell someone "You should get the R9s!" just because I like them so much. Irons are just too personal. But I can tell you that they should definitely be on your short list of irons to try when you are looking.

Another thing to consider is that maybe your money is better spent on lessons right now. Your current irons aren't that old. Can you tell us why you are in the market for new ones? (even if it is just because irons are sexy and you can't help yourself. I know I love irons!)

dlachape-

I agree with everything JB said. I love the R9s and I'm a mid-high handicapper. But there are people in the same situation who prefer the Burners. Both are solid irons. The only way to be sure is to find a place that will let you hit them. I would never tell someone "You should get the R9s!" just because I like them so much. Irons are just too personal. But I can tell you that they should definitely be on your short list of irons to try when you are looking.

Another thing to consider is that maybe your money is better spent on lessons right now. Your current irons aren't that old. Can you tell us why you are in the market for new ones? (even if it is just because irons are sexy and you can't help yourself. I know I love irons!)

I am currently taking lessons at Golftec. I had the r7 draws lengthened with regular shafts when I purhased them. I did not know much about lie and shaft options at the time of purchase. My swing speed for driver is around 100 mph so I'm told that I need still shafts. I also am told that I since I lengthed the r7 draws an inch I've in actually reduced the stiffness of the regular shaft - not sure if this is true but seems to make sense.

Spent some quality time with the R9's today at the range. This was my first time Ive been able to get in some good range time becuase of all the rain here. Main thing I came away with is when you hit these solid and on the sweet spot they feel amazing. Very good distance and a nice ball flight thats not too low or too high. Im not sure that I hit them as far as the Burners but thats ok. Im looking to improve my game and grow into these irons as I do.

Hi Harry,

I'm new to THP so go easy on me. I am in the market for some new irons and I am really torn. I need some advice. I am a 24 handicap. I am very serious about getting better and have been taking lessons at golftec so slowly but surely my game is improving. When I miss shots I tend to pull them. I am considering the r9's and the 09 burners. Can you give me your opinion?

I currently play TM r7 draw irons.

The old school answer is Burner's, don't even think R9's. At a 24, forgiveness is WAY more important.

The old school answer is Burner's, don't even think R9's. At a 24, forgiveness is WAY more important.

I am not sure. WHile I agree that the Burners are more forgiving, in our testing for review we had quite a few high handicaps hit these clubs and had very few issues.

There are many ways to be a high handicapper. Poor off the tee, poor short game, etc.... It is not always poor ball striking. I think if someone is even a decent ball striker, the R9s could help. But every player is different.

So, during the back-9 yesterday, I played several iron shots with my buddy's R9s. I enjoyed playing with them (prior to that, I had really only hit them on the range). That was the last bit of info I needed to go ahead and purchase the clubs. I went in with my static measurements and tried the R9s with both the KBS and the s300. I preferred the ball flight with the s300, so I went with that. (Though, the difference was rather minimal). I should receive them in about a week or so. Thanks for everyone's reviews!

Of the recent new owners of the R9's that previously played the 2009 Burners I was wondering how many traded in the Burners or just kept them in addition to the R9's. Any particular reason if you kept them both?

I've had the r9 irons since they came out a few weeks ago. I've really noticed a improvement in my game over the r7's I had. I've noticed when hitting these clubs you have to have a nice soft swing. I'm so use to playing baseball and swing as hard as I can and at first it was really hurting me while hitting both the 4 and 5 iron. Now that i swing softer i find myself hitting the ball a lot better, straighter, and further then I did before. One of my favorite clubs to use is the AW. Every time I hit the AW it comes of so nice and soft and I always end up with a great shot.

Of the recent new owners of the R9's that previously played the 2009 Burners I was wondering how many traded in the Burners or just kept them in addition to the R9's. Any particular reason if you kept them both?

I hardly ever get rid of my old irons. I have a closet full of irons for what ever reason. I find it better to hold onto my clubs b/c I always end up selling them to a friend or someone who wants to get a set of clubs. It always works out to just keep them for me, plus I would rather give them away to someone I know then to trade them in for 1/3rd of their value.

They just don't give you enough money to trade in. I'd rather hold onto my old clubs find a friend or something to sell them to or just keep them you never know if someone comes to town and wants to go golfing with and doesn't have clubs too.

I hardly ever get rid of my old irons. I have a closet full of irons for what ever reason. I find it better to hold onto my clubs b/c I always end up selling them to a friend or someone who wants to get a set of clubs. It always works out to just keep them for me, plus I would rather give them away to someone I know then to trade them in for 1/3rd of their value.

They just don't give you enough money to trade in. I'd rather hold onto my old clubs find a friend or something to sell them to or just keep them you never know if someone comes to town and wants to go golfing with and doesn't have clubs too.

Local high schools can often use them for kids who want to play, but can't afford clubs. Organizations like First Tee or Girl's Golf appreciate any donations as well.

so many good clubs. seems impossible to figure out the best club to buy when new great clubs keep coming out all the time.

Back