Taylormade R9 Irons

They are not ap2/mp52. And my opinion, worth very little, they are significantly better than both. They are similar the MX-200s but do have a thicker topline than those. I never understood the thin top line, so I cannot help in that area.

Definitely more like the AP1 or MX-200 than the AP2 or MP(anything).

Hey Skagen,

I was torn between both the Burners and R9 but opted for the Burners because of the added forgiveness. I loved the R9's but the Burners just felt better suited better for my game at this stage. I really love the clubs. As others have said, it is best hit both and see which work for you. Both sticks are winners!

Hey Skagen,

I was torn between both the Burners and R9 but opted for the Burners because of the added forgiveness. I loved the R9's but the Burners just felt better suited better for my game at this stage. I really love the clubs. As others have said, it is best hit both and see which work for you. Both sticks are winners!

Hey Keith,

Just curious, in your opinion, how much more forgiving are the burners vs. the r9s? Is it pretty significant that led you to the burners?

Hey Keith,

Just curious, in your opinion, how much more forgiving are the burners vs. the r9s? Is it pretty significant that led you to the burners?

We are giving away a set of Burners right now in the contest section.

Skagen,

I was fairly significant for me. The fitter also recommeded them because his impression was the me being about 21 handicapp, I would benefit more with the additional forgivness. I certainly had planned on picking up the R9 but in the long run I made the best choice for my game. As far has hitting them both, I was hitting them about the same distance but had a better shot grouping and closer to the middle with the Burners which was probably due to the fogiveness.

My R9 irons come in tomorrow! Can't wait to hit them.

Cool for you Seth! Can't wait to hear about them!

I hit the R9's again last night for over a hour and I still would put the feel of these irons up there with just about any club I have ever hit. I can't even honestly say a forged iron feels much better. I had to make myself leave without being fit for them as I'm gonna play my burners until next spring but if by next spring I still keep thinking about the R9's I will make the switch. They truly feel that good to me.

Since the R9's are shorter...Couldn't we all just order the R9's 1/2 longer and have similar if not better distance then the Burners? Or is that just too simple to be true?:confused2:

Since the R9's are shorter...Couldn't we all just order the R9's 1/2 longer and have similar if not better distance then the Burners? Or is that just too simple to be true?:confused2:

It is a little too simple. However in theory you are correct. each iron is built to be its own animal. However with as easy it has been to hit the long irons of the R9s, you may not need to.

It is a little too simple. However in theory you are correct. each iron is built to be its own animal. However with as easy it has been to hit the long irons of the R9s, you may not need to.

Hey JB,

You were the one to review the mx200's right? Are the r9s just as forgiving or are they more "players" clubs? Sorry if this has already been addressed.

To me they are more forgiving than the MX-200s. Going off memory, larger club head would have a big factor. Very different clubs. I know people want to put all clubs into either GI or GE (players), but each manufacturer is so different now that it makes it harder to do so.

If we must, then the MX-200s would be close. While the MX-300s are closer to the R9TP I guess. But I think they are still very different.

The KBS that comes with the r9s are different from the KBS Tour right? I couldn't find anything outside their tour series on the site, but a lot of people are saying the r9 shafts are only 90g where as the kbs tour as 120. Is there an upcharge to get the kbs tour?

The R9 comes with a KBS 90 shaft. THe R9 TP comes with KBS Tour shaft.

lol yes its too late! Now I just need the rain to go away...again..

Great Stuff!

Great Stuff!

I haven't been able to track down a set of R9 TP irons to hit in my area...can't wait to see how they stack up against my current set (Tour Burners) and the new Burner irons.

I have been a Taylor Made guy for years, I just made a switch to the Victory Reds, I hope it was a good move

Went to a Taylormade Demo Day (coincidentally) at the PGA store in Plano, TX. Got fitted for an r9. Felt great, THIN topline and pretty forgiving, although the 7 iron i was hitting went anywhere from the 140s to the 160s and 175 when i really nailed one. Anyone has any problems with distance control? I also got fit at mizuno and with -1/2 length, the lie is standard, but with these r9s, -1/2 length was like 1 - 1.5 degrees flat. Is this typical?

I have not played the AW so I do not know. I am not sure if Harry's set came with one. he might know better.

I haven't hit the AW, but the PW is fine, so I'd expect the AW to be solid as well.

Harry have you had a chance to play the AW? I hit it last weekend when my brother and I played. I hit it out of some pretty thick fescue. It had pretty good feel and landed softly. I don't know that if I was hitting a specific brand of wedges and really liked them, that I'd switch to this AW though.

The more I hit these clubs the more I am starting to like them. I learned you can't swing them too hard though. Not a good result. I just can't sacrifice the money I spent on my X-22's and drop another $800 on these. :sad:

I'd suggest to anyone looking for some new sticks to look at these.

Burner's vs. R9's

Burner's vs. R9's

1st post here - welcome to me! Long story not quite as long, my 2009 Burners (switched from I5's) have been great performers...but...the offset and sole width of the 5 and 7 irons (weirdly, not the 6) bother me, and I definitely hit these the least well (my set is 5-AW). LOVE the looks of the R9's, and hit the R9 6 iron just as long and a bit straighter than my Burner 6. So it's likely an R9 set is in my future, just having a hard time justifying the $900 or so after I just spent $800 on the Burner's (got a deal with Edwin Watts). I'm an 9 handicap or so, ballstriking a strength, not sure if I can wait to get a deal on the R9's....

Back