Golf Books: What's on your bookshelf?

I've just bought The Unstoppable Golfer by Bob Rotella, having recently read and really enjoyed Your 15th Club.

I used to tear myself apart after every bad shot (90+ times per round...) and it's really helped me enjoy my game a lot more!

I have a lot of golf books laying around. I like golf fiction. Two of my favorite golf books, though are non-fiction. Both by Curt Sampson. The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia, and Hogan, are both great reads. The former will open your eyes to what has taken place behind those gates through the years.

Kevin

I need to venture into this type of reading, I got plenty of time in the evenings, don't care to read but couldn't resist a good golf read

Here is my small "library". My favorites are "How To Become a Complete Golfer" by Toski & Flick and "The Feeling of Greatness" by Tim O'Connor. My greatest find (not pictured here) was an autographed copy of Babe Didrickson's "This Life I've Led" which I gave to my sister when she was first taking up golf.

242241_351958658228765_493455407_o.jpg

Added a few new ones to my collection this weekend.

A Good Walk Spoiled by John Feinstein - seems ok so far.
Grand Slam (about Bobby Jones) by Mark Frost - this one I'm excited for since the last Frost book I read was great.
The Game for a Lifetime by Harvey Penick - love me some HP.

I just bought the USGA illustrated 2012-2014 rules book. I realized after taking the rule test someone posted recently that I really need to brush up on my rules knowledge.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Tiger Woods - How I Play Golf
Annika Sörenstam's instructional book
Bob Rotella - Your 15th Club
Stan Utley - The Art of Putting
Stan Utley - Art of the Short Game

That's it.

We have gotten this far and no mention of Dan Jenkins?!?!

Dead Solid Perfect for the funniest golf book ever and The Dogged Victims of Inexoprable Fate (collection of his best Sports Illustrated pieces) for the best run of golf writing in a magazine ever.

David Owen's My Usual Game and The Making of the Masters are both excellent.

Michael Bamberger's To the Linksland and John Garrity's Ancestral Links for a taste of Scotland and Ireland.

The Match

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Every Shot Must Have a Purpose
The Elements of Scoring
From 60 Yards In
Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect
The Art of the Short Game
Four Magic Moves
The Impact Zone

These two. Good books lots of usable tips and hints and lots of how to's..

golf-_the-best-instruction-book-ever-300x288.jpg

If you liked that one, then let me recommend this one, "The Best Short Game Instruction Book Ever." Looks like it's probably written in the same style.
As a beginner, I found much of value. i posted a review of the book on Goodreads. You can see it here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6886065-golf

6886065.jpg

Tedski

We have gotten this far and no mention of Dan Jenkins?!?!

Dead Solid Perfect for the funniest golf book ever
and The Dogged Victims of Inexoprable Fate (collection of his best Sports Illustrated pieces) for the best run of golf writing in a magazine ever.

David Owen's My Usual Game and The Making of the Masters are both excellent.

Michael Bamberger's To the Linksland and John Garrity's Ancestral Links for a taste of Scotland and Ireland.

+100 on this! Dead Solid Perfect is the funniest golf book ever, probably the best golf fiction book ever. Jenkins seems to have gone out of style, but this was one of the first books I remeber having to put down because I was lauging too hard!

Warning! It's dfinitely not politically correct, so modern-day readers may find the language offensive, but the story is great.

Also good:

A Good Walk Spoiled (Feinstein)

The Greatest Game Ever Played (Frost?)

I'm in the middle of Walking with Jack. It's pretty good so far. I also recently read John Daly in and out of the rough autobiography. It was written by John and was a good look at his up and down life.

I have too many golf books to list but these are the two that I have been reading and working with this season.

51M3WM66XRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The best mental game book I've read in a long time. Has helped me change my whole attitude on the course. Gives you real world exercises to work on, not just a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

$T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW9I,BRW8Kyz,B!~~_35.JPG

Since starting this book I have made more putts from 5 ft. and in than in the previous 2 years combined. Awesome!

Thought I'd ressurect this because I just purchased 6 books for some light reading this winter...
- The Art of Putting - Stan Utley
- Power Golf - Ben Hogan
- How I Play Golf - Tiger Woods
- Little Red Book - Harvey Penick
- The Game of a Lifetime - Harvey Penick
- Golf is Not a Game of Perfect - Dr. Bob Rotella

Ben Hogan's Five lessons The Modern Fundamentals of Golf.

tappin from my big as note2

putting out of your mind - Dr. Bob Rotella

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Zen Golf. Maybe if I ever finish reading it my mental game wouldn't be in shambles.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Great thread!

Just ordered A Good Walk Spoiled and Harvey's Little Red Book, can't wait to get started on them. Thanks for all the recommendations all!

I have lots:

Ben Hogan's Fundamentals
Harvey Pennick's Little Red
Golf in the Kingdom - Murphy
Understanding the Golf Swing - de la Torre
Essentials of the Swing - Haney
The Anatomy of a Golf Course - Doak
Bobby Jones on Golf
Golf my Way - Nicklaus
The Impact Zone - Clampett
How I Play Golf - Woods
Two Years in St. Andrews - Peper
Greatest Game Ever Played - Frost
Dream Golf - Goodwin
Grounds for Golf - Shackleford
Secrets of the Short Game - Mickelson
Short Game Bible - Pelz
Zen Golf - Parent

Out of those, my top 5 are, in no order:

Bobby Jones
Greatest Game
Pennick
Haney
Pelz
Doak

I actually don't have too many, and even less that I'd actually read again:

A Golf Swing You Can Trust - John Hoskison
The Art of the Short Game - Stan Utley
The Stack and Tilt Swing - Mike Bennett and Andy Plummer
Putting Out of Your Mind - Dr. Bob Rotella

The only two that I read anymore are The Art of the Short Game and Putting Out of Your Mind. Putting Out of Your Mind really helped me improve the mental side of putting. While my full swing is still a wreck, everyone notices immediately how well I putt nowadays. I am going to order Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect by Rotella. Hopefully he can fix my mental approach to the full swing like he helped me with putting.

I actually don't have too many, and even less that I'd actually read again:

A Golf Swing You Can Trust - John Hoskison
The Art of the Short Game - Stan Utley
The Stack and Tilt Swing - Mike Bennett and Andy Plummer
Putting Out of Your Mind - Dr. Bob Rotella

The only two that I read anymore are The Art of the Short Game and Putting Out of Your Mind. Putting Out of Your Mind really helped me improve the mental side of putting. While my full swing is still a wreck, everyone notices immediately how well I putt nowadays. I am going to order Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect by Rotella. Hopefully he can fix my mental approach to the full swing like he helped me with putting.

I think, having read both that The Unstoppable Golfer would be money better spent, not that Golf is Not a Game of Perfect is not
a bad book, Unstoppable is in my opinion Rotella's best so far.

Last edited:
Wanting to do some winter reading in preparation for the MC. Anything that can give me just a little edge. Want to focus on the tournament/competition aspect of it. Rules, tendencies, strategies...etc. Any suggestions?

Back