2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my dead lift back over 405 tonight. Pretty stoked. Now to get my squat back over 300. Also got my bench @ 225. Working my way back to the thousand pound club. Have to gain another 95 pounds across those lifts.

great work dude. I chuckled at your video because there is a moment when the weight became heavy, if that makes sense. Every lifter knows that moment.

Also, some words of advice. Even though they're unsolicited. Keep your eyes up

and take some time off of heavy dead lifts for 7-10 days minimum. Let your body recover.

great work dude. I chuckled at your video because there is a moment when the weight became heavy, if that makes sense. Every lifter knows that moment.

Also, some words of advice. Even though they're unsolicited. Keep your eyes up

and take some time off of heavy dead lifts for 7-10 days minimum. Let your body recover.

Yeah, my technique is a little odd because of my height. Short as I am, my liftoff and clearing my knees is a really small amount of movement, so the sticking point of pulling my hips through the weight almost comes to a complete stop. It's a lot more fluid on a taller lifter.

No such thing as bad advice, especially on dead lift. My only thing (the video doesn't show it) is that I don't take a breath once I get down there. I get about two thirds a lungful of air while I'm upright, lock out my core, then get down, get my grip, and go. So I usually pull while more core is tight and back straight, not paying much attention to my head and eye position. It's not because I want to be fast, but my routine just doesn't pull too much into getting good eye position and whatnot the way it does for squat where you have no choice but to set up because you're already upright. I think of the dead lift starting from the moment I start bending down to get on the bar.

Yeah, my technique is a little odd because of my height. Short as I am, my liftoff and clearing my knees is a really small amount of movement, so the sticking point of pulling my hips through the weight almost comes to a complete stop. It's a lot more fluid on a taller lifter.

No such thing as bad advice, especially on dead lift. My only thing (the video doesn't show it) is that I don't take a breath once I get down there. I get about two thirds a lungful of air while I'm upright, lock out my core, then get down, get my grip, and go. So I usually pull while more core is tight and back straight, not paying much attention to my head and eye position. It's not because I want to be fast, but my routine just doesn't pull too much into getting good eye position and whatnot the way it does for squat where you have no choice but to set up because you're already upright. I think of the dead lift starting from the moment I start bending down to get on the bar.

All good things. The dead lift is a beast of a lift. Having a plan is important. Keeping your eyes up will do two things for you though. One, it will help keep you back straight and chest up. Which will prevent back injuries. Two, it will prevent one of your twosome from popping out your belly. I you know what I mean.

I cant wait to restart insanity next week

Havent exercised since I lost my job beginning of june..feeling lazy and can see a weight gain

Enough of that

I did my fit test a few days ago gonna start again now that I'm on my days off and can get a running start on it.

I did my fit test a few days ago gonna start again now that I'm on my days off and can get a running start on it.

nice dude, plug away at it...freaking works thats for sure

Busted out my first 10km run yesterday sense high school, so 4 years. Posted a 1.03.24 time. Not horrible, but far from where I use to be. Need to keep with it if I plan on doing a decent half marathon time next June.

I'm late to the party, but have just started really focusing on my fitness and health. So far I've just done 2 5mi bike rides the past 2 days, and will continue to do so until I can come up with a good strength training plan.

Last weighed in at 233. I am hoping to hit 200 by years end.

Set a small goal for myself for the next 2 weeks. Need to get back in to all my healthy habits.

You got it.

Of course the wife asks if I want Chipotle for lunch today...

Do it! Chipotle is healthy eatin' buddy!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Not even close dude.

Hahaha.

I'll take a bowl with brown rice, chicken, salsa, and some lettuce. FAIL

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I've been on my road bike 6 times in the last 10 days after eating & drinking too much on vacation. I'm training for a 175 mile ride Sept. 21st -22nd that starts in San Francisco and goes north up the coast so I need to log some miles to get my butt in shape!

Got back at it this morning even though I was utterly exhausted. Rode the bike for 20 minutes this morning at 6am. I did really well over the weekend at the ATL Invitational. I weighed myself Thursday morning and then this morning and I lost 5.8lbs to hit 60lbs just short of the 8 week mark since surgery. The biggest thing that has surprised me is my energy level. For the first 3-4 weeks I felt like I was running on empty, now I feel so rejuvenated and happy. Just going to keep plugging away and living life.

Got back at it this morning even though I was utterly exhausted. Rode the bike for 20 minutes this morning at 6am. I did really well over the weekend at the ATL Invitational. I weighed myself Thursday morning and then this morning and I lost 5.8lbs to hit 60lbs just short of the 8 week mark since surgery. The biggest thing that has surprised me is my energy level. For the first 3-4 weeks I felt like I was running on empty, now I feel so rejuvenated and happy. Just going to keep plugging away and living life.

Nice, keep it up.

I am starting a lifting program when I get back.

Had to take some time off to preserve my sanity, and hopped back on the wagon yesterday. Had been showing a few pound increase, but apparently one day of clean living knocked that out. Went from 261 to 256, so I was holding on to a ton of water weight. Trying to get myself looking as good as possible for Saturday.

Went out for a jog yesterday, and kept on walking for a little while. Ended up going for more than 5 miles.

Had to take some time off to preserve my sanity, and hopped back on the wagon yesterday. Had been showing a few pound increase, but apparently one day of clean living knocked that out. Went from 261 to 256, so I was holding on to a ton of water weight. Trying to get myself looking as good as possible for Saturday.

Went out for a jog yesterday, and kept on walking for a little while. Ended up going for more than 5 miles.

Nice JR!

For the first time in 5+ months, I took a week off. My shoulder has been bothering me, and I had really been pushing the envelope. My weight was at my target ( lost 55# since March, and am under 200# for the first time since I was in my early twenties ) and it was just time. I let myself eat loosely, and I expected that I would have gained a couple pounds. Nope - weighed myself and I was exactly the same. Heading back to the gym tonight. Going to cut back on the lifting, and keep up with the cardio. The problem for me is, with the way I lift ( no-to- little rest, supersets ) that was probably a better cardio workout than a lot of other things. I just have to keep an eye on my shoulder until the off season, when I am hopefully going to get it taken care of!

Great to see everyone still hammering away!

I feel like I need to get back into gym again. I haven't been gaining weight by any means, but with that said I am the biggest I've ever been and don't like that. I would be happy losing say 15 to 20 pounds, but keeping the muscle. (who wouldn't right?) I just need to get motivated to do it. The older I (we) get it seems the less motivated I become. I need a goal to strive for, like the last #granddaddy spot, or the #King or next years Morgan Cup/Ultimate Golf Event.

Dead lifts and pull ups tonight! One set to failure on both. It's going to be awesome

I dunno... My Chipotle meals hover around 450-500 calories.

Yeah you can eat out and be health conscious. Obviously you have way more control if you cook yourself but you could overeat on healthy food and eat more calories than you should. When I'm working out I really try to watch calories in and out plus carbs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

It's doubly hard for me since I'm vegetarian, but I've found success with protein shakes and split meals (to try and stay under 1800kcals/day).

It's doubly hard for me since I'm vegetarian, but I've found success with protein shakes and split meals (to try and stay under 1800kcals/day).

I was a vegan for a while. The hardest part is dealing with people asking why. Eating wise being vegetarian or vegan isn't that bad once you learn how to make meals that are fulfilling. I'm not vegan right now but I still use a bunch of vegan foods.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back