Charles Howell DQd

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
For a piece being missing off his new driver

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Charles Howell III was disqualified from the Wyndham Championship on Saturday, one day after the weight port cover on his driver came off before his second round.The PGA Tour announced his disqualification for using a non-conforming driver before the start of Howell's third round.
Howell shot a 68 on Friday to move to 6 under, five strokes behind leader Patrick Reed.
PGA Tour rules official Tony Wallin said another official told him about Howell's driver early Saturday morning.
He said the weight port cover came off Howell's TaylorMade driver while he was on the driving range before his second round. Howell said in a statement that the company assured him that the lack of a cover would not affect the club's performance.
"The idea that the club would no longer be conforming, because of the missing toe-cap, never entered my mind," Howell said.
Had the cover come off during the round, Wallin said Howell would have been OK to play with it as long as he fixed it before his next round.
Howell said the club -- which he called "the best performing driver I've ever played" -- will be back in play next week at The Barclays.

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

A bit more info...

Last edited:
That seems truly stupid

Wow thats unreal

Oops....

That blows. I'd be pissed if I was him.

This is the kind of crap that makes people think Golf is "by morons, for morons." So lame.

Sounds kind of dumb and makes me wonder about these drivers. On one hand, "Best he's ever played", on the other, is mine going to do that too? (if I figure out how to swing 600 mph like he does)

Everybody! it's the TMAG hate train, let's go board it!

The missing cap according to the PGA tour gave the driver an aerodynamic advantage and at that point was deemed non-conforming. TaylorMade is saying that it in no way affects the performance of the driver. That cap is glues in place and gives the Tour Techs a way to change the weight of the slider to adjust the swing weight.

I personally think this ruling is complete non-sense. I understand the rule, but man, this seems a bit harsh. I don't get the DQ...

Idiotic!

That's a terrible call:/
I don't see why he would get DQ'd besides some USGA rule.

Ridiculous ruling.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Whoops! He must've been smashing it.

I'm trying to understand the hot wax portion of the statement?

Yea a DQ seems a little harsh for a little cap being missing. I guess rules is rules.

I'm trying to understand the hot wax portion of the statement?

There's a cap on the bottom of the club that can be removed by the tour van guys to put hotmelt into the head to affect the weighting and sound of the driver. The cap fell off, that's the issue.

I didn't know they used wax. Interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Wow, this is pathetic.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So if it came off on the first hole he could finish the round, no problem. But since it was off at the start, he's DQ'd. Bizarre.

Wow... Sounds like TM needs to test the club with out the cover.

I also didn't know the weight could be changed out. Is that for Pro's only?

Back