Callaway FT Optiforce Driver Review - Forum Testing

I love hearing that everyone is starting to find some success with this. I was really impressed with the 440 head in IL and it might just be good enough to knock the Xtreme out of the bag. Keep up the great reviews!

And Beags with a draw on the course?!? What is the world coming to?
It is interesting, for sure. My miss was when I was too close to the ball, and ended up in a nasty slice. However, when I took my time and set myself up properly, the ball flight was perfect.

At one point during the round, I made the comment that it might be time to aim down the middle of the fairway rather than a hard line down the left.

It is interesting, for sure. My miss was when I was too close to the ball, and ended up in a nasty slice. However, when I took my time and set myself up properly, the ball flight was perfect.

At one point during the round, I made the comment that it might be time to aim down the middle of the fairway rather than a hard line down the left.

That's awesome, but scary. After you get used to aiming a certain way for so long it's hard to trust the new line. I know it's true for me, I don't play a lot of fades and when I have to aim down the left it scares me a bit.

Soooo many thoughts in my head on this driver after my round today.

I will have a full post up this evening, but wanted to hit some quick points;

1. Long. I had some bombs with this on the course, and interesting enough, it was all carry as the course was so wet that there was no roll, as most of the time the ball was in its mark or within a foot.

2. 3rd hole, Par 5; I hit a heck of a tee shot. And it was a beautiful slight draw.

3. The length is causing some fits at times. I have to consciously make an effort to stand further away and swing my swing. Standing too close brings in my miss right. When I set up properly, it's just about as straight as I can hit a ball.

4. Audible feedback is impressive. By sound alone, I know when it is hit on the screws and when it was a slight miss. I like having that kind of feedback.

I will have a ton more thoughts to put in here this evening. But, 3rd round in the books with it, and I am really finding my groove with it.
When your not on the screws with contact, how does the stand up to the near misses with the R1

When your not on the screws with contact, how does the stand up to the near misses with the R1
Off the toe hasnt been too penal, at all really. Distance is not at too much of a loss, but it does leak a bit right with that miss.

However, my most common miss with this one (when setup appropriately), is high on the face. Slight distance loss again, but nothing that is overly concerning.

Compared to the R1, I would say that my misses with the Optiforce have been slightly more muted. As I feel that I am in a bit more control with the Optiforce with my swing.

I think I might have to take tomorrow off and do some more testing. I want to play a round with the most feared ball in golf, the ProV1. I've never had one last more than a couple of holes due to too much sidespin off the driver. Should be an interesting experiment.

Off the toe hasnt been too penal, at all really. Distance is not at too much of a loss, but it does leak a bit right with that miss.

However, my most common miss with this one (when setup appropriately), is high on the face. Slight distance loss again, but nothing that is overly concerning.

Compared to the R1, I would say that my misses with the Optiforce have been slightly more muted. As I feel that I am in a bit more control with the Optiforce with my swing.

I don't know if the other testers have noticed this, but you can tell one you don't hit the center of the face (sound-wise). This face it hot, but you will get feed back when you don't hit it square. The nice thing about that is you know right away what to expect.

I am missing high on the face as well War, still getting used to this longer shaft. I have to really look at my setup before I swing because if I am too close to it, it's infield flies all day.

For those of ya'll that are adjusting to the length. Do you think you would be better off cutting it down, or are the distance gains of the length making it worth getting used to?

For those of ya'll that are adjusting to the length. Do you think you would be better off cutting it down, or are the distance gains of the length making it worth getting used to?

I am going to put an RIP Alpha 60 into this thing and see how it does. It'll only play .5" longer instead of 1.5" longer than my J40.

is it really that much better than the razr fit xtreme? i've been hitting my 9.5 with a diamana 'ilima shaft (not getting the distance i had with a black tie 7m3, but dispersion is tighter) and have been hearing great things about the optiforce.

Alright, got home today and had a Callaway box sitting at the front door which means I'm back in business with one change. I now have the Project X 6.0 shaft and it looks mean!

photo-1.jpg

I have a tee time tomorrow so this sucker isn't getting much of a chance on the range. It's going straight out on the course so we'll see what it has got. This shaft feels a little stiffer than the Diamana but that could just be perception. Just doing some waggles it gives me that vibe. I'll get back on here about this club tomorrow after I put it through the first round.

Last edited:
Dang Jordan, that looks amazing dude. Grip, shaft, and head just look like they were designed for each other.

Looking forward to the feedback!

I thought the Optiforce 3-wood with the blue Diamana S+ and a white grip was sharp looking, but that driver with the Project X looks even better. That is one cool looking club.

Tried the 9.5 in the stiff shaft today on the monitor at GolfTown. Felt extremely light to me. Not a -ve or +ve, just an observation. Went really well the dozen or so hits I made, very consistent and straight. What I did notice is something that would be a problem on the golf course though; it had an extremely high flight. Obviously, just using the stock shaft there so could be brought down with a replacement, but off the rack I couldn't use this in a real situation. It flew nice and straight and carried a good 10 yards farther than my own driver, but would balloon like crazy in any wind, and would get no roll. I bet that a custom shaft in this baby would make it into a beast though.

Tried the 9.5 in the stiff shaft today on the monitor at GolfTown. Felt extremely light to me. Not a -ve or +ve, just an observation. Went really well the dozen or so hits I made, very consistent and straight. What I did notice is something that would be a problem on the golf course though; it had an extremely high flight. Obviously, just using the stock shaft there so could be brought down with a replacement, but off the rack I couldn't use this in a real situation. It flew nice and straight and carried a good 10 yards farther than my own driver, but would balloon like crazy in any wind, and would get no roll. I bet that a custom shaft in this baby would make it into a beast though.

Was it the px shaft it diamana?

I've seen that as well. The diamana is not the best shaft for me. I would love to try this with the project x 6.0.

Jordan, you are gonna look like a BAMF out there. Wow, that thing is slick.

I just caught up on this thread and you guys are killing it!

This reminds me of the thread about cutting down drivers. It's hard to imagine that people being fit for this club will actually end up playing it at full length. That being said, I'm sure plenty of THPers have a much easier time adapting to the length than I have. For the purposes of the review, I have continually tried to play it at full length but the results just haven't been worth it. I'm just not hitting the sweet spot consistently enough under game conditions for it to be a smart play. I swear the hosel looks like it's practically touching the ground when I ground the club at that length. I still move the ball out there even on the off center hits but I could be longer (on average) and straighter if I play at a more reasonable length. I would definitely cut down to 45" and play it there. I was fitted to that length. I play well at that length, so staying at that length seems like a reasonable thing to do. I felt like my results would've been skewed a bit if I was comparing a 45" driver to a 46" straight up. A longer shaft, assuming the same shaft, will give you longer distance.

Actually, I'd be very interested to hear thoughts from people who've been fitted for drivers as long as this one.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the thread about cutting down drivers. It's hard to imagine that people being fit for this club will actually end up playing it at full length. That being said, I'm sure plenty of THPers have a much easier time adapting to the length than I have. For the purposes of the review, I have continually tried to play it at full length but the results just haven't been worth it. I'm just not hitting the sweet spot consistently enough under game conditions for it to be a smart play. I swear the hosel looks like it's practically touching the ground when I ground the club at that length. I still move the ball out there even on the off center hits but I could be longer (on average) and straighter if I play at a more reasonable length. I would definitely cut down to 45" and play it there. I felt like my results would've been skewed a bit if I was comparing a 45" driver to a 46" straight up. A longer shaft, assuming the same shaft, will give you longer distance.

For those like me going from another lightweight driver, it isn't an issue. My Burner 1.0 is 46.5 inches, so the Optiforce is actually shorter than what I'm used to.

Love the murdered out look jordan

Alright, got home today and had a Callaway box sitting at the front door which means I'm back in business with one change. I now have the Project X 6.0 shaft and it looks mean!

photo-1.jpg

I have a tee time tomorrow so this sucker isn't getting much of a chance on the range. It's going straight out on the course so we'll see what it has got. This shaft feels a little stiffer than the Diamana but that could just be perception. Just doing some waggles it gives me that vibe. I'll get back on here about this club tomorrow after I put it through the first round.

The combination of the grip graphics and the shaft is absolutely breathing fire, man. If they looked like that on the rack, they wouldn't stay on there for long.

The tribal theme sort of bothered me at first but when I took a step back and checked it out with the grip it looks pretty cool. Hopefully it performs at least as well as the Diamana did because I'll be in for a treat if that's the case. I'm really excited to get this out tomorrow and let you guys know what I find out.

I really love the grip on this thing, so much more so than the GP logo'ed ones. If Cally would sell them, I'd buy up the entire warehouse right now.

Man, that grip/shaft combo, with the black head, just looks mean. Awesome setup.

Back