Worst equipment decision you have made...

RBZ 3 Wood. Only 3 wood I ever cracked 160 ball speed with on a monitor in the store. Can't hit it worth a crap on the range or course. Out of 100 swings, I think I hit 2 decent shots. Didn't last very long.

Switching from Callaway woods and irons to Mizuno woods and irons. Don't get me wrong, the Mizuno irons I have, when I'm hitting them good are very good, but I let the Mizuno Rep buy me away with his selling (PUD) and offer of free staff bag with my name on it. It WAS a heck of a deal for the whole set, I still can't deny that.

1) Bought a Titleist 910 3 Wood. I never hit a 3 wood, ever. At least it was used and can go back for minimal damage.

2) Ping i10 irons 7 years ago. Since I have played <10 times up until this summer. Each time I look down and wonder why I did that.
I hate the irons, have come to find out the "do not conform", and they are worth next to nothing now on trade.

1) changing from dynamic gold shafts to project x flighted shaft in my old Cleveland TA2's, the swing weights were all over the place.
2) selling my Titleist 907d2 to a guy I was playing with on the spot because he offer me well over the resell value. It took me 4 drivers to find another head I liked and five shafts to get it where I wanted it.

Buying golf balls on eBay. New in box doesn't always mean new in box. More like in a box, but not new or the box they belong in.

Buying the Taylormade Superfast 2.0. I was told by a fitter at PGA Superstore it would give me more speed and accuracy. Maybe speed but accuracy was not part of it.

Easily it was selling my Ping G2's for TaylorMade R7's. My G2's were graphite and after hitting a rental set with steel shafts very well during a round at a bachelor party, convinced myself I needed steel shafts, even though I hit those G2's really well. The R7's were good clubs, but weren't as forgiving, and I finally started to take lessons from this schmo who made me pay all this money up front, then would dodge all of our scheduled lessons. He did teach me to twist and turn my hands and wrists through impact though, which ended up screwing up my swing for a couple years.

Honorable mention goes to buying a G15 driver after hitting it at a GG simulator one time. This was before I knew any better and knew nothing about clubs. Played it a week before accepting it wasn't for me. Did not even hit it well once.

My new one...swapping out j40s for Cleveland tt

There have been a few for me. The first I recall is while I was still a young'un. I demo'ed this TaylorMade DF driver that I was killing and begged for an advance to buy it. Practically promised myself into indentured servitude but got it. Then maybe 2 weeks later won a free Biggest Big Bertha that ended up going in the bag. I still shake my head every time I see that DF driver. This was before I knew how to work the used clubs market so I pretty much just ate the cost.

The second was spending money to have my old callaway x14 irons shortened when I knew in my heart that I just wanted new clubs. They were much too upright for me and couldn't be bent so I probably should've just traded them in stock and gotten new sticks. Instead, I spent money to have them cut down and new grips put on. Ended up trading them in anyway in a few months.

Next was listening to my fitter too much and not voicing my own opinion when I first got fitted. Ended up spending a lot of money for clubs that were ok but I quickly outgrew them - way too GI short and ballooning ball flight. I ate a huge loss selling those off for the new bag.

The one decision I'm currently questioning is buying the 3w. I got a motore speeder pulled shaft for super cheap and a demo of the 3w I was pondering. Total I spent less than the whole club would cost stock. However, I hardly ever use the thing. I prefer my 3 hybrid off the deck (which is only 10-15 yards shorter anyway) and off the tee I'm just as accurate with the driver. I don't have any gaps in my bag to fill otherwise but I still wonder why I bought the 3 wood.

Buying knock off irons when I was 16. Poor quality and weren't fitted. Haven't bought off brand and haven't bought anything without being fitted since. Learned my lesson.

This one goes back about a year or so but I think the worst decision I made was selling off my Razr Fit driver with Graphite Design AD-EV shaft. I hit that thing so long and so controlled but like a moron had to run off searching for "more distance". Since that day about a year ago It's just been a revolving door of drivers and shafts searching for the holy grail and I can't say I'm any better off in the end. I have now settled on the Amp Cell which is pretty damn impressive when it comes to forgiveness but still lacking that little something more.

Moral of this story: If you have something that works don't tinker for the sake of tinkering.

Optiforce perhaps?

The tt's were the worst..reiterates that the j40s were something special

I'm not surprised to hear the J40's are a mythical club, but I'm curious what differences jumped out at you. I considered the TT's long and hard before deciding to go with the J40's.

58* TaylorMade xFT wedge. From what I understand my club is illegal (something about the grooves), and I still can't hit it remotely close to the hole. I'm way better just using my old sand wedge.

My grandpa bought me a Alien Wedge after watching a infomercial. Worst damn club ever made! I had to sneak that POS club into my bag every time we played to avoid hurting his feelings...

This is gonna show my age but I think the worst purchase I ever made was when I bought a TM Nubbins putter. I saw it in a golf mag and went, " Oh hells yea, that'll improve my game ". Never mind I was playing off a damn near +handicap and used a cheap old putter to get there. I wish I could remember the name or brand of that putter because it was flat out AWESOME in hindsight. It was a small mallet, stainless steel with a copper face. I miss that putter!

Worst ever decision?

Selling my old Hogan Apex FTX and changing to Mizuno JPX900s.

Silly silly me!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mine were some Ben Hogan CFT hybrids. I think what's worse than buying them was keeping them. I kept thinking I would get better at hitting them. I never did! They just never suited my game.

Still the J40 driver for me.

Twice.

Wanted to love it, but it proved once and for all low spin heads are wrong for me. So terrible for my game.

Nike VR 3 wood, at first I really like the profile and I hit it well when I was playing and practicing a lot. Not playing for a while has delivered top after topped ball with it and it's frustrating. The search is on for a replacement!

For me I guess it was the Adams A12OS hybrids. Bought em cause Adams is #1 in hybrids. Well not for me. Then the next would havta be Cleveland CG Gold irons. Bought em when I got back in golf in '07. Never did play well with them.

tappin from my big as note2

Getting rid of my Cleveland Launchers - the original gray head/gold shaft model and the Comp.

It took a couple of years and 3 driver purchases till I was able to find something that worked as well.

Already posted in here but have another - hanging on to my 3 and 4 irons for so dang long. I can hit them very nicely, but the problem is when I don't, I come up either 40 yards short (fat) or screaming right (thin). The hybos just make my misses so much more playable.

Got another Mashie hybo incoming to replace the 4, although I'll keep it around for the stinger days.

Back