Worst equipment decision you have made...

Coming back from a deployment with money to burn and having not swung a golf ball in months, I replaced my old used Callaway driver & woods with brand new, shiny Nike Sumos. They were square to everything except the ball.

Not all bad, though. Eventually I was able to sell the 3 & 5 woods and get enough scratch to buy the FWs I have now. Took a big hit on the driver, though.

Probably should have just spent the money on lessons.

Any hybrid I ever bought. Not knowing how to properly prep a hosel on my first shaft change...splash! 2 hours later with diving gear I found it. Trading in my original i20 driver setup. I may just have to grab another on eBay to keep around.

Buying a Taylormade Firesole rescue club with the Bubble shaft. Absolutely hated that club and yet I still kept it in my bag for 2+ years.

I'm a little out of the norm here, but the X-Hot 3W was such a quick honeymoon period for me. It just flat out stopped working for me. Don't know if it was the swing or what, but it went bye bye in a hurry. I also had the original Mashie hybrid struggles.

Past that, my biggest equipment mistake was not using (or drawing) the putting alignment aid on my ball. Has made such a huge difference in my putting since I started using it!

I have two. First, buying a 13* Cleveland Launcher DST 3-wood a couple years ago because I hit it well on a simulator and thought that I'd have success with a 13* because I'm a high ball hitter. Needless to say, I was wrong. Fortunately, I fixed that mistake last week by picking up a 15* Optiforce 3-wood that is at least 20 yards longer than the Cleveland and about 500% more consistent. Second, buying an Odyssey 2-ball with some credit and because it was all the rage at a time when I had a generic putter. My putting went from mediocre to awful for several years.

I've had a bunch. Way back: I bought a Titleist 975D driver because Tiger was playing it. I almost bought it with a steel shaft too because of him, but luckily went graphite. It was still much harder to hit than what I should have been playing at the time.

More recently: Bought a Cameron GoLo because it was attractive to me and felt good in the store, and I had never played a Cameron so I wanted to play one. Well, it lasted about 2 months in my bag and my putting was crappy. Got a higher-MOI putter in the bag like I've played in the past, and my putting stats improved. That explains why my GoLo is in the Marketplace right now.

I thought it was because of the paint job hehe

Probably switching away from my #8 style putter for a while. I switched away for a few months and golf was a whole lot less fun for that time.

Great topic War Eagle.

I've had a few. But I think the biggest was buying a set of MP60's. I fell in love with them inside the store off the mat and got great numbers. Then I get them outside and I was just digging everything into the ground. I of course thought it was the shafts, and had them reshafted..HA. Get them back and still digging up trenches.

I should have done more research to know that is what Mizunos are designed to do, and that they didn't fit my swing profile. Fortunately I found a local police officer who wanted them and gave me a fair price and he got a good deal, so I didn't feel to bad about helping him out.

EASILY switching from a Mallet to a Blade. I got so sick of that blade so fast.

I miss my RBZ driver. The X-Hot is coming around nicely, but I just miss it. It was my first 'getting serious about my game' purchase.

long time ago, i thought it would be a good idea to have a Titleist driver and Titleist irons, without hitting them or anything first. dumb....

also, one time, i sold this awesome 3 wood to this guy...i miss it.

long time ago, i thought it would be a good idea to have a Titleist driver and Titleist irons, without hitting them or anything first. dumb....

I'm trying to convince my roommate to see what fits him best before making such a big purchase like this. He's all about Titleist... even mentioned blades and I'm still laughing at him.

Switching from my Cleveland Launcher irons to the XHot irons...I wanted more distance but now my accuracy has gone downhill...it could be from lack of playing this summer though too

also, one time, i sold this awesome 3 wood to this guy...i miss it.
I should start a "Best equipment decision you ever made thread"

Sold my Cleveland Classic with a Rip Alpha in it. Felt like I was hitting it too high, so I got rid of it and have been regretting it ever since.

Xhot Pro 3 wood. Liked the feel of the shaft better than the non-pro version and didn't think the slightly open face would make that much of a difference - boy was I wrong. Last 3 range sessions and 1 round.

Convincing myself that forgiveness was the most important thing in the world, and moving away from my Nike blades. I was given a set of boccieri irons, played rbz irons, tried srixon CBs, Wilson pi7 iron and now Bridgestone CBs.

I hit nothing as well my Nikes.

TTing

Belly Putter. The thing was just straight terrible from day 1.

Probably switching putters as much as I do. After my seemore testing and keeping my MC putter in the bag for months on end I see how much better of a putter I am. But it's hard to let putters sit for lengths of time and I know I'll be back to changing putters every round for fun but it's prob the worst equipment decision I make almost all the time.

Add the Adams 9088UL to this list. Only time I EVER hit that well was during the fitting.

Installed both S300's and PX's in my irons is probably the worst one to date.

I am guilty of the S300's, hated them sold the irons.

Mashie Hybrid. As was mentioned before, a solid hook machine.

Runners up:
Full set of Tacki-Mac Itomic grips.
Callaway XTT shoes.
Diablo Octane Tour driver.

I bought a Krank rage black. I needed to see what it was all about and it was all about a slice.

Going from game improvement irons to more or a "player's" club. I'm a big believer in the advantages of technology, so this was contrary to my normal approach. I figured that I would feel my misses better, and this would help me improve my iron play. Instead, while I felt my misses better, this was just discouraging and bad for my confidence. Plus, I lost distance on less than good strikes.

I've moved back to game improvement irons, and for me, it makes the game so much easier.

Back