Driver vs strong FW

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody changed out driver for strong 3w? I'm struggling with driver and not seeing big distance between my driver and 4w. Thought of changing

I have not, but I definitely enjoyed my 12* driver.

I'm definitely considering checking out a 3 Deep. I've been pretty much playing 3w off the tee for a couple of months now. I kind of want to get back to a lesson and figure out how I've screwed my driving up as well, so I haven't made a decision. But to answer your question, I'm thinking about it as well.

I thought about doing the same thing. I just got back from the range preparing for a tournament and I was not hitting the driver well at all but I'm smashing my 4 wood. It was only a difference of maybe 20 yards and I just don't think it's worth it. As of now driver is staying in the bag.

Been contemplating a 3 Deep for a little now, may be time to pull the trigger.

I think the biggest question is, is the distance gain worth the chance of missing the fairway or possibly losing the ball?

Sent from The Galaxy Note 2

See I been wondering if the right head and shaft would allow me to play that kinda loft

Seems like I've been considering a 3 deep all summer. My miss with the driver is a hook. I played a round earlier in the year where I only teed off with my fairway and played well. Then I started hooking that and have written the whole thing off as mental.

I've got both a driver and 3deep. It's great having both in the bag. The 3deep is very reliable off the tee and gives me good distance

Anybody changed out driver for strong 3w? I'm struggling with driver and not seeing big distance between my driver and 4w. Thought of changing

As my PGA teacher did to me a few years ago when I said the same thing, you have to ask yourself why this is? What loft is your driver? What loft is the 4W? There might be a connection.....(see JB's reply!)

I've got both a driver and 3deep. It's great having both in the bag. The 3deep is very reliable off the tee and gives me good distance

How do you decide which to use? Do you look at the layout of the hole or is it more based on feel?

Sent from The Galaxy Note 2

I agree. I love my 3 Deep off the tee. Great club. One of Callaway's best fairway woods ever I think. Driver has its place, but the 3 Deep is a great club in certain situations.

Driver, 3WDeep, or 3W depends on what you want to get out of a round of golf. If you can drive the ball off the tee with a 3W, or 3WDeep and constantly keep the ball in play then go for it, however, you most likely will not be able to reach the par 5's in two or the dog leg on a long par 4 without a solid shot from a driver. Thus, you will have to make adjustments to your expectations and scoring potential.

It is very true.......nothing beats length on and "off" the course.

Driver, 3WDeep, or 3W depends on what you want to get out of a round of golf. If you can drive the ball off the tee with a 3W, or 3WDeep and constantly keep the ball in play then go for it, however, you most likely will not be able to reach the par 5's in two or the dog leg on a long par 4 without a solid shot from a driver. Thus, you will have to make adjustments to your expectations and scoring potential.

It is very true.......nothing beats length on and "off" the course.

True. I hit my FW in the neighborhood of 230. Most par 5s I can't reach in two without a huge risk

I currently carry both driver and a 3deep. I haven't had enough time to be comfortable with the 3deep yet, but man when I hit it right I seem to be pretty close to my driver distance. Even still, I don't think I'll be taking the driver out anytime soon.

I feel a driver fitting this winter

I strongly considered it. I tried the 3 Deep a ton of times but couldn't hit it and hunted for other options, then my R1 became my friend.

when i have had issues with my driver i have a 13* RBZ tour spoon with a 50 gram shaft this thing is a hammer goes 10 yards shorter than my driver and straight

I find it interesting that many guys won't consider a higher lofted driver yet they will go with a three wood off the tee instead.

I was one of those guys. Back then, I never thought there were higher lofted drivers. I had a two wood in the early '80s but I couldn't hit it either.

I don't care for the strong FW but cranking up the loft on my driver has never hurt me.

I have the R1 maxed out at 12* and just starting to get comfortable with it. I do hit both the 3 and 5 woods off the tee too though. I would say don't get rid of the driver, keep working on it on the range and know that when you get it right again the game will be easier. I use the all because I didn't spend the money on the club to not use them.

I considered going 3 Deep only till I got the Optiforce.

I have temporarily benched my XHot driver while I work on some swing issues and changes. I am rocking my 3W and hitting it really well (straight/baby draw) and only costing myself about 20-30 yards from my drives with a a driver. I can live with that for now.

I haven't considered it, at this point. I have hit the 3Deep and it is a monster off the tee, and a great weapon to have in your bag, but unless I'm just crapping out off the tee with my driver, then I'll keep my set the way it is...for now.

Maybe this has been answered but wouldn't an adjustable 12* driver with the loft cranked up to 13.5 or 14* and a shorter shaft be the way to go? Allows one to take advantage of the big 460 head.

Any comments on this? I have had many rounds of 92 with 8 penalty shots of the tee and thinking I need this to be my next move but would be interested in others experience

You think maybe it's a fitting issue? If you're not seeing a ton of distance difference, why is that? 7 degrees is a lot.

I've been gaming a 14* 3w off the tee and use it when I need to be more accurate. I don't feel like i am losing out by not having a 15/16* wood and love the distance/accuracy.

Ive been using the X-hot 3W off the tee and Im hitting it as far as my driver.

so yeah...sort of

Back