Matrix Ozik Altus MFS Hybrid Shafts ("Tie" Series) - THP Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Surprise is always a fun thing, and that is exactly what I got when a box arrived from Matrix by way of THP headquarters yesterday. Although I was expecting a shaft in for review, I was thinking along the lines of a driver shaft and boy was I wrong, in multiple ways. Instead what awaited me after opening the package was the new Matrix Ozik Altus MFS hybrid shafts, more affectionately recognized by most as the "Tie" shafts (White, Red, and Black).

5243753e323ff-L.jpg

In early 2013 Matrix unveiled the Red-Tie and White-Tie wood shafts to complete what they refer to as their "Matrix Flight System" providing a trajectory/launch for everyone across the board high (X3 White-Tie), mid (Q3 Red-Tie) and low (M3 Black-Tie). This was a major move for one of the most recognizable shaft companies out there and the shafts performed as billed (THP Review Links: Red-Tie CLICK HERE, White-Tie CLICK HERE).

Fast forward to now and Matrix is expanding their MFS shaft system into hybrids with the Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 White-Tie (high launch), hQ3 Red-Tie (mid launch), and hM3 Black-Tie (low launch) shafts.

All three shafts recieved for review are S-flex and 85g. Each of the shafts will be cut to the same playing length and installed into three 18* hybrid heads for the best option of side by side comparison of the flight system and the shafts performance themselves. I'm hoping to get out with them soon after some installation supplies come in.

The Group:
DSC_0690-L.jpg

hX3 White-Tie:

DSC_0695-L.jpg

DSC_0696-L.jpg

hQ3 Red-Tie:
DSC_0697-L.jpg

DSC_0698-L.jpg

hM3 Black-Tie:
DSC_0692-L.jpg

DSC_0693-L.jpg

As always, if you have ANY questions or things you would like me to watch out for, PLEASE feel free to post up in here about it. I'm here for you all in any way that I can be.

I do believe that the red tie (q3) would be a treat in a hybrid.

• Staff
Its also worth noting that just like the driver/fairway versions, the black and white each have the rough finish/coating while the red is glossy.

Oooh, I'm looking forward to this. I've always been a fan of the Matrix Altus hybrid shafts, wondering how these compare to that shaft.

Looking forward to following this. I have played the same hybrid shaft for multiple years now after a fitting and really like it. But i am a big fan of this simple Matrix system they use.

I like the 85g weight in these. What will you be testing these in?

I would love to try all 3 at the same time to see/feel the changes firsthand.

This should be good. I've never thought about switching out shafts in my hybrids

Hybrid shafts? Awesome. Red tie in a hybrid would be fun! Looking forward to it James!

Any ideas on what companies may use these as stock?

I love my black tie in the RFX!

#ImWithChad

Any ideas on what companies may use these as stock?

I love my black tie in the RFX!

#ImWithChad

I know Adams uses the hx3 as the stock shaft in the DHY.

I know Adams uses the hx3 as the stock shaft in the DHY.

Yeah, just not a huge fan of Adams after my last try with them.

May have to find a head I like and shaft it.

#ImWithChad

Yeah, just not a huge fan of Adams after my last try with them.

May have to find a head I like and shaft it.

#ImWithChad

Not a lot of companies are going to offer a shaft like this as a real-deal stock option

Very cool! I am a big matrix fan and the fact they are doing the "tie" in hybrid shafts is even cooler. Looking forward to the reviews.

Now are these going to have the same launch and spin characteristics as their driver companions?

Very interested in what you think of these. You know that I am looking to find the right shaft/head combo for a hybrid and these will def be on this list of candidates. Look forward to your thoughts on these.

Very cool! I am a big matrix fan and the fact they are doing the "tie" in hybrid shafts is even cooler. Looking forward to the reviews.

Now are these going to have the same launch and spin characteristics as their driver companions?

I believe so yes.

Great pics James. You know I'll be excited to hear what you think.

I've never hit a matrix shaft and will be following along.

So, I wonder why the different surface textures?

Matrix Ozik Altus MFS Hybrid Shafts ("Tie" Series) - THP Review Thread

I believe it has to do with making the shaft slice through the air easier and increasing swing speed. The roughness disturbs the air enough to help the bulk of the shaft cut through with less resistance.

It could also help achieve the right launch and spin numbers as well.

Yea, I knew why they roughed it up, but I wonder why the Red doesn't have it?

I love the look of those things! Haven't hit one before, but that may need to change soon.

Yea, I knew why they roughed it up, but I wonder why the Red doesn't have it?

Might give them the right launch numbers. Maybe the roughness messes with spin rates or something. I really have no idea what in am talking about, its all just a guess.

No, I think that's as good a guess as any dude.

Oooh, I'm looking forward to this. I've always been a fan of the Matrix Altus hybrid shafts, wondering how these compare to that shaft.

Me too Ary, the OG Altus shafts have always been a favorite of mine, it'll be interesting.

Looking forward to following this. I have played the same hybrid shaft for multiple years now after a fitting and really like it. But i am a big fan of this simple Matrix system they use.

I love the system, its ingenious. Simplicity at its finest IMO with the three colors covering the three launch areas. Very cool to see them running with it and expanding into hybrid shafts.

I like the 85g weight in these. What will you be testing these in?

I would love to try all 3 at the same time to see/feel the changes firsthand.

Three 18* hybo's Cookie, should make it very interesting to literally be able to hit the same shot with all three one after another.

Same as far as I know so far, the specs for the Black (low launch/mid spin) and White (high launch/low spin) are up on the site but the Red is not, it should be mid launch/mid spin though. I'll check into it some more for sure.

I believe it has to do with making the shaft slice through the air easier and increasing swing speed. The roughness disturbs the air enough to help the bulk of the shaft cut through with less resistance.

It could also help achieve the right launch and spin numbers as well.

Honestly, no clue why they went away from it with the Red-Tie's, could be because of the mid/mid characteristic and the lack of that texture help them hit their marks in testing. Its something I'll definitely inquire into.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the red tie and white tie. I have been looking at the original Altus for a G 25 hybrid. This could not be more timely.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Back