How Much Use Do You Get From Your Long/Mid Irons

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I thought about this quite a bit last year. The majority of courses I played last year had some what shorter par 4's and fairly long par 5's. A lot of the time, on the par 4's, I found myself 105 to 135 out for my second shot. So, I was hitting a 9 or 8 iron at the most and my 5, 6, 7 just didn't get used much. On the par 5's I'd hit my hybrid to the same general area.

Not sure why it matters other than I've constantly fought with what clubs to dwindle down to.

I use mine quite a bit depending on the course obviously. Hybrids have changed the way I play golf for the better, but I still use the others quite a bit. Part is on the par 3's at my course that depending on wind and pin placement are anywhere from a hybrid to a 7 iron for most of them.

Then there are the par 5s that are too long for me to go for in 2 (all but 1 of them) so I play to a number. Most of the time I play to be right at 100 yards so I can use a 50-52* wedge. That would mean that after my tee shot, I will hit a 5,6, or 7 depending on the hole and wind.

JB, I didn't really think about the par threes, I have to do the same thing depending on the wind. But, you brought up a really good point that if I were a smarter player I would do, hit to a number. I go for it every time regardless, even though my best fairway shot is from 90 to 100 yards. Then there's the times I almost get there and end up in the bunker.

For my game being in a greenside bunker in two is better than laying two from 100 yds. out.

My 5, 6, and 7 have been my go-to clubs in the past, especially on par 3 holes in my area. I like the ball flight of these clubs better, rather than sending the ball into the air and letting the wind play with it more. I'd rather play a light 7 than a full 8 for my control purposes.

I'd bet those new Burners will adjust your 8 and 9 to a 9 and PW, if not a PW and AW.

For my game being in a greenside bunker in two is better than laying two from 100 yds. out.

Wish I could say that MO, I suck out of the sand.

That's kind of what brought this back to mind Dirt. But, may create new gaps.

Check out the THP TV episode on the home page and Andy can help with that.

I don't have the distance you guys do so my 4i and 5i get a lot of use.

Thanks JB.

My club usage is as follow, ranked by my usage.
1. Putter, 2. wedges, 3. short irons, 4. 3W, 5. 6I/7W. The rest of the clubs in my bag are used as needed. Sometimes I never even use my driver, or 5W during a round.

I use Vijay's putting mantra when it comes to sand.

"I'm the best bunker player in the world."

Sometimes it works, other times, not so much. Smallie and Jeffann watched me take three strokes to get out of a trap at Falcon Lakes. In my defense though I had two really tough lies against the lip of the bunker.:beat-up:

I usually get stuck playing the back tees so my 8 and 9 dont see much use.

I use Vijay's putting mantra when it comes to sand.

"I'm the best bunker player in the world."

Sometimes it works, other times, not so much. Smallie and Jeffann watched me take three strokes to get out of a trap at Falcon Lakes. In my defense though I had two really tough lies against the lip of the bunker.:beat-up:

Our sand here is very bad, dirt with a lite dressing. I really can't get any practice for when I play a course with good traps.

I remember that. That was on #3 I think. I'd have been tempted to hand wedge it out. A foot wedge wouldn't have helped.

I usually get stuck playing the back tees so my 8 and 9 dont see much use.

Good point Gas, we seldom play the back nine and the main course I play is not that long anyway.

I tracked my iron usage at three of my most played courses last season. Other than my wedges, my most played iron was the 8-iron. Least played was the 4-iron. I have a *chance* to reach about half of the par 5s on these courses, depending on my drives. But whether I try to reach them in two or not, I am usually still putting for birdie rather than eagle. Thus, I often lay-up to 125-130 yds because I am very comfortable with the PW. Most of my mid-iron usage comes at the par 3s, layups on par 5s and a couple longer par 4s.

I thought about this quite a bit last year. The majority of courses I played last year had some what shorter par 4's and fairly long par 5's. A lot of the time, on the par 4's, I found myself 105 to 135 out for my second shot. So, I was hitting a 9 or 8 iron at the most and my 5, 6, 7 just didn't get used much. On the par 5's I'd hit my hybrid to the same general area.

Not sure why it matters other than I've constantly fought with what clubs to dwindle down to.

You can always make yourself use them, you know.

You could play some longer tees which will force you to hit approaches with longer clubs or you could play the regular tees and just use a shorter club for your tee shot.

Remember, there's no plaque in the clubhouse that says you must use a driver on par 4' or par 5's or that you must play the white tees unless your handicap is such and such. The only thing that's required of you is to pay your greens fee. After that, it's just you and your imagination.

-JP

I remember that. That was on #3 I think. I'd have been tempted to hand wedge it out. A foot wedge wouldn't have helped.

Or even a hand wedge ;)

You can always make yourself use them, you know.

You could play some longer tees which will force you to hit approaches with longer clubs or you could play the regular tees and just use a shorter club for your tee shot.

Remember, there's no plaque in the clubhouse that says you must use a driver on par 4' or par 5's or that you must play the white tees unless your handicap is such and such. The only thing that's required of you is to pay your greens fee. After that, it's just you and your imagination.

-JP

I have to say I agree with that JP, in looking back. From a learning basis, but in playing the course, I'm pretty comfortable with my driver and hitting to the 100 mark would most likely save me strokes I think.

I have to say I agree with that JP, in looking back. From a learning basis, but in playing the course, I'm pretty comfortable with my driver and hitting to the 100 mark would most likely save me strokes I think.

If I've learned one thing from this game, it's that the more you take yourself out of your comfort zone, the better and more well rounded you become as a golfer.

-JP

mountain golf is a wee bit different from courses at or around sea level. i see a lot more tree lined fairways and a lot of doglegs and a lot of elevation changes from tee to green. i used to always pull driver or 3 wood but in the past couple of years i've really focused on course management and leaving myself with comfortable distances in. i tend to tee off a lot with my hybrid, 4 or 5 irons. i don't think there's a club in my bag that i don't hit regularly. i never go for par 5's in two unless i have a realistic shot of getting there. i guess it all depends on the types of courses you play.

I play the back tees specifically for this reason. I find myself using my 4 and 5 irons alot. The par 4 distances vary. I will usually use my 6 iron and below around 7-10 times per round.

I carry a 4-iron as my longest club, and don't use it that often. I've become very dependent on my #5 and #3 TM Rescue Fairway clubs, to the point that I even use them to punch out of trouble. The 5, 6, and 7 irons are getting more use from the fairway as I get older, and lose a little distance each year.

I will pull the 4-iron out, however on par 3's that are around 185-190 yards. I find if I use the #5 hybrid off the tee, I tend to sky it.

I guess maybe I played the back Tee's 3 times all last year. The sad part was they were always in tournaments. I'll have to spend more practice rounds on the back ones, certainly can't hurt, every thing to gain.

Back