Callaway FT Optiforce Driver Review - Forum Testing

Smithfaced - I nearly jumped out of my chair on the first picture thinking you were going to hit the metal can :) Great idea using the spray and great writeup right there!

Last edited:
Great feedback Smithfaced! Never seen the foot spray trick before.

Thanks Smithfaced for your brilliant tip... this is something I never thought to do. I'm really looking forward to putting your spray trick to the test the next time I'm on the green.

Just took out the 440 to the course for the first time. Hit it about 6 times during the round. Flat out bombed 4 of them. Two i put bad swings. 9.5 head set to +1 N. I thought the longer shaft would be difficult to control but I like it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk now Free

Nate- I had some issues with the adapter too, and probably my biggest gripe about the club. Some times it wouldnt "set" right, and often times I felt like I was stripping it when I as trying to tighten the head on.

I haven't had any issues with the adapter at all. I wonder if it's a 460 issue

Great stuff there Jordan!

I haven't had any issues with the adapter at all. I wonder if it's a 460 issue
It's funny you guys say this. We were at a fitting earlier last month. And I quote "Callaway need to fix these sockets, because after multiple changes it's vertically impossible to get them seated properly". Then the fitter went on to say, because of that I feel bad for getting people to buy them. No granted at a fitting studio they are swapped more often then in someone's bag, but it's a point of concern for some maybe.

OK, the foot spray, that is brilliant. Why am I just now learning about that?

Smithfaced, nice write up sir.

I can't wait to get out with the 460 and get some more thoughts down myself. This driver (460) is honestly just stupid forgiving at times IMO, I've also got a chance to hit the 440 head to head with it and I'm quite excited to see/hear the differences.

SAM_0064.jpg

This is a more common miss. I wore this part of the face out until I started grooving a really nice swing. The magical feel and sound that some of us rave about isn't there with this miss. The distance isn't there either. I can't tell you how much distance this miss lost but it was noticeable.

The foot powder is really cool, and this picture especially really intrigues me. The clarity of the grass pattern and the ball is amazing, and really reflects what I imagine might have happened in the shot.

It kind of makes me think that this might have been a bit of a dropkick? Also, because of the tilt of the grass, it makes me think you might set up with the toe high?

OK, the foot spray, that is brilliant. Why am I just now learning about that?

Smithfaced, nice write up sir.

I can't wait to get out with the 460 and get some more thoughts down myself. This driver (460) is honestly just stupid forgiving at times IMO, I've also got a chance to hit the 440 head to head with it and I'm quite excited to see/hear the differences.

I like stupid easy to hit.

The foot powder is really cool, and this picture especially really intrigues me. The clarity of the grass pattern and the ball is amazing, and really reflects what I imagine might have happened in the shot.

It kind of makes me think that this might have been a bit of a dropkick? Also, because of the tilt of the grass, it makes me think you might set up with the toe high?

It wasn't really a drop kick but it higher than average. And you are right I do set up with the toe high.

It's funny you guys say this. We were at a fitting earlier last month. And I quote "Callaway need to fix these sockets, because after multiple changes it's vertically impossible to get them seated properly". Then the fitter went on to say, because of that I feel bad for getting people to buy them. No granted at a fitting studio they are swapped more often then in someone's bag, but it's a point of concern for some maybe.

I guess got lucky with mine

If you don't at least try the OptiForce on the 12.5 degree setting than you are doing yourself a disservice! Just sayin.

If you don't at least try the OptiForce on the 12.5 degree setting than you are doing yourself a disservice! Just sayin.

I tend to agree. Hehe

I tend to agree. Hehe

I'm glad Callaway offered the OptiForce at such a high setting. I just don't understand why so many people think they need to be playing an 8.5* driver. I told you guys I would have my settings worked out soon and I would report back in here when I made my decision. Well I made it, 12.5* neutral all day long.

I'm glad Callaway offered the OptiForce at such a high setting. I just don't understand why so many people think they need to be playing an 8.5* driver. I told you guys I would have my settings worked out soon and I would report back in here when I made my decision. Well I made it, 12.5* neutral all day long.

I need to try this at like a 11.5ish...anything as close to a 3w with a few more yards would be great. My current swing isnt generating anybswing so the higher the better.

I need to try this at like a 11.5ish...anything as close to a 3w with a few more yards would be great. My current swing isnt generating anybswing so the higher the better.

Embrace the loft.

Embrace the loft.

No crap I need to find someone around here embracing the loft and see what kind of difference id see

No crap I need to find someone around here embracing the loft and see what kind of difference id see

I honestly think it would do nothing but help you, best thing I ever did was drop my personal ego and let it rip with a higher loft. Should have had you hit my Cell in Vegas, its set to 11.5.

I honestly think it would do nothing but help you, should have had you hit my Cell in Vegas, its set to 11.5.

Yeah I should have...I was just in awe of jman awesomeness I didnt think about it. I used to have a super high ball flight but my wimpy partial swing has eliminated that. Gotta start tinkering with higher lofted heads without having to mess with face

There has been quite a bit of talk about forgiveness with the OptiForce. Most golfers perceive forgiveness in different ways so I took my two trusty weapons out to the range to get to the bottom of this. Is the OptiForce really that forgiving? 150 balls later I found an answer, sort of. For this testing I decided to go with 12.5 degress of loft because a wise man (Let's call him Jman) has been known to say "embrace the loft" and that is exactly what I did.

SAM_0077.jpg

If you can't tell that is foot spray. Cheaper than impact tape and lasts longer.

I wasn't excatly sure how I wanted to organize this post so I'm just going to flow with it and see what happens. Hopefully it helps some people out because that is what this is all about. I wanted to hit a myriad of shots which proved to be very difficult for me but I covered most of the "miss" spectrum.

SAM_0063.jpg

No surprise with what this ball did. HIGH fly ball but it was to center field which was a somewhat common theme with the OptiForce. I don't mind a miss when it is in play.

SAM_0065.jpg

This is about a ball under and a ball left of the sweet spot. Some of you refer to this as a worm burner and you can feel it in your hands with the OptiForce and it isn't nice. Worm burner might be an exaggeration here, the ball got about 10-15 feet off the ground and did have quite a bit of roll. My number one concern with a mishit is the ball being playable and this one was.

SAM_0064.jpg

This is a more common miss. I wore this part of the face out until I started grooving a really nice swing. The magical feel and sound that some of us rave about isn't there with this miss. The distance isn't there either. I can't tell you how much distance this miss lost but it was noticeable.

SAM_0067.jpg

Now here is where we start hitting bombs. I'll be honest though, inside of the sweet spot didn't seem to produce that sound that I love so much. Distance and trajectory were right on however.

SAM_0074.jpg

For me, this was the pinnacle. If I could hit the ball just above the center of the "X" a good time would be had by all. Some people have a hard time understanding "hitting through the ball." When you hit a ball on this part of the face with the OptiForce you understand hitting through the ball. It is almost like hitting a ball of feathers that can fly 300 yards. It is tee shot heaven and I wish I could live there and golf there every day of my life.

SAM_0076.jpg

As I was wrapping things up I realized that I hadn't missed a single ball off the toe. I didn't want to leave you guys hanging so I tried over and over to do it. It is super rare that I miss off the toe so this took some effort. It almost feels like the shaft rattles in your hands when you miss off the toe but no club feels perfect off the toe. There was minimal distance lost and I still hit a nice draw with this miss. If the toe was my normal miss than I would be very happy with the OptiForce.

I sincerely hope that this is able to illustrate some things for you guys that might be on the fence about this driver. I'm not going to sit here and say it is or isn't forgiving because everyone has a different perception of forgiveness. I was glad to see that most of my misses were in play and I was happy with MY perceived forgiveness of the OptiForce. If I consistently missed a ball or more towards the heel and low I might have a different opinion. If you guys have any questions at all about this testing let me know. I'll be on the course this afternoon but I will get back on here afterwards. Thanks for reading.

One of the best forum testing reviews I have read. Well done

Great write up Smithfaced! That is really cool you took this time to hit some common "misses" and see how the club reacted. The foot spray? Ingenious!! How well does it clean up though? And does it leave any lasting residue? I have to ask because I am a little obsessive with keeping my woods clean. Haha

One of the best forum testing reviews I have read. Well done

Thanks dude, that means a lot. I wanted to get some more stuff out there that could really help people out that maybe had some questions. With all the forgiveness talk lately I figured it would be a good topic.

There has been quite a bit of talk about forgiveness with the OptiForce. Most golfers perceive forgiveness in different ways so I took my two trusty weapons out to the range to get to the bottom of this. Is the OptiForce really that forgiving? 150 balls later I found an answer, sort of. For this testing I decided to go with 12.5 degress of loft because a wise man (Let's call him Jman) has been known to say "embrace the loft" and that is exactly what I did.

SAM_0077.jpg

If you can't tell that is foot spray. Cheaper than impact tape and lasts longer.

I wasn't excatly sure how I wanted to organize this post so I'm just going to flow with it and see what happens. Hopefully it helps some people out because that is what this is all about. I wanted to hit a myriad of shots which proved to be very difficult for me but I covered most of the "miss" spectrum.

SAM_0063.jpg

No surprise with what this ball did. HIGH fly ball but it was to center field which was a somewhat common theme with the OptiForce. I don't mind a miss when it is in play.

SAM_0065.jpg

This is about a ball under and a ball left of the sweet spot. Some of you refer to this as a worm burner and you can feel it in your hands with the OptiForce and it isn't nice. Worm burner might be an exaggeration here, the ball got about 10-15 feet off the ground and did have quite a bit of roll. My number one concern with a mishit is the ball being playable and this one was.

SAM_0064.jpg

SAM_0067.jpg

Now here is where we start hitting bombs. I'll be honest though, inside of the sweet spot didn't seem to produce that sound that I love so much. Distance and trajectory were right on however.

SAM_0074.jpg

For me, this was the pinnacle. If I could hit the ball just above the center of the "X" a good time would be had by all. Some people have a hard time understanding "hitting through the ball." When you hit a ball on this part of the face with the OptiForce you understand hitting through the ball. It is almost like hitting a ball of feathers that can fly 300 yards. It is tee shot heaven and I wish I could live there and golf there every day of my life.

SAM_0076.jpg

As I was wrapping things up I realized that I hadn't missed a single ball off the toe. I didn't want to leave you guys hanging so I tried over and over to do it. It is super rare that I miss off the toe so this took some effort. It almost feels like the shaft rattles in your hands when you miss off the toe but no club feels perfect off the toe. There was minimal distance lost and I still hit a nice draw with this miss. If the toe was my normal miss than I would be very happy with the OptiForce.

I sincerely hope that this is able to illustrate some things for you guys that might be on the fence about this driver. I'm not going to sit here and say it is or isn't forgiving because everyone has a different perception of forgiveness. I was glad to see that most of my misses were in play and I was happy with MY perceived forgiveness of the OptiForce. If I consistently missed a ball or more towards the heel and low I might have a different opinion. If you guys have any questions at all about this testing let me know. I'll be on the course this afternoon but I will get back on here afterwards. Thanks for reading.

DUDE, awesome write up and idea with the spray. Very thorough and creative. Glad to see it is forgiving - especially on the toe which is slightly my miss.

Back