The Wraparound Schedule

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP Tour Spot with some questions for you about the new PGA Tour Wraparound Schedule

http://bit.ly/16JLDEz

It sucks. Even with us golf addicts the thread for Frys.com had about 4 posts in it. It might be the official start but it sure doesn't feel like it.

I hadn't given it much thought until yesterday when it was to me at a golf outing. It gives the journey men a head start on the FedEx points and gives the big boys a rest. Maybe it will attract some middle of the road stars to give these few events legs moving forward.

I'd add a big event to get the stars out before jamuary and give the fan what they want. It also makes the new year more exciting as the stars might already be in form.

I can see why some may not like it, but I think it's a good move. There are just 6 events including the Frys.com that have been added to the season before the normal January start. The fall events had been struggling to get any "star" power to play them. The change to allow the fall winners in The Masters, and the gain of Fed Ex cup points, helped the Frys.com have the strongest field its ever had based on the Official World Golf Rankings points awarded. Better fields equal a larger impact for the cities and charities associated with the fall events.

Agreed. Plus it helps to have at least some form of tourney to watch, even if it is the Frys.com event and such. I'd rather watch that then no golf at all!

Via Tapatalk4

The events are the same the just call it the 3014 season. We have golf events straight through 2nd week of December.

I don't have a problem with it at all. Like a few others have said, these tournaments ( Frys.com) were happening before the PGA's decision to wraparound the season. Hopefully the decision draws some biggers names to the fall tournaments and it looks like it has. If the bigger names decide to stay home and rest - well it is a long season and there is plenty of time for them to catch up.

I will admit that I did get excited seeing the first couple of tournaments in Hawaii and that being the symbol for the start of the season. It was a little weird not having them as the kickoff to the season.

More important question though - when is fantasy golf starting back up?? :)

The events are the same the just call it the 3014 season. We have golf events straight through 2nd week of December.

You're really looking to the future! :D

I like it, why not? It's some golf to watch and talk about. The guys can still take a break if they want, and some lesser known names can get some camera time and get their name out there.

no problem here, more golf to watch/consume=more bueno

no problem here, more golf to watch/consume=more bueno

Agreed, I like it. I simply wish they would spread the Majors out with it now, would make it even more interesting IMO.

Any golf on TV is good golf on TV as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, I like it. I simply wish they would spread the Majors out with it now, would make it even more interesting IMO.

Any golf on TV is good golf on TV as far as I'm concerned.

Couldnt agree more, as long as there is golf on TV I am watching.

Golf on TV has nothing to do with this being start of new season. This event was still on TV last year...

Golf on TV has nothing to do with this being start of new season. This event was still on TV last year...

To you, no it doesnt. To me, yes it does. Its on TV and with the wraparound, like it or not, the fact is FedEx Cup points are on the line. While that may not bring out the Tigers of the world this early, but it does bring an added level of importance to the journeymen or the mid level guys and THAT makes it more entertaining and better TV IMO.

To you, no it doesnt. To me, yes it does. Its on TV and with the wraparound, like it or not, the fact is FedEx Cup points are on the line. While that may not bring out the Tigers of the world this early, but it does bring an added level of importance to the journeymen or the mid level guys and THAT makes it more entertaining and better TV IMO.

Sure. I get that. But, most of the posts are acting, or at least how I read them, like these events weren't aired last year and the wrap around schedule is why they're on TV this year.

I'm really not sure about how I feel about the season schedule change. Mostly it feels just really contrived. If the only thing has changed is when FedEx cup points start being awarded, then when are the marquee players going to start their seasons?

Sure. I get that. But, most of the posts are acting, or at least how I read them, like these events weren't aired last year and the wrap around schedule is why they're on TV this year.

I didn't read it that way at all, just comments about how golf on TV is a good thing. That doesn't address if they were on last year or not. Just general comments.

I would think most around here understand that these events aren't new but rather just more important this time around. The fall series always has been a good watch for me with guys trying to get into the top 125 but you wouldn't see many players that have no need to be there golfing, hopefully that will change with FedEx points being awarded.

I am all for the wrap around schedule. Allows me to have a golf fix year round. Although I see the high profile players skipping a majority of these. It allows those newly graduated players from the Web.com tour to pick up some experience and garner some respectable finishes.

I am all for the wrap around schedule. Allows me to have a golf fix year round. Although I see the high profile players skipping a majority of these. It allows those newly graduated players from the Web.com tour to pick up some experience and garner some respectable finishes.

That's what I was thinking, too. I don't want to call it pre-season golf, or even PGA Tour Rookie schedule. I guess it sort of feels that way, to a degree, but it does give guys a chance to get experience. Who knows, one of these guys could get warm and come into the new season when the big names start playing and REALLY make a name for himself. I think it has a chance to make the early part of the season have some story lines that we haven't seen before.

I understand the reason for it. But now, it just throws everything off. They need to make the ToC the weekend after the Tour Championship then right? Why have guys in there that won from the previous season, and then those who won in the current year? It doesn't make sense to me.

So far I like it. I like that the winners in these events do get invites to the Masters, where before they did not. I like that the 2013 season ends with the Tour Championship, where in years past it did not. I don't know how many of the bigger names they will draw for these events, but they might grab some if it continues on this way.

I like it personally. They took the "silly season" and put some meaning behind it.

I like it personally. They took the "silly season" and put some meaning behind it.

Agreed. Even if the big names are laying off, everyone else are battling for valuable FedEx points that could be the difference in them getting into the playoff and making more money.

I am pretty indifferent to it. The events were going to be played either way. Doing the wrap around schedule solves some problems (real or perceived) relative to money vs. fedex points and Masters invitations. I suspect more players will view this part of the season as an opportunity and play the events once the new schedule becomes more established.

Back