Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Correct. The dual pocket cavity will allow for a bit more forgiveness on the toe and heel compared to the cavity backs. You'll also notice that the DPCs have a slightly larger (not by much) profile and a slightly thicker top line.

Make no mistake, there are definitely more forgiving irons out there, but when hit on the screws, there is not a better feeling in a forged iron.

I will have to try these at some point. I just traded the CB to another member on here just because I felt like they were a little more than I could handle right now. Great clubs, super soft feel, but the top line is a bit intimidating its so thin. Is there much of a difference from the DPC and the J38?

I will have to try these at some point. I just traded the CB to another member on here just because I felt like they were a little more than I could handle right now. Great clubs, super soft feel, but the top line is a bit intimidating its so thin. Is there much of a difference from the DPC and the J38?
You play to a 6.7. It would be pretty hard to imagine the DPCs being too much club for you (I was worried about this as a 16 and I am fine).

I think I read in this thread feedback from others in this thread that the J40s were like the culmination of everything Bridgestone learned previously, and they were better than the 38s. Sorry, I don't remember the specifics of that feedback in more detail. If I had to guess, it would be feel and forgiveness.

To be clear, if you want to go GI club you will definitely find more forgiveness; if you want to stay in the players club category these may be the ones.

You play to a 6.7. It would be pretty hard to imagine the DPCs being too much club for you (I was worried about this as a 16 and I am fine).

I think I read in this thread feedback from others in this thread that the J40s were like the culmination of everything Bridgestone learned previously, and they were better than the 38s. Sorry, I don't remember the specifics of that feedback in more detail. If I had to guess, it would be feel and forgiveness.

To be clear, if you want to go GI club you will definitely find more forgiveness; if you want to stay in the players club category these may be the ones.

Im very critical of myself when it comes to ball striking, any hint of an off center hit drives me nuts!!! I should probably chill out a bit, lol. I haven't been swinging as much lately so I want to try something a little more forgiving. A set of i20s should be here at my door on Wednesday so I will give them a go. Only reason I ask about the J38 is because I had a 3i as part of the cb set and the combination of the feel and slightly larger head was much more refreshing, even for a 3i. Thanks for the input!

I can't wait for an update from T2GRN18 in this thread. He hit a few of mine this weekend with the C-Tapers and had a great little grin on his face hahaha!

Great stuff.

I think you'll find the DPCs right in your wheel house if you want a bit thicker top line. They set up perfect for me. I agree, that the CBs can be a bit intimidating when looking at that. Let us know when you get a chance to hit them.

I think you'll find the DPCs right in your wheel house if you want a bit thicker top line. They set up perfect for me. I agree, that the CBs can be a bit intimidating when looking at that. Let us know when you get a chance to hit them.

All I have to do is find a set!!! The CBs came up on CL for a smoking deal and I jumped. My other set is a set of Titleist MB which have a tiny bit thicker top line than the J40s do, and I actually hit them better, go figure. I will keep my eyes open for some DPCs... they just look perfect. Thanks again!

I've read the reviews, listened to people ooze over these, and searched high and low around our area for a merchant or course that carries these ALS to no avail. Granted this search was for Matt when he was looking for a new club to game. He settled with Mizzy's finally which he is enjoying. So the search kind of worked itself out. Then on a cool autumn round with my good friend in Columbus I will say I saw the light! Canadan was so gracious to allow me to have full access to his bag while we enjoyed a round together. My initial thoughts were I will hit a few just to see how it goes. And honestly I didn't have high expectations. The epiphany is really a two fold thing for me honestly. First it's the heads, and and then it's the shaft pairing he has in these. At address the top line of these is very easy on the eye. Granted they are not steak knives, but they are not overly bulky. Very appealing to my eye. The Shafts are the KBS CTaper S+. My first swing was not the best, as I had never really worked with these on a course. It was a mid length Par 3, right around 180yds +/-, up hill with a hurting wind from the left. I initially pulled a 6, but watch Dan hit a 5 that appeared to be close. So I switched to the 5. First swing with these was not a good swing, so I dropped another ball for grins. I'm pretty sure the comment was made, that I need to stay in the swing and commit with the shaft/head combination. I hit probably on of the best looking 5 iron I have in a while. I'm naturally a right to left ball flight king of guy. It was absolute a joy to see. Later in the round I used his PW on short par 3 that played around 135 center. I put a good swing on it, nice med/high ballflight straight at the ion, ended up a bit short, but close enough to collect a couple signed dollars.
When we finished up the round, it was time for us to head back to Maryland, so I had 71/2 hours of road time to play these shots over in my head and figure out how I was going to get these in the bag for next season. To say its a full on ponder is a huge understatement.

I've read the reviews, listened to people ooze over these, and searched high and low around our area for a merchant or course that carries these ALS to no avail. Granted this search was for Matt when he was looking for a new club to game. He settled with Mizzy's finally which he is enjoying. So the search kind of worked itself out. Then on a cool autumn round with my good friend in Columbus I will say I saw the light! Canadan was so gracious to allow me to have full access to his bag while we enjoyed a round together. My initial thoughts were I will hit a few just to see how it goes. And honestly I didn't have high expectations. The epiphany is really a two fold thing for me honestly. First it's the heads, and and then it's the shaft pairing he has in these. At address the top line of these is very easy on the eye. Granted they are not steak knives, but they are not overly bulky. Very appealing to my eye. The Shafts are the KBS CTaper S+. My first swing was not the best, as I had never really worked with these on a course. It was a mid length Par 3, right around 180yds +/-, up hill with a hurting wind from the left. I initially pulled a 6, but watch Dan hit a 5 that appeared to be close. So I switched to the 5. First swing with these was not a good swing, so I dropped another ball for grins. I'm pretty sure the comment was made, that I need to stay in the swing and commit with the shaft/head combination. I hit probably on of the best looking 5 iron I have in a while. I'm naturally a right to left ball flight king of guy. It was absolute a joy to see. Later in the round I used his PW on short par 3 that played around 135 center. I put a good swing on it, nice med/high ballflight straight at the ion, ended up a bit short, but close enough to collect a couple signed dollars.
When we finished up the round, it was time for us to head back to Maryland, so I had 71/2 hours of road time to play these shots over in my head and figure out how I was going to get these in the bag for next season. To say its a full on ponder is a huge understatement.

I hit a couple of Hitman's and this was huge for me. Hit a crisp 8 iron better than any other iron I hit all day and with an optimal shaft pairing, I would love these.

One day... One day I believe Bridgestone will release LH clubs

All I have to do is find a set!!! The CBs came up on CL for a smoking deal and I jumped. My other set is a set of Titleist MB which have a tiny bit thicker top line than the J40s do, and I actually hit them better, go figure. I will keep my eyes open for some DPCs... they just look perfect. Thanks again!

Keep your eye the market place here, I heard a rumor that there might be a contest for a set of used DPC :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit a couple of Hitman's and this was huge for me. Hit a crisp 8 iron better than any other iron I hit all day and with an optimal shaft pairing, I would love these.
It's funny cause when a look at these in comparison to the SpeedBlades, it's night and day. Crazy how different people see different things..

It was my absolute pleasure. As it goes, you are one fantastic friend, and my bag will ALWAYS have full access for you. In fact, I'm working on a second club build right now. If I've got it done before you own a set, the j40s are heading to Maryland for a dry run. You hit them very, very well. Fear No C-Taper!!!

I will probably never get rid of them. To be honest, when Bridgestone comes out with a new line (hopefully) next year, If I find something I like in their new line better, that will be the only time I let them go.

Does anyone have any idea how these dpcs would compare to tommy armours currently in my bag? These are the best looking clubs I've ever seen just wonder if its too much club, or if maybe they would actually be a little more forgiving than my currents. Wish they were easy to get hands on.

They are pretty forgiving. I had tommy armies many years ago and if memory serves me correct the armies were a little bulkier but they were not any easier to hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's evidence of some ball striking improvement brought on by using slightly more demanding clubs. This isn't world class great or anything. But I play to a 16, so we'll count this as definite progress. It was tighter than this until I got tired at the end; I am also happy there weren't any especially bad toe misses. FWIW this is better than what I was doing with my last clubs. Anyway, some have come here asking if the clubs are forgiving enough or will be too much for them. Here's some indication that it can be done.

age8e3a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Righy on the cookies man

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I accidentally hit my 6i 200 yards uphill today.

Second shot on a par 5 that makes a hard dog leg left right before the green. Had to hit a high draw over/around an oak tree. I was trying to just get over the tree. Ended up about pin high to the right of the green with an uphill chip.

Second shot on a par 5 that makes a hard dog leg left right before the green. Had to hit a high draw over/around an oak tree. I was trying to just get over the tree. Ended up about pin high to the right of the green with an uphill chip.

I had that happen twice with these irons...was laying up from 238 on par 5 and got way closer than I thought

I am finding most of my lost RocketBladez distance with the wedges through the 7i. I even had a handful of 9i right on the flag at 148, which is more than I had with the Bladez. That was an anomaly, but still. It's a different story with the longer irons, though there are hints that maybe I'll get there too. Feel, control and the distance coming back...man I love these irons.

Last edited:
Back