I love THP, but...

There was an entire page on the home page that had every participant, a picture of them, what team they were on and what company they were sponsored by. There was even a tab on the home pagethat said Morgan Cup.

EDIT: Here is the link

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?page_id=19781

I know - I did find it - eventually! Was it up from the beginning? (Once teams were finalized?). For this year's MC, could you put that link in the first post as things got updated? Just a suggestion.

If I came across as not wanting to help then I apologize. The intent of my post was not to exclude of push away anyone. I just see a lot being done to make this place awesome for everyone. Not sure what more we can do short of hand holding (and this is the wrong wording) again my post may have been off putting and I think everyone knows I'd do anything for THP, but the words came across otherwise. I'm
Sorry!

Everybody knows you are one of the most helpful people there are and always willing to go over the top.
Hence the fact that an entire section will be Pandafied soon.

If I came across as not wanting to help then I apologize. The intent of my post was not to exclude of push away anyone. I just see a lot being done to make this place awesome for everyone. Not sure what more we can do short of hand holding (and this is the wrong wording) again my post may have been off putting and I think everyone knows I'd do anything for THP, but the words came across otherwise. I'm
Sorry!

Having met you in person and shared a round, you are without a doubt one of the most helpful people I've met on THP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have that big a problem with the "awesome" posts. We have had them since the beginning. What I think clutters up threads more than anything is when someone posts a bunch of pictures, and then the very first person replies by quoting all the pictures and saying "nice pics". When it gets too bad, I'll sometimes go back and remove them, especially if we have five posts in a row quoting all of the pictures. Hopefully people know that they can edit quotes to remove the pictures, or at least, to remove the pictures they aren't commenting on.

All I will say on this is that some of us on mobile devices have a harder time editing quotes to eliminate pictures.

All I will say on this is that some of us on mobile devices have a harder time editing quotes to eliminate pictures.

I'll agree with you on that one, especially this newer tapatalk which I hate. Imo the banter that clogs up equipment threads is a much greater issue than quoting pics..imo

Ok, firstly maybe it's my perspective always on my mobile and my fat fingers being slow typing on my phone, but each one of my posts take 5-10 minutes on average lol. Secondly, my bad on the 300 posts, could have sworn when I joined that's what I read. Agree with you, it is the most impressive amateur event I've ever heard of. All the more reason I personally disagree with an arbitrary amount of monthly posts being required to even be considered. From what I understand the process is already pretty involved with video entries and what not, and I'd think that once a selection was made, because of the impressiveness of the event, that some more introspective on the type of posts and member the person is, rather than how many. I'd be willing to bet you already do this, which begs the question on why have minimum required at all, because undoubtedly does play a part in some of the gratuitous posting.

Also, maybe I misspoke on the word invites or events, but certainly for most of the events there is a selection occurring, whether it be MC, granddaddy, the king, gauntlet, etc, and there is undoubtedly a perception, wrongly deserved or not, that the more you post, the better your odds. And I don't think posts necessarily indicate how "worthy" a member you are.

FWIW, that has been my perception as well. Quality or Quantity?

FWIW, that has been my perception as well. Quality or Quantity?

Honest question...For what? People are not chosen for events. They sign up.

Are people confusing events with testing? The former are first come first serve signups or contests where people with big and small post counts both win. Many of the events don't fill up for a period of time; a first time poster could get in fairly easily. In contrast, activity level is a component of testing ... although I see that more like a minimum requirement than something that gives you an advantage (says the guy with almost 6k posts and one test experience).

This place is unique and I have not experienced any other golf website/forum like it. From day one it's pretty clear that some of the members here have a deep friendship forged through golf and enhanced from experiences shared via THP events. This can be intimidating to a new person who is trying to establish a positive footprint within the various forum topics. While the comments that say "awesome", "totally stoked", "mind blown", etc., might seem like clutter, in fact could be members trying to dip their toes in the THP waters.

With that said any member should always feel like they can express their views, however minimal, without fear of a negative reaction. By in large I have seen that as long as comments, whether positive or negative, are constructive they are received well, but sometimes the word 'awesome' or 'can't wait to hear more' helps convey the thought a little better than hitting the thank you button.

I just read through this and smile. There was a time this round table discussion wouldn't have been able to happen and that is a fact.

I have to disagree here buddy, this thread has been around a bunch of times over the past 4 1/2 years that I know of and several times its gone the distance with some positive banter. I can't say much has ever really changed long term because of it. but maybe thats a sign that nothing really needs to change. Don't get me wrong, hell you've heard from me, the place can feel shut off, clique if you will, its never good feeling like your on the outside and just want to be a part, but this site has gotten huge. I don't envy the owners/mods job of making everyone happy on a site this size.

Guess what, I've looked around at other sites and this still beat them all hands down. I've pretty much given up carring what anyone thinks, I post my thoughts as truthful as possible without trying to hurt feelings, beyond that people can like or hate my posts as they will. I don't think the problems listed can be totally fixed, but then again I no longer really think they need to be. Keep the trolls in check (Sorry Blu, j/k) and the fun coming.

I love THP, but...

Gahd dammit

I guess it is time for me to scale WAAAAAAAAAY back

All major announcement posts get the 1st post updated to make sure nobody misses any information.

Thanks JB, I did not know that and I admit I'm probably unaware of some of the other intricacies of THP that I probably should know.

Thanks JB, I did not know that and I admit I'm probably unaware of some of the other intricacies of THP that I probably should know.

No worries buddy. Always happy to help. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask away either on the forum, via PM or anything else. GG and I are always happy to help.

Wow I had no idea that this would turn into such a wide-ranging discussion. There is a ton of thoughtful, polite, positive dialog in here. What the hell kind of forum is this? COming up on 200 posts and there's not one troll to be found? Impossible. :D

So I'm relatively new, and while my OP had nothing at all to do with getting into events, cliques, feeling included, or any of the other stuff that's been discussed, I figured I'd chime in since I am responsible for this mess... :)

re: cliques - I haven't ever felt that way at all. It's obvious that there are some close friendships forged here, and that's awesome, but I never feel left out when I try to participate in a thread.

re: post counts / CNS posts - I really don't think that's the reason. I think it's all good-natured desire to show appreciation to JB et al for the awesome stuff they do. The issue manifests itself for me in this way: I no longer even try to read through any of the event/contest/opportunity threads. I just don't have enough extra minutes in my day (nor the desire TBH) to read hundreds of 'MIND BLOWN' posts to find the one post that has something of interest in it. I check the OP of such threads, and look for updates.

re: getting involved - agree that JB and GG have done so much with this place that you truly get out of THP what you put into it. For those who feel excluded, I'd just say try harder if it's important to you. My work schedule precludes me from most events, but I see no evidence here that it's much easier for veterans of the site, or harder for n00bs, to participate...apart from the fact that as you gain experience here you learn better where to look, what to watch out for, etc.

re: the people here - The fact that there are almost 200 posts in this thread and it's almost 100% positive is bordering on absurd, if you have any other Internet forum experience. I mean it when I say that the collection of people here are the most generous, open, and flat out nice folks you'll _ever_ find on the Interwebs. Ever. Like...ever.

My only disappointment so far is that I haven't found more THPers local to me to play golf with. Where are you?!?!? :D

Your in Nashville you will have several THPers in a few months. I agree with everything you mentioned in this post. Granted it took me awhile to get through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow I had no idea that this would turn into such a wide-ranging discussion. There is a ton of thoughtful, polite, positive dialog in here. What the hell kind of forum is this? COming up on 200 posts and there's not one troll to be found? Impossible. :D

So I'm relatively new, and while my OP had nothing at all to do with getting into events, cliques, feeling included, or any of the other stuff that's been discussed, I figured I'd chime in since I am responsible for this mess... :)

re: cliques - I haven't ever felt that way at all. It's obvious that there are some close friendships forged here, and that's awesome, but I never feel left out when I try to participate in a thread.

re: post counts / CNS posts - I really don't think that's the reason. I think it's all good-natured desire to show appreciation to JB et al for the awesome stuff they do. The issue manifests itself for me in this way: I no longer even try to read through any of the event/contest/opportunity threads. I just don't have enough extra minutes in my day (nor the desire TBH) to read hundreds of 'MIND BLOWN' posts to find the one post that has something of interest in it. I check the OP of such threads, and look for updates.

re: getting involved - agree that JB and GG have done so much with this place that you truly get out of THP what you put into it. For those who feel excluded, I'd just say try harder if it's important to you. My work schedule precludes me from most events, but I see no evidence here that it's much easier for veterans of the site, or harder for n00bs, to participate...apart from the fact that as you gain experience here you learn better where to look, what to watch out for, etc.

re: the people here - The fact that there are almost 200 posts in this thread and it's almost 100% positive is bordering on absurd, if you have any other Internet forum experience. I mean it when I say that the collection of people here are the most generous, open, and flat out nice folks you'll _ever_ find on the Interwebs. Ever. Like...ever.

My only disappointment so far is that I haven't found more THPers local to me to play golf with. Where are you?!?!? :D

We're in Ohio. C'mon up!

Don't most events get their own homepage link with all of the information on it as well?

Don't most events get their own homepage link with all of the information on it as well?

They do. Not all, but we try to do most.

It would be cool to put something together with some Memphis/Midsouth guys meeting some Nashville guys at a RTJ course or something in the Spring. Lets put that together!

JM

It would be cool to put something together with some Memphis/Midsouth guys meeting some Nashville guys at a RTJ course or something in the Spring. Lets put that together!

JM

I'm in the Nashville area and would love to meet up with you guys!

We just need to plan it and do it. Easier than shooting fish in a barrel filled with candy you stole from a baby sitting on easy street.

I love that commercial :)

JM

Back