2014 Morgan Cup - Qualifying Criteria

It's pretty impressive how much your game improved from late-March to the MC, B-Rad. There were quite a few MCers who stepped up their game last season, but, IMO, you were one of the higher risers.

It should be an illustration to anyone that your game can improve when you have a goal in mind. Frankly, that's been my favorite part leading up to the MC. The equipment talk is fun, but watching people work hard and get better is really fun to follow.

You got to see first hand how low it was in OH. I felt pretty bad about my play, so we need to play again, so I can redeem myself!

You got to see first hand how low it was in OH. I felt pretty bad about my play, so we need to play again, so I can redeem myself!

I was trying to be a little subtle about that part...

I was trying to be a little subtle about that part...

In the middle of swing changes + first time THP event + first group to tee off = perfect storm of horrible golf. Yikes.

Looking forward to giving this a shot this year. Following along last year made me want to be there!

Looking forward to giving this a shot this year. Following along last year made me want to be there!

You would love it dude, Im rooting for ya

Freddie, that has me pumped up brother!
I can't wait to throw my hat in the ring!

Brad,
I've enjoyed our chats about the Morgan cup, and thoughts on improvement.
It has been my dream for awhile to play this great game on a competitive level.
I've analyzed my game, and decided to take lessons.
I start the lessons Dec. 6th., in the past year I have taken on average 14 penalty strokes per round, so that is huge!

These lessons, coupled with hard work, and focused practice sessions will lead me to improvement needed to compete! And compete at a level that I will be proud if!
I absolutely cannot wait to get started with my lessons, to play the best golf of my life!
I cannot wait to experience all the Morgan Cup has to offer, I cannot wait to give the Morgan Cup all I have to offer.
I have every intention to give this my all. To make myself proud, my teammates proud, to represent THP, and my Sponsor well!

This summer is about to be the best summer of my life!

There is no substitute for hard work.- Thomas Edison

It lit a fire in me too!

Freddie, that has me pumped up brother!
I can't wait to throw my hat in the ring!

Brad,
I've enjoyed our chats about the Morgan cup, and thoughts on improvement.
It has been my dream for awhile to play this great game on a competitive level.
I've analyzed my game, and decided to take lessons.
I start the lessons Dec. 6th., in the past year I have taken on average 14 penalty strokes per round, so that is huge!

These lessons, coupled with hard work, and focused practice sessions will lead me to improvement needed to compete! And compete at a level that I will be proud if!
I absolutely cannot wait to get started with my lessons, to play the best golf of my life!
I cannot wait to experience all the Morgan Cup has to offer, I cannot wait to give the Morgan Cup all I have to offer.
I have every intention to give this my all. To make myself proud, my teammates proud, to represent THP, and my Sponsor well!

This summer is about to be the best summer of my life!

There is no substitute for hard work.- Thomas Edison

CJ, you are spot on with all this. You can do it, I have no doubt about it.

I truly can't wait to see how to enter and I want in bad, because it will make me step up my practice a ton, make me focus on the mental side of the game and most importantly make me a better THPer and person when the MC has come and gone.

I have always been one to need a goal or level to reach and be pushed by pressure to perform at my peak and this event is the biggest that I will likely ever see as a golfer and that excites me and makes me want to be the best I can be for it.

So. Scenario Time:

You're picked for the Morgan Cup and you want to be at your best when you roll into Myrtle in July. What is your training schedule? What do you focus on on your game? How do you set up the next 8 months to peak mid summer? I always enjoy listening to people's goals and seeing them come to fruition.

For me (if chosen to compete) it is short game and 150 in. I separate the two, because for some people, 150 is considered short game. Not for me though.

150 and in - Like everyone else, this is a part of my game that can always improve. Strategy from this distance is critical for me based on given conditions. Then of course it comes down to execution of the proper shot.

Short Game / Putting - My short game has gotten better this year, but needs more work. The hard part is that I only have one really good facility to practice at for short game. If selected, that's where I would spend the majority of my time. Putting has gotten so much more consistent with the Seemore. I can still do a ton better, but as I have said in other threads, proximity to the hole on misses has gotten so much closer.

General Swing - I have a range that just opened not far from my house. There are a couple of teachers out there. I would actually consider getting some help with my swing from one of them. It's not that I am "all that" with my swing, but I can make it work most of the time anf sort of fix it when something goes wrong. Freddie gave me a tip after watching me play a few holes recently, and when I got home I saw immediate results. That really opened my eyes to what some qualified instruction would / could do for my swing and made me ponder it more seriously. I imagine this would probably push me over the edge.

Finally, I would work on flexibility and general fitness. After watching ALL of the MC several times, the potential heat, pressure to do well for your team mates and the schedule of holes played WILL take a tool on the body. When the body falters, the swing follows, so I would get back into a little more of a fitness routine focusing on aerobic endurance and flexibility of my core along with some general strength thrown in. I've thought about this a lot, and there is probably much more that I would do in the process, but these items have been what I always turn to when I dream of what I would do if I made it.

Good luck to all!

JM

I'm very serious about my game so I'm not sure if there is anything I can change in preparation. I practice intensely and I play hard. Outside of my wife and my kids golf is life. When I die more than likely my family will bury me in a travel case.

I'm very serious about my game so I'm not sure if there is anything I can change in preparation. I practice intensely and I play hard. Outside of my wife and my kids golf is life. When I die more than likely my family will bury me in a travel case.

Just make sure to get that hernia taken care of.

For me (if chosen to compete) it is short game and 150 in. I separate the two, because for some people, 150 is considered short game. Not for me though.

150 and in - Like everyone else, this is a part of my game that can always improve. Strategy from this distance is critical for me based on given conditions. Then of course it comes down to execution of the proper shot.

Short Game / Putting - My short game has gotten better this year, but needs more work. The hard part is that I only have one really good facility to practice at for short game. If selected, that's where I would spend the majority of my time. Putting has gotten so much more consistent with the Seemore. I can still do a ton better, but as I have said in other threads, proximity to the hole on misses has gotten so much closer.

General Swing - I have a range that just opened not far from my house. There are a couple of teachers out there. I would actually consider getting some help with my swing from one of them. It's not that I am "all that" with my swing, but I can make it work most of the time anf sort of fix it when something goes wrong. Freddie gave me a tip after watching me play a few holes recently, and when I got home I saw immediate results. That really opened my eyes to what some qualified instruction would / could do for my swing and made me ponder it more seriously. I imagine this would probably push me over the edge.

Finally, I would work on flexibility and general fitness. After watching ALL of the MC several times, the potential heat, pressure to do well for your team mates and the schedule of holes played WILL take a tool on the body. When the body falters, the swing follows, so I would get back into a little more of a fitness routine focusing on aerobic endurance and flexibility of my core along with some general strength thrown in. I've thought about this a lot, and there is probably much more that I would do in the process, but these items have been what I always turn to when I dream of what I would do if I made it.

Good luck to all!

JM

Great list here JM!

Just make sure to get that hernia taken care of.

Heck, after Jay's display in Sarasota I suspect multiple THPers are trying to give themselves a hernia right now.

Okay, maybe not.

I'm looking forward to seeing who throws their hat in the ring for this awesome, no best damn event period. The MC has changed a great many games and a few lives.
When it is announced I hope to see a level of interest and excitement like never before.

The fairways of True Blue and Caledonia are littered with memories of so many shots. There are trees you will stand under and know exactly what you did the last time you stood in that spot.

There are breaks and carries you will remember. As well as early morning dew being pushed a side by the familiar thud of club to ball.

The hugs, laughs, high fives, fist pumps and tears will be left on this stage for you to remember the rest of your lives.

If you can enter and want those and other memories, do so. Go back and watch the videos from 2013. That can be you in the 2014 videos. That can be you pushing the 2015 hopefuls along. It is something you will not regret.

I have watched the coverage from last year a few times and I am ready to do what I have to and try tro get in. I was hesitant at first but IM READY!!

For me, if I get selected, it would be an honor and challenge. Not that I need this to relight my fire, but it 100% would. This would be my motivation to get back into golf like I was at one point in my life. Since starting my family, my golf game has very much taken a back seat in my life. It would seem that, for me, until my two girls start to become more independent, then my game will have to stay on the shelf most of the time. THIS, would...as mean as it sounds, force my wife to let me have my golf game back. So it would break the chains of that, to a degree. It sounds selfish in my mind, but I don't think it really is. ANYWAY...how would I get back?

1st, start with a better diet and weight training 3 days a week with an emphasis towards the golf swing, back and core. Then cardo two days a week. You can NOT underestimate how much this can and would help you in this competition. In college, this is what we did and during the summer, this is what I did.

2nd, start working on the short game and dialing in everything from the 9 iron down to my putter. If you want to win any sort of Match Play event, you have to get it close enough to make them give it to you. One top of that, throwing darts puts pressure on your opponent and this is a good thing.

3rd, overall swing. I would start slow, refocus on my mechanics and basics to build back up to a consistent and more repeatable swing. Since my time as a 1 handicap, my swing has changed for the better, so I don't want to resort to old habits. I will be on Skype with my swing coach, Callawaygolfpro from time to time.

4th, take stock in my team mates and do ALL that I can to help motivate and improve their games anyway that I can. This my be a individual game, but it's a team event as well. As they say, there is no I in team. I can't wait to have that bond of brother-hood that I had with my teammates in college. This, above all is what I'm looking forward to the most!

Good luck to all as the spots fill up, sounds like starting today. I will be rooting for each and every one of you.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Heck, after Jay's display in Sarasota I suspect multiple THPers are trying to give themselves a hernia right now.

Okay, maybe not.

Lol after Sarasota I took a couple tips from troutbum and stayed away from bread and other stuff that is high in gluten or not easily digested. So far it hasn't bothered me much at all. During Sarasota I was pushing it in constantly. I haven't had to push it in for the past week :)

Just saw #Cookie's tweet and catching up with this thread. Just nothing but excitement. Can't wait to hear more. Really have my fingers crossed for this year!

It will be interesting to follow along with the entry process of this years Morgan Cup. I won't personally be putting my hat in the ring, but I will promoting the heck of the event and will be there again as a volunteer.

I would dearly love to be a part of this event for a third time, The Morgan Cup has meant so much to me in the development of my game and has brought me some incredible memories and great friendships that I otherwise would have never gotten to experience.

It truly is a very special event and I am honored to have been a part of it over the last 2 years. I know there will be alot of people trying to grab just a few spots and I wish each and everyone of you the best of luck in your efforts.

If I am lucky enough to get selected again, I will work harder than I ever have to make sure I am ready to go come July.

If I don't get selected this year, I will be happy to cheer the lucky ones on and offer any advice that I might be able to provide to this year's competitors, but I know that come that last weekend in July something will truly be missing in my life.

#excitementbuilding

After reading Pound Cookies tweet and replying to the What would you do to prepare question, productive work flow just went out the window...................

I would dearly love to be a part of this event for a third time, The Morgan Cup has meant so much to me in the development of my game and has brought me some incredible memories and great friendships that I otherwise would have never gotten to experience.

It truly is a very special event and I am honored to have been a part of it over the last 2 years. I know there will be alot of people trying to grab just a few spots and I wish each and everyone of you the best of luck in your efforts.

If I am lucky enough to get selected again, I will work harder than I ever have to make sure I am ready to go come July.

If I don't get selected this year, I will be happy to cheer the lucky ones on and offer any advice that I might be able to provide to this year's competitors, but I know that come that last weekend in July something will truly be missing in my life.

Very very well said. I think that's what makes this event and THP as whole so great. Everyone wants to be a part of it, but not everyone can. Even those not selected that wanted to be a part of still play a role and still are excited for the ones selected. It's awesome to be apart of that.

Back