Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

Thats a good looking set of sticks, I love the mass behind the sweet spot.

Before I go into a brief review I want to thank THP and Callaway for the Ultimate club testing and the Apex Pros

As many of you have seen a few sets of the Callaway Apex Pros have been delivered. Well
Mine arrived this evening and I have to say I don't remember them looking this good.

The matte nickel finish is soothing to the eye. The rounded toe is something I didn't remember not did I recall tungsten insert in the 4&5 irons.

The familiar red and black sticker from KBS was nice to see. The V2s felt smooth just like its predecessor but kicked a bit more. I stayed with the 3GEN blue w/ 3wraps and a -1 lie angle.

za6u7yve.jpg
napa4a9u.jpg
yjuhyhyj.jpg

hehe5usa.jpg

ajadyter.jpg
ehenujyr.jpg
6u8uja7u.jpg

I have no paint in my XHPs and I ordered them direct from Callaway and had them at 1° upright.

My XHPs have the white line on top, 2* up. Had them for about 3-4 months now.

that's odd there is no paint in the very top groove?

Nope. All clean. Well I put an order in with the golf shop I go to and they ordered it. Still wouldn't be matter though right?

Nope. All clean. Well I put an order in with the golf shop I go to and they ordered it. Still wouldn't be matter though right?

If there is no paint in that top groove, I am thinking either they ordered the wrong clubs or Callaway sent them the wrong clubs

I posted some pics in the other thread, but I went with a combo set--the Pro 8-PW. I love the looks of both and I think this set will blend nicely. I have the KBS Tour V throughout the set.

IMG_0253_zpsa3b08526.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0260_zps26c5a1ed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

erapyvyt.jpg

I don't know. Neither these or my prototypes have paint in the top groove. Oh well. Sorry to thread jack.

Back on topic. I am really digging the head size. How are these on turf interaction? Do the dog pretty easy into the rough? I feel like the XHP for me don't let me get thru the turf very well and hoping they improved on that.

Loving all the pics....those are some sweet looking irons!

Wow! These look really fantastic. From the pictures it looks like these will have some definite forgiveness built in. Really love the looks of these and can't wait to try them out. Great start to a review thread and I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!

These are easily in the top 4 in looks ever for me. Can't wait to hear more feedback as you guys hit them. Does anyone have a side by side with 2013 X Forged.

If anyone with a set has a Ping i20 laying around, please shoot me a comparo pic!!!! Sheesh, these are gorgeous! Wow! Callaway, you've really outdone yourselves!!!

I'm getting a chance to hit these tomorrow at the Golf Galaxy by me. My buddy who works there said his dad hit them at a demo day at his TPC course and ordered them on the spot. I had the XHPro and the X-forged last season and was impressed, not totally blown away though. However, these clubs look amazing! I'll post my thoughts on them tomorrow and compare them to my current set, the 2014s from the other OEMs that I've demoed, as well as last year's Cally offerings.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Last edited:
Interesting that golf galaxy would have these when they wouldn't even be available for preorders for weeks?

Interesting that golf galaxy would have these when they wouldn't even be available for preorders for weeks?

The rep is going to be at the store tomorrow and my friend told me to be there around 4 if I wanted to try out the new irons. So, it's not like they are getting a demo set for the store or anything. Just lucky for me that I know a guy who knows the guy that is the guy behind the guy.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Gotcha, enjoy giving them the run down!

got to love the pro version amazing looking iron,would love to see comparison between the x forged and these,but to all who got them good luck with them

So sweet, they may be in the bag next season.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

After seeing the various pics of these, I am seriously liking both versions of these irons. It has got me wondering which ones I would go for if I was to decide on a set......I know the best answer is to hit them both, but until I see some over here, thinking is the best I can do...

I currently play off 16/17 (with Ping i3 O-size) but with some more practice I could see that dropping to 12/13 so thinking the Pro's would give me something I could grow into over time, but the standard Apex may give me the extra forgiveness that helps with consistency to shoot lower scores.... :beat-up:

If anyone with a set has a Ping i20 laying around, please shoot me a comparo pic!!!! Sheesh, these are gorgeous! Wow! Callaway, you've really outdone yourselves!!!

The sole of i20 looks to be slightly wider than the pro but not a huge difference on the 8iron.

4asume8u.jpg

ysujy4a2.jpg

I say go with what you enjoy more. What I will say is that people looking at pictures will naturally compare the Apex to Xhot and Apex Pro to XHP. In reality, Apex would be closer to XHP and Apex Pro would be closer to X-Forged. This is only in terms of size.

I though the Apex irons were simply outstanding. Both were really, but I like a little larger club head than the Apex Pros offered.

Looking at it again there is a lot meat on the sole towards the toe on the i20.

atuny2u5.jpg

Size comparisons to the Mizuno MP30s? Looks like the Apex pros are a little smaller but it's hard to tell.

They've really hit a home run with the Apex line, I think both look fresh and inviting and both look pretty easy to hit and get up in the air.

I took some comparison pics with my Xforged. Let me know what you think. The groove pattern is different between the two as is the toe. I'll be putting these through their paces tomorrow morning
8uga7ypu.jpg
u9usy4et.jpg
yhanedaz.jpg
rezy6uqu.jpg
apexpro is on the right
zyryrequ.jpg
apex pro on left
tetybehy.jpg

Wow! These look really fantastic. From the pictures it looks like these will have some definite forgiveness built in. Really love the looks of these and can't wait to try them out. Great start to a review thread and I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!
the look of forgiveness is all over these clubs. I remember a sleeker top line from the testing. But when compared to the xforged they are only a fraction thicker, sole and top line. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy tomorrow range session

These are easily in the top 4 in looks ever for me. Can't wait to hear more feedback as you guys hit them. Does anyone have a side by side with 2013 X Forged.
Pics up for you buddy. I'll have a full write up tomorrow afternoon

Back