UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Haha you know after I read it, I felt like I worded it poorly. It was more of a rhythm out of sync thing. I was throwing an awful arms & pelvic disaster type swing that day lol. Basically my normal swing I feel fits the profile for these shafts so they feel great. That day I was not my normal self and my swing was not fitting the profile anymore and yucktastic.

Hahaha. I do agree though. I felt the same way with the MCI's in ways at times. They don't like a wimpy armsy swing either.

You need to finish super strong! And on topic: Getting some 110 Recoils put into Titleist AP2 714's plus some Vokey wedges. Really excited about this combo. The new 714's are supposed to be slightly higher launch in the long/mid irons which would help me. I also wanted a little less heft to my shafts as I'm a wuss. November is going to be an exciting month!
I only saw steelfiber as a custom option for the 714s. Are you having them installed aftermarket? I have only demoed recoils and steel fibers once but found I liked the feel of the recoils more. If I were to describe one of them as boardy it would be the steel fiber. Your experience makes me lean towards ordering some s55s with recoils. Like you I also have my eye on the ap2 714s but was thinking steel fiber as a custom order.

I only saw steelfiber as a custom option for the 714s. Are you having them installed aftermarket? I have only demoed recoils and steel fibers once but found I liked the feel of the recoils more. If I were to describe one of them as boardy it would be the steel fiber. Your experience makes me lean towards ordering some s55s with recoils. Like you I also have my eye on the ap2 714s but was thinking steel fiber as a custom order.

Yeah I am getting them custom installed. Just so you are aware, the Ping OEM Recoils are slightly different than the Prototypes. I was told they were pretty close to the Prototypes(early version) but they will launch slightly higher. They actually sound perfect lol. The S55/Recoil combo sounds dreamy..

I went for a fitting for my Muira CB-501's and after 15+ shafts in their demo 6 iron I tried the UST Recoil Prototype 95 F5 and ended up with them.. they feel great and work very well..

I went for a fitting for my Muira CB-501's and after 15+ shafts in their demo 6 iron I tried the UST Recoil Prototype 95 F5 and ended up with them.. they feel great and work very well..
Was just discussing this exact combo with ddec today. I swung them with slightly heavier shafts (the 110 and 120), but in all honesty, I couldn't tell the difference as I was too busy drooling over how easy it was to launch 6 iron missiles after 200 swings with driver/fairway shaft combinations.

Congrats on the purchase, and consider me jealous.

I am considering the Recoil 95 for a combo set of Callaway Apex/Apex Pro. My SS is in the 85-88 mph range,5hcp, 48 years old. I'm still hesitant with the F3 or F4 flex? For those out there who have Recoil, do these play true to flex? If you play Regular in steel (R300 for example) would you play F3 here? or S300 and F4? I can probably handle the F4, but am thinking that if they are stable, i could benefit from playing F3, considering they are lighter and I might get extra distance (i am looking for extra distance), provided they are as stable was steel, and where I play, it is often chilly, and concerned i might be forcing F4 when i'm tired....? Or will the F3 be whippy and too spinny, ballooning all my shots if i'm on the fast side for them....?

Thanks for your feedback all - and hope your thanksgiving was fun.

They definitely played true to flex for me.

I can't believe it was almost a year ago that we were introduced to these shafts. Hitting Jmans at the outing was eye opening.

Not at home but will answer in about an hour

I am considering the Recoil 95 for a combo set of Callaway Apex/Apex Pro. My SS is in the 85-88 mph range,5hcp, 48 years old. I'm still hesitant with the F3 or F4 flex? For those out there who have Recoil, do these play true to flex? If you play Regular in steel (R300 for example) would you play F3 here? or S300 and F4? I can probably handle the F4, but am thinking that if they are stable, i could benefit from playing F3, considering they are lighter and I might get extra distance (i am looking for extra distance), provided they are as stable was steel, and where I play, it is often chilly, and concerned i might be forcing F4 when i'm tired....? Or will the F3 be whippy and too spinny, ballooning all my shots if i'm on the fast side for them....?

Thanks for your feedback all - and hope your thanksgiving was fun.

I think the Recoils play very true to flex as long as you are truly that flex. Meaning that if you are a stiff player and not in between, the stiff is great. If you are slightly stiff but could possibly play regular in certain circumstances, I would go regular or at the very least soft step them. If that swing speed(85-88) is with a driver, I would not even consider a stiff flex in these. I'm anywhere from 97-103 with the driver and I feel like I could play these in a regular flex. If it were me, I would make sure to get fit for them. They are expensive and not the easiest of shafts to get the proper flex. If you miss the flex with these they can feel boardy

Thanks Chunky. The SS 85-88 mph is for 6i, my driver SS is 95-100 mph.
Would this out me in F4 range definitely or F3, as I have a slow and smooth tempo?

On my current gamers, I hit 712 AP2s, with KBS C-Tapers in R+. Am looking for distance, thus weight and flex are a consideration. The Recoil 95 F3 regulars weigh in at 95g, the F4 stiffs weigh in at 110g.

Thanks Chunky. The SS 85-88 mph is for 6i, my driver SS is 95-100 mph.
Would this out me in F4 range definitely or F3, as I have a slow and smooth tempo?

On my current gamers, I hit 712 AP2s, with KBS C-Tapers in R+. Am looking for distance, thus weight and flex are a consideration. The Recoil 95 F3 regulars weigh in at 95g, the F4 stiffs weigh in at 110g.

OK so I am going to assume you are getting the Recoils through Callaway? If you are then they will be a little softer than the Prototypes that we reviewed here. Very similar profile but just a little softer. My initial thought would be to get the stiffs and soft step them once. That is generally what I do and it seems to work out well. I also would be considered slow and smooth with my tempo.

As for weight I struggled a little with the Aerotechs in the 95 gram range. I tended to lose the feel of the head during the swing. So if it were me(and by the way it will be as I am getting a new set of Recoils in some clubs shortly) I would get the 110's in stiff soft stepped once. This will be close to PXi's which is a shaft I have been fit for

I'll indeed be ordering stock from Callaway (as soon as Apex Pro can be ordered, probably December end) - so this still kind of leaves me with the choice of Recoil 660 probably in F4, or Recoil 95 in F3 - I contacted UST Mamiya, they encouraged me to go for the Recoil 95 - '''This Recoil 95 model is taper tip and constant weight. Each shaft is designed for each club! I think this model would be a better fit for you compared to the Recoil 680 model offered in the standard Apex irons. The Recoil 95 F4 will be a little lighter than the C-Tapers that you have been playing! And will give you a little more kick in the shaft too.'''

Still concerned the F4 might be a little too much for me on my off days - not sure I can order them soft stepped at Callaway.com....

Hmmmmm.....

Callaway will soft step. FWIW the 95's are a far better shaft

I did just order my set - 4-7i Apex, and 8-AW Apex Pro - With UST Recoil 95 in Regular, hard stepped once. expecting to receive mid January - will keep you pated of my impressions....

I did just order my set - 4-7i Apex, and 8-AW Apex Pro - With UST Recoil 95 in Regular, hard stepped once. expecting to receive mid January - will keep you pated of my impressions....

Looking forward to your feedback. Were the 95s an upgrade in price?

Looking forward to your feedback. Were the 95s an upgrade in price?

No - they are a standard offering on the Apex Pro, and were not considered an upgrade when ordered even on stander Apex' (probably because I'm going combo?)- but as of yet, the Apex Pros are not available for order in Europe, so this hasn't hit their billing system....

Last edited:
Long time lurker but rarely post. I just learned that Titleist now offers the Recoil shaft as an off- menu option as of a few days ago. It is the OEM version not the true Prototype so a little more torque if I understand it correctly. Per my fitter it takes a couple extra weeks to order this option. Recoils are catching on! I decided to go with AP2 714s with the Prototype 95's- more expensive but I can't wait to get them after reading all the great posts here. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. Will post my thoughts after Christmas break - hoping to play 7 rounds on vacation with the new sticks if they show up in time!

Going through UST Mamiya's little fitting program, they recommended either the 800 or 600 series in stiff for me. I'm going to have to think on this one, or find somewhere that has both that I can demo.

I just picked up a set up Ping G25s with Recoil shafts two weeks ago. So far I am loving the feel & less vibration.
The recoils are the real deal. Playing on/off forged with recoil and have gained distance and accuracy.

Just when I get these out of my head...

Callaway Europe would't build the combo set with the Recoil 95 (I think due to tip diameters or something) - so I went with the all Apex Pro with the Recoil 95 in F3, hard stepped once..... Will keep you posted on my impressions!

Lets get this thread going and out of the pondering thread.

time to catch up on some reading

Lets get this thread going and out of the pondering thread.

time to catch up on some reading

But we are pondering which ones to buy MICHAEL!!! Heh

Back