Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Preview

Maybe I missed it in the 13 pages, but JB any thoughts/comparison regarding the sound?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Different than last year, but not a huge margin of difference. I felt as though they had the best sound last year, and think they will be close again this year.

Different than last year, but not a huge margin of difference. I felt as though they had the best sound last year, and think they will be close again this year.

In comparison to the Xtreme or XHot?

And it works. More on that coming soon, but I tested this on my own launch monitor and the difference is in fact real.

That is freaking phenomenal. Lower launch for wind/links golf? Flip the core. Higher launch for wet conditions / tight fairways? Flip the core. Tweaking launch conditions to get perfect mating of shaft, head and ball? Done. This is awesome.

Not at all. Just as RAZR Fit Extreme did not from XHot last year. Most of the larger companies have multiple lines in driver.

TaylorMade - SLDR - JetSpeed
Mizuno - JPZ - MP
Callaway - X2Hot - Big Bertha
Cleveland - Altitude - 588 Classic
Ping - G series - I series - Anser
Nike - Covert only
Titleist - 913 only (but multiple options)
Adams - A lot of options
Wilson - Single Option
Bridgestone - J40 (2 options)

does the Bertha replace the Razr Fit Extreme line or Optiforce offering? And whichever it doesn't, it it still a viable line for Callaway? (i.e. a little confused on which options are for which market)

does the Bertha replace the Razr Fit Extreme line or Optiforce offering? And whichever it doesn't, it it still a viable line for Callaway? (i.e. a little confused on which options are for which market)

As of right now, the two lines in 2014 will be X2Hot and Big Bertha.

Just a few thoughts and I may be wrong, but humor (US spelling) me

does the gravity core and the weights fit into a well inside the head cavity or do they just slide into the cavity?
reason I ask is because you could potentially retain the weight of the inserts but slightly change the diameter of the insert to adjust the acoustics inside the head? potentially allowing you to fine tune the sound at impact to your liking?

Found my answer "The Gravity Core sits within the club head in a carbon tube that connects the crown and sole"

A bit out of my price range for launch day. Maybe once it drops 100, or maybe I'll go for used on eBay in a few months.

Also - am I the only person that thinks the gravity core looks kind of like an anus? Lol.

A bit out of my price range for launch day. Maybe once it drops 100, or maybe I'll go for used on eBay in a few months.

Also - am I the only person that thinks the gravity core looks kind of like an anus? Lol.

It wont be dropping in price. Callaway has been pretty specific about that.

very intresting concept i will have to give it a try
The thing i don't like is the driver is very round almost looks like a bubble whish it was a bit more sleak

It wont be dropping in price. Callaway has been pretty specific about that.

Interesting...maybe it's so good I'll HAVE to pay full retail...

....what?

Sorry if this was posted already:

That is freaking cool.

That is pretty damn awesome.

s

That is freaking cool.
Nice!!! A few yards difference....yeah 100! I can't wait to hit this thing!

That's crazy different in length. That driver was long when it came out too wasn't it? Eesh

That is freaking cool.
I think that speaks volumes to how far technology has come!

Cant wait to get my hands on the Alpha!!

So much to read in such little time. I think the core will do amazing things to those looking for either more or less spin. I have a new change jar started for the BB Alpha! 2/14/14 my wife meets my new girlfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is freaking cool.

I'd really have to question the measurement of that. Rick Shiels did a cool test last week between the original Big Bertha and the Xhot, and while the Xhot was definitely longer (like 8 yards), the dispersion was where it was much more noticeable. I sincerely doubt the BB alpha is 92 yards better than the the Xhot, which is basically another way of putting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoiR_tYB0tM

Welcome back Bertha!!! Looks really nice and I'm sure it's a bomber but it seems complicated and easy to get confused on all the adjustments. I guess Bertha is now a teenager. Great to see this name back in the Callaway line up.

I like the looks, technology, and the R and D that had to go behind this. But what is with the head cover? Lol

Headcover might be the worst thing I've ever seen! I'll probably buy the BB driver, and the FW woods to go with the new set of Apex Irons I ordered last week....but the driver and woods will go under Titleist 913D head covers that matches my new Titleist Staff Stand bag (my new favorite non-club product of 2104)...

These are the MOST exciting woods I've seen in a long time - can't wait to hit them....

Back