The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of talk has been around Ohio State's schedule, which is weak. But have you looked at Florida State's schedule?

The reason why FSU gets a pass with a weak schedule and OSU does not is because OSU had a weak schedule and struggled at times. FSU had a weak schedule (though 2 top 10 teams) and absolutely dismantled everyone. I think with OSU we kind of knew how good they were because of those struggles (their ceiling was established). FSU's worst game was winning by 2 touchdowns and scoring 48. Their average margin of victory was 42 points and that was after pulling their starters in the 3rd quarter in most games. All of this just means that FSU's ceiling has not yet been established thus until proven otherwise, they are the best team in the nation regardless of their schedule. Only one team has scored more than 17 points and the one 17 point performance was after they put up 35 in the 1st quarter and had the 3rd string in mindway through the 3rd. They played 4 teams ranked at one point and here's how many points they gave up (0,14,14,7). Thats absurd.

Is Big Time the high level source?

Damn Dev.....you are too quick!! Was coming in to comment! Yup, reports all day that something was coming out today and looks to be the hammer. Of course, not from the chicken's mouth but for Chip to officially come out and say it with his sources then it's pretty legit.

First domino has dropped so let's see the rest of 'em now. Since the beginning of the year when the rumors came out that Mack was done after his 1-2 start, people high up have said that nothing will happen to Mack unless they have something in place. In otherwords, why come out with this information now unless they already have the next coach wrapped up.

This is going to be an interesting 48 hours.

Well Nick Saban was paged at the Austin airport!!!
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/12/10/5196814/nick-saban-texas-longhorns-rumors-austin-airport
[h=2]'Nick Saban' paged at Austin airport[/h]

Here's the snip from Chips OB write-up (left out all the Mack resume filler stuff)

"Mack Brown, who united the Texas football program upon his arrival in 1998 and led the Longhorns to their first national title in 35 years, will announce he is stepping down after 16 years as UT's football coach, two high-level sources told Orangebloods.com.

Brown, who will leave Texas second in wins (158) only to legendary UT coach Darrell Royal (167), is expected to make the announcement by the end of the week.

"Mack Brown loves Texas and wants what's in the best interest of Texas and what's in the best interest of Mack Brown," one high-level source said. "I don't think it's been an easy decision. But he doesn't want negativity around the program he helped unify."

The Texas football banquet Friday night was expected to be a celebration of the Mack Brown era, sources said. The Valero Alamo Bowl against Oregon is expected to be Brown's last game at Texas.

Attempts to reach Brown, who has been in New York for College Football Hall of Fame activities, were unsuccessful. Brown's schedule Tuesday included out-of-state recruiting stops in Florida. Messages left with Brown's attorney, Joe Jamail, weren't immediately returned.

Brown, 62, who earned $5.4 million in 2013 and is under contract through Dec. 31, 2020, will receive the $2.75 million buyout in his contract and other considerations, sources said.

By voluntarily relinquishing his head coaching duties, as part of his current contract,Brown would be "reassigned to another significant position" in the athletic department at an annual salary of $500,000 through the end of his contract.

That position would be similar to the "special assistant to the president" designation formerly held by Royal, sources said."

This is actually really fascinating times for the Texas football program and athletics. New AD is hired not even a month ago and replaces the AD that had been there for 30+ years. Mack news of "stepping down" from HC which he's had for 16 years is coming to and end. Barns (basketball) and Augie (baseball) each have been there over 15 years now and they have to be thinking their time might be up now.

Personally, I don't think this news comes out without Texas already having a HC 99% secure. Chip got his information from sources that put information out there when it's time they want it out there. They have been on lock down with him for awhile. So why come out with it now if they don't have a good feeling from a HC yet? The longer they go without news of the new HC the longer it hurts the current recruiting class and guys on the fence. Be it Saban or not, I think they know who the new HC is going to be and will be announced pretty quickly. I'm just happy that change has started.

This should end well.

Yup, just like they did when Chip reported that Dodds would step down before the end of the year. Dodds even went on national TV and said it was untrue. Whoops.

Yup, just like they did when Chip reported that Dodds would step down before the end of the year. Dodds even went on national TV and said it was untrue. Whoops.

Nate, say that Brown is definitely out. Would the fanbase for UT be disappointed if it was anyone except for Saban that got that job? It seems like the fanbase has been looking forward to Brown being gone for months and are dying to get a huge name in there, but outside of Saban and maybe Briles, who would satisfy the fans?

Nate, say that Brown is definitely out. Would the fanbase for UT be disappointed if it was anyone except for Saban that got that job? It seems like the fanbase has been looking forward to Brown being gone for months and are dying to get a huge name in there, but outside of Saban and maybe Briles, who would satisfy the fans?

I don't think they are looking for an up and comer to take a chance on. I think there is an offer to Saban out there and it will be decided pretty quickly in the next few days if he takes it or not. From other reports there seems to be some NFL coaches that have reached out to Texas and want to put their names in the hat. Some big names. If Saban says no, I think they will have some really good coaches to pick from. I actually would be thrilled with Briles as the HC. But I don't think he wants to leave what he's built there at Baylor.

Watch you guys end up with Chucky.

Malzahn, Shaw, Muschamp. A couple of pro coaches being thrown around.
Whoever the next coach is will have his work cut out for him.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

What no offer to James Franklin!?! :)

Reports out there that UT has a 10 yr 100 million dollar contract offer out to Nick Saban. Reports are also indicating he will accept it. But who the heck actually knows. Getting interesting.

Observations from this year:
Alabama is still one of the best teams in the country. Top three and would possibly win out if the 4 team playoff was taking place this year.
Speaking of 4 team playoff, if that was happening this year, I think you'd have FSU, Auburn, Alabama, and Michigan State in. But, I suppose Stanford could get some votes.
That Iron Bowl was crazy. A game for the ages. A stunning ending.
If Auburn wins the NC, sure the SEC would have 8 in a row, the state of Alabama would have 5.
Carlos Hyde is a beast. Braxton Miller is good too.
Gus Malzahn is an offensive minded guru.
The Iron Bowl might be great for the next few years.
Hindsight is interesting. Should Michigan have just played for overtime against OSU? I suppose they didn't have much to lose so going for the win doesn't seem so bad.
A lot of talk has been around Ohio State's schedule, which is weak. But have you looked at Florida State's schedule?

I did notice some talk of the SEC coming up to play the B10 up north... you do realize Alabama has played Penn State (x2), Michigan State, and Michigan in the past few years... and beat all of them? You think coming up there would make a difference?

Pretty exciting season.

They never come up in November/ December. I would love to see their speed on the field when its sub zero.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

They never come up in November/ December. I would love to see their speed on the field when its sub zero.

Keep Calm and Golf On.
Playing in cold weather is stupid.

Cold weather is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back