2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations Ricky!! I know how hard you have worked to see that number. So proud of you friend. :)

June 25th 2013 is when I had my gastric sleeve surgery. I was nervous about saying anything to THPers because frankly anything to do with your weight is embarrassing. After thinking about it for a few days, I went ahead and put it out there. The outpouring of love and support was really just overwhelming. Never once did I feel judged or awkward about it at all. That is really what THP is about. FAMILY. Coming together and supporting each other no matter what.

I was really sick and tired of being overweight. Felt lethargic all the time and just not happy with myself. As part of the surgery, for the insurance, you need to go to a few classes about research and what to expect, before you even discuss actually having the surgery with the doctor. My sister used to work for my doctor so I was pretty familiar with everything but I had to go. One thing that stood out to me and will forever, is that there are studies that show having this surgery or any bariatric surgery can add as many as ten years back on to your life expectancy. Having a daughter that was a little less than 1 years old, this was the tipping point for me. Yes, I know you should go into anything and think about whats best for you, but even if I could get to spend 1 second more of my life with her and my wife, it was all worth it.

6/25/13 came around. I was surprisingly not nervous. I knew what I wanted to do with my life and I knew how I was going to get there. With my wife by my side through the whole thing, I was released from the hospital 2 days later. Honestly, the surgery really wasnt that bad, but because they do it laparoscopic they need to fill you full of air and the gas pains for 2 weeks were almost unbearable. But through it all I knew why I was doing this. My THP families were texting, calling, and messaging me through the whole process and keeping me positive and happy. There are too many people to even mention for fear of leaving someone out. Even my wife could not believe the support I was receiving.

About 8 weeks after surgery, I headed to the Atlanta invitational. The part of the story, I left out was that the CT invitational was a week and a half before my surgery so seeing Josh and Morgan in Atlanta was kind of cool for them to see the transformation. Dinner Friday night in Atlanta, I walk in and see Josh and the first thing he says is "Holy crap man, you look awesome. What a difference" At that point I was down about 40lbs from when he had seen me last. At the course the next day, Morgan pulled me aside and said something similar. I cant even tell you what it meant for me to hear from both of them such positivity and encouragement. One of best friends in the world, Canadan, had been pretty much keeping in contact with me daily and keeping me positive and coincidentally, Atlanta was the first time, after knowing each other for 8+ years, that we met. He had similar words for me as well that really really touched me. I am sitting here almost with tears in my eyes typing this.

Fast forward to this morning, 6 months and 4 days post surgery, I weighed my self and was down 100.5 lbs. It's such an amazing accomplishment for me. Those of you who I have talked in detail with, know the struggles and hard work I have put in. I have completely changed my lifestyle. It has made me a much more positive and happy person and that is something I really wanted to do for my wife and child. My wife has been my rock through everything. She has supported me 10000% from day one and helped me in so many ways. I absolutely would not have been able to do this without her. To my THP family, you guys are and have been the other big part of this for me. You guys have supported me unconditionally. Even if it was a quick "Good job Dev" post or even thanking one of my posts in here, I have noticed, trust me. Those words of encouragement were like stepping stones for me to get through and around any obstacles I faced. I truly from the bottom of my heart love you all.

With all that said, I will not stop here. I will continue to live this life and continue to lose weight. People keep asking me if I have a goal weight or where I am trying to go, and my answer is always, I just want to be healthy and happy. I dont care about the number so much as I do how I feel. A little side note, I took a shower this morning, when I got out of the bathroom, I saw my daughter standing there smiling, with this hanging on the cabinet:

20131229_100314_zpsvzvdxhmo.jpg

My wife and daughter made that for me last night. My wife also proceeded to put together a scavenger hunt for me. When I got to the end this was in my closet:
20131229_100329_zps2lnuv2kp.jpg

20131229_100344_zpsyoophonr.jpg

In the envelope was 100 dollar bills. One for each lb. My wife said, as you spend this money think of it as every dollar you spend, its a lb you are getting rid of. I was just blown away. It was such a sweet and unnecessary gesture but one I will never forget. Forgive my rambling a bit but thank you if you took the time to read this.

Dev- through this you have been an inspiration to all of us. I can't even begin to tell you how impressive your transformation has been. Enjoy and savor this moment. You earned it!!

Ricky, as someone on the weight loss journey with you, you inspire me to keep working towards my goals. Thank you for sharing your story, and keep up the great work.

Ricky, glad to hear of your successful journey. The round in CT would have been challenging for a mountain goat, never mind someone with such a life changing event right around the corner. You continue to impress and inspire so many here on THP and welcome others into the THP family with open arms. Enjoy your milestone... The best is still ahead.

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

Ricky, I came into this post looking for a little something to help me with my weight loss and fitness program. What I found was truly inspirational! I'm so proud of you man. I had no idea that you had begun your journey when I met you in Atlanta. Keep at it brother.

June 25th 2013 is when I had my gastric sleeve surgery. I was nervous about saying anything to THPers because frankly anything to do with your weight is embarrassing. After thinking about it for a few days, I went ahead and put it out there. The outpouring of love and support was really just overwhelming. Never once did I feel judged or awkward about it at all. That is really what THP is about. FAMILY. Coming together and supporting each other no matter what.

I was really sick and tired of being overweight. Felt lethargic all the time and just not happy with myself. As part of the surgery, for the insurance, you need to go to a few classes about research and what to expect, before you even discuss actually having the surgery with the doctor. My sister used to work for my doctor so I was pretty familiar with everything but I had to go. One thing that stood out to me and will forever, is that there are studies that show having this surgery or any bariatric surgery can add as many as ten years back on to your life expectancy. Having a daughter that was a little less than 1 years old, this was the tipping point for me. Yes, I know you should go into anything and think about whats best for you, but even if I could get to spend 1 second more of my life with her and my wife, it was all worth it.

6/25/13 came around. I was surprisingly not nervous. I knew what I wanted to do with my life and I knew how I was going to get there. With my wife by my side through the whole thing, I was released from the hospital 2 days later. Honestly, the surgery really wasnt that bad, but because they do it laparoscopic they need to fill you full of air and the gas pains for 2 weeks were almost unbearable. But through it all I knew why I was doing this. My THP families were texting, calling, and messaging me through the whole process and keeping me positive and happy. There are too many people to even mention for fear of leaving someone out. Even my wife could not believe the support I was receiving.

About 8 weeks after surgery, I headed to the Atlanta invitational. The part of the story, I left out was that the CT invitational was a week and a half before my surgery so seeing Josh and Morgan in Atlanta was kind of cool for them to see the transformation. Dinner Friday night in Atlanta, I walk in and see Josh and the first thing he says is "Holy crap man, you look awesome. What a difference" At that point I was down about 40lbs from when he had seen me last. At the course the next day, Morgan pulled me aside and said something similar. I cant even tell you what it meant for me to hear from both of them such positivity and encouragement. One of best friends in the world, Canadan, had been pretty much keeping in contact with me daily and keeping me positive and coincidentally, Atlanta was the first time, after knowing each other for 8+ years, that we met. He had similar words for me as well that really really touched me. I am sitting here almost with tears in my eyes typing this.

Fast forward to this morning, 6 months and 4 days post surgery, I weighed my self and was down 100.5 lbs. It's such an amazing accomplishment for me. Those of you who I have talked in detail with, know the struggles and hard work I have put in. I have completely changed my lifestyle. It has made me a much more positive and happy person and that is something I really wanted to do for my wife and child. My wife has been my rock through everything. She has supported me 10000% from day one and helped me in so many ways. I absolutely would not have been able to do this without her. To my THP family, you guys are and have been the other big part of this for me. You guys have supported me unconditionally. Even if it was a quick "Good job Dev" post or even thanking one of my posts in here, I have noticed, trust me. Those words of encouragement were like stepping stones for me to get through and around any obstacles I faced. I truly from the bottom of my heart love you all.

With all that said, I will not stop here. I will continue to live this life and continue to lose weight. People keep asking me if I have a goal weight or where I am trying to go, and my answer is always, I just want to be healthy and happy. I dont care about the number so much as I do how I feel. A little side note, I took a shower this morning, when I got out of the bathroom, I saw my daughter standing there smiling, with this hanging on the cabinet:

20131229_100314_zpsvzvdxhmo.jpg

My wife and daughter made that for me last night. My wife also proceeded to put together a scavenger hunt for me. When I got to the end this was in my closet:
20131229_100329_zps2lnuv2kp.jpg

20131229_100344_zpsyoophonr.jpg

In the envelope was 100 dollar bills. One for each lb. My wife said, as you spend this money think of it as every dollar you spend, its a lb you are getting rid of. I was just blown away. It was such a sweet and unnecessary gesture but one I will never forget. Forgive my rambling a bit but thank you if you took the time to read this.

That might be one of the coolest stories I've ever read about weight loss dude.

I'm so #%@$#&$ proud of you.

Dev, I don't think there are enough words to describe what you have accomplished, so you will have to make do with 'Well done'

With the New Year almost upon us and since I've been slacking in the gym for a few weeks I decided I was going to get back at it today. I was able to get a 30 min run in, as well as some ab work, pushups and squats and finished it up with some stretching.

Will we have a new thread for 2014?

I got in 30 minutes of rowing this morning burning 277 calories.

Round scheduled for tomorrow and got a feeling my upper body will be quite damn sore....and that's a great thing.

Since I am fat and lazy right now I never get around to this thread but I just saw Dev's story from a few days ago and I am amped to get back into a healthier lifestyle.

Dev you rock and are inspirational!

Very inspiring Dev, congratulations on your life change!

Will we have a new thread for 2014?

I got in 30 minutes of rowing this morning burning 277 calories.

Round scheduled for tomorrow and got a feeling my upper body will be quite damn sore....and that's a great thing.

Hopefully dude. If JB and Morgan want one that is :)

Ran 4 miles on the mill yesterday. Running another 4 today and lifting upper body. Body by BEARD haha

Wicked.... Would it possibly be a good thing to have a Morgan Cup workout thread so people can follow along with those of us that are hitting the gym for Morgan Cup prep??

KG

Just Tapping Away

Wicked.... Would it possibly be a good thing to have a Morgan Cup workout thread so people can follow along with those of us that are hitting the gym for Morgan Cup prep??

KG

Just Tapping Away

Good idea dude, but personally I'd prefer to keep it within this thread if possible. That way it has more of a community feel - know what I mean? That way people can jump in and continue to share their workout stories and not simply watch from the outside.

KG

Just Tapping Away

The Morgan Cup isn't about the MCers segregating their journey to only those in the MC, it's about the entire forum (which I proudly refer to as my family) be a part of the event. Everything from practice, fitness, clubs, pondering, etc.. should be mingled within the forum to maximize participation. Following along with the MCers journey is one thing, but feeling like a part of it without being in it, is AWESOME.

I understand the community feel and will be posting on here regardless! Here is to all those hours we are all about to spend in the gym and at home as we get our bodies strong for 2014
a8age6u3.jpg

KG

Just Tapping Away

I understand the community feel and will be posting on here regardless! Here is to all those hours we are all about to spend in the gym and at home as we get our bodies strong for 2014
a8age6u3.jpg

KG

Just Tapping Away

Those are two vital pieces of equipment my man. Enjoy the workout!!

I'm making today a cheat day. It's the last day of the year and I've been working my a** off lately. I don't know what crap food I'm going to eat but it's going to taste good.

Those are two vital pieces of equipment my man. Enjoy the workout!!

I disagree. Those two pieces of equipment can go screw themselves. I am pretty sure they were forged by Satan himself.

Well its on! Lee talked me I to doing the gym route. We went together today and I was lost.... Did some cycling for 20 minutes then went to check out the machines... I tried to work on my chest and back as the focus points. Should be interesting as I go forward to what kind of routine I fall into. I have a target weight which is insignificant.... My primary goals is two fold, feel healthy and get off the dam blood pressure daily meds. I'm to young to have that in my life.

Well its on! Lee talked me I to doing the gym route. We went together today and I was lost.... Did some cycling for 20 minutes then went to check out the machines... I tried to work on my chest and back as the focus points. Should be interesting as I go forward to what kind of routine I fall into. I have a target weight which is insignificant.... My primary goals is two fold, feel healthy and get off the dam blood pressure daily meds. I'm to young to have that in my life.

Kevin I an so proud of you buddy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did day 1 of T25 and was pretty difficult (a lot of work to be done on coordination). I plan to use this as a fill in workout between runs and crossfit.

Back in the gym this am. I have the 5K runner and 10K runner apps on my phone, I really love them. My goal is to do the 5k runner at 7:30 mile pace and once that's completed in Feb work up to the 10K. So i completed day 1 wk 1 today. I also was able to do some dips and pullups finished up with some situps. Trying to get back into some yoga starting tomorrow but we'll see.

I am fully expecting to end up back on the blood pressure meds when I go back for the results of my 24hr BP reading so want to get fitter to ensure I have as short a time as possible on them

Back in the gym this am. I have the 5K runner and 10K runner apps on my phone, I really love them. My goal is to do the 5k runner at 7:30 mile pace and once that's completed in Feb work up to the 10K. So i completed day 1 wk 1 today. I also was able to do some dips and pullups finished up with some situps. Trying to get back into some yoga starting tomorrow but we'll see.

Are these the ones that are advertised as 'couch potato to 5K/10K' apps? If so, I have installed the 5K one and will be starting it as soon as I pick myself up some running shoes because I don't have anything these days that I can use for running as my badminton shoes are designed for specifically playing badminton. Might have a chance to look at some shoes tonight, but more likely will be the weekend before I get a chance to go trying pairs on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back