#TheGrandaddy Recap Thread & Special Announcement

Question for the #DreamTeam members.
How many of you went in with a certain setup in mind and came out with something different.
And I am NOT speaking of shafts that were fit, but rather club heads.
One more note on this... The putter.

I play the Cleveland Almost Belly, 39", and I LOVE counter-weighted putters now. I knew I was going to get a Tank putter, but I wanted a mallet head, not a #1 head like I have now. When I went inside to get fit for a putter, I ended-up liking the #7 Tank ok. So, that's what I was going to order. Then, playing golf with Greg Sabella, he told me of some of the new heads coming in the Tank! Hmm... Those sounded MUCH more intriguing. So, I was going away from the #7 to a different, soon-to-be Tank... Well, then I emailed Chris Koske, Global Director of Odyssey... Global... Director... Did I really email him?! Anyway, I took a chance and asked to see if I could get a putter that has already won on Tour: Chris Kirk won with a "Tankified" version of the Metal X Milled #1. I didn't want a #1, but could I get a #7 Metal X Milled, Tankified??? So, I asked...

Chris Koske said yes... HOLY CRAP! For REAL?!?!?!?!? He said "yes"! He and I went back-and-forth via email on just what I wanted, how much I wanted it to weigh, single-bend vs double-bend shaft, head style, counterweight amount, etc. So, I ended-up ordering a Metal X Milled #7, 400g head (they remove the base plate and add weights inside the bottom of the putter), 30g counterweight in the grip, 38", TANKIFIED!!!! At least for a while, this will be, probably, one of the ONLY ones like it in the hands of the general public!

I, honestly, can't believe it... First, that I even emailed Chris and asked, but that they even said yes! I mean, how cool is THAT?! Not only am I a Callaway guy after this trip, but I'm probably even MORE of an Odyssey guy now!!! I am SO excited for all of my clubs to get here, but this putter has me more excited than ANYTHING else. Just for the potential benefits to a part of my game that accounts for 1-2 strokes per hole, every hole, every round. Unreal... Metal X Milled #7 Tankified... Wow. I NEVER thought going-in that THIS would end-up in my bag.

Question for the #DreamTeam members.
How many of you went in with a certain setup in mind and came out with something different.
And I am NOT speaking of shafts that were fit, but rather club heads.

I did. I remember a certain someone talking about all of us were going to go Apex/Apex Pro combo set and BBA drivers. I WANTED that to be me. I wanted the pros, but I made sure to listen to exactly what the fitter told me.

After he watched me swing my driver and a couple swings with my current xhot pro gamers I went with what he recommended, and I am happy I did. No reason to make golf any harder than it is for me

What were the major differences in performance with the driver fitting? How far apart were your choices? How many shaft head combination did you each try?
In my driver fitting, I gained about 10 yards, head-to-head, Big Bertha Alpha vs my R1 on that range, on that monitor, that day. The spin went down from around 2900 with my R1 to 2300-2400 with the BBA with the Diamana S+ 62 X stiff. Dispersion was huge, but three factors allowed this to happen, only because I was being fit: going from stiff to X stiff, going from a 46" shaft down to 45", and going with a slightly heavier shaft. Huge advantage in dispersion and gaining distance because I was hitting the center of the face with a stiffer, heavier, shaft.

I tried three heads, 3 shafts. X2 Hot head first, X2 Hot Pro head, then the Big Bertha Alpha. I tried stock shafts in each, first Aldila Tour Green in each X2 Hot, stock Fubuki in the BBA, then the Diamana S+ that ended-up being the choice.

So Are the new BB and Alpha considered low spin heads?

Hmm... Not sure of how they are "billed", but, for me, head-to-head vs X2 Hot and my R1, they were lower spinning.

I certainly did.

I was Apex Pro all day before the testing/fitting began. But, I also told myself to leave the ego behind when I went through the fitting and to just go with the clubs that worked best for me, even if they were not the "elite" ones. While I can certainly play the Apex Pros, the Apex were the clear choice for me. I'm kind of proud of myself for sticking with the decision, because I have considered switching to the Pros several times since the fitting. I'm letting the numbers dictate instead of my ego.

Choosing a hybrid was also a pretty big deal for me. I have not really liked hybrids that much, and I have played with a 5W instead for years. Without testing different clubs, I probably would have gone BB 5W. But, I found that the X2Hot Pro 18* was incredibly easy to hit. Based on my experience, the hybrid was definitely the right call.
I had this same thing last year, I had my eyes set on a more blade style club, but went with the fitters recommendation of a more forgiving club and couldn't have been happier with the results, if it works, it works, and the ego can't help hit the ball any better! WTG on sticking to what the fitter said, and the nice thing is the APEX set is pretty too!

I had this same thing last year, I had my eyes set on a more blade style club, but went with the fitters recommendation of a more forgiving club and couldn't have been happier with the results, if it works, it works, and the ego can't help hit the ball any better! WTG on sticking to what the fitter said, and the nice thing is the APEX set is pretty too!

It's an easy sell with the Apex. They look and feel great to me. Combine that with the accuracy and distance gains, and it is a complete no-brainer.

I believe the Alpha is considered a low spin head. The BB is a little higher spin but on the spectrum I think it's still on the low side.

Alpha is on the lower end of the spectrum for sure. Takes the right set up of course. Kevin threw some balloons up there until he got into the right shaft.

I just got caught back up in here and the bags you all will be getting sound delightful and full of fun.

The knowledge you guys have about what clubs and why is truly amazing.

Heads are set up to be lower spinning yes. Added to the right shaft combination they are well balanced and similar spin numbers that I saw at the outing with the Xhot Pro back in May.

Some great thoughts in here guys. Since the fitting was done to gain access into what clubs are right for you, how did each of you decide on the putter?

Some great thoughts in here guys. Since the fitting was done to gain access into what clubs are right for you, how did each of you decide on the putter?

For me, it is all about what I am comfortable with. I have been playing a mallet for the last few years. I had the Metal X #7 and then the Versa #7. After putting with the MXM #7 it was extremely clear to me I had my winner. It is probably the most balanced putter I have EVER used, and the insert is incredible.

I saw a couple others that interested me, namely one we cannot discuss yet that I think you were rolling at ECPC and that one will be on my radar when it is released.

The putter was more of a go with a look and feel that was familiar. But as I said earlier it was a toss up between the Rossi and the 330 in the Metal X Milled line. It came down to which head felt the best as far a weight and how it reacted to with my putting stroke. Austie Rollinsonsaid that this acid etching would creat a pure roll due to the oval shape of the milling causing a lower launch angle and far less backspin.... I'm a believer after watching the balls reaction when struck with these heads. A heavier head helps keep my initial take away straight and smooth, no wobble if you will. The lines across the crossbar and the rear flange make alignment very easy. The sound of the acid etched face is very sweet. And the the roll of the face at impact is very pure.

I actually started fooling around with Odyssey putters prior to the grandaddy. I've always loved the looks of the #9 style putter so I finally took the plunge and bought a Tour Design #9 towards the end of the summer. It was love at first putt. It weighed in at 350g which is heavier than any putter I've used before but kept the sleek form factor I like - and it just worked. Loved the feeling of the milled face over the inserts. I loved the #9 style so much that I went and bought a #9 white Damascus. Gorgeous putter, but was definitely a bit lighter than the TD, so the TD remained my gamer.

When Sabella started teasing the #9 Metal X Milled with a high toe I just about lost it. Just sounded incredible. I just had my fingers crossed that it would be weighted closer to the Tour Design series. When we got to the ECPC I got to hold the putter in the Odyssey room and it felt absolutely great. The callaway guys confirmed that stock it was 350g and I immediately knew it was the one. I rolled it a few times when we went outside and there was no doubt.

I also rolled every other style they had, but nothing gave me the distance/speed control that the #9 MXM gave me. The roll was pure and the confidence it gave me was phenomenal. I absolutely cannot wait for it to have a permanent spot in my bag.

For me, it is all about what I am comfortable with. I have been playing a mallet for the last few years. I had the Metal X #7 and then the Versa #7. After putting with the MXM #7 it was extremely clear to me I had my winner. It is probably the most balanced putter I have EVER used, and the insert is incredible.

I saw a couple others that interested me, namely one we cannot discuss yet that I think you were rolling at ECPC and that one will be on my radar when it is released.
You big tease!!!

This was the decision where I went with my gut.

I absolutely love the feel of the Metal X Milled. I think it is going to be an absolute winner when the public gets a hold of it.

I could not find a #7 outside, though, and that has been my putter style for years. I found a Rossie, which was very, very nice. I almost pulled the trigger on the Rossie, but I decided to go with old reliable in the #7 even though I've never actually putted with it.

I have a feeling that I will eventually own the Rossie as well, though. It's a really awesome putter.

One of the unique things with the Alpha, and it's adjustability, you can adjust the loft, which normally will have an affect on both launch angles and back spin, and still keep your spin numbers down if you need to with the Gravity Core. That's some serious innovation.

Ultimately I went with what has been working for me. I switched to the #9 early in the season and I have been very happy with it. I got to roll the MXM at the ECPC and knew that I would be happy with the choice.

The fact that I went with 36" and standard lie and loft was easy for me as well. I have been playing that setup for a couple of years and it really works for me.

I have a really picky preference on putter heads and design until I tried Dan's #9 in October. Rolled it better than any putter I've ever used. Therefore, it was between the #9 and the Rossi that Kevin is getting. I rolled the Rossi MXM inside after lunch and it was really nice. However, when I went outside, I saw a #9 MXM and about drooled, I think we had 3 guys fighting over it (Joe, Dan, and myself) and for good reason. The combination of sound, feel, weight, and look just met everything I want in a putter. The alignments on them were very nice. I may do something like Johnny Rod (I think it was him) with a piece of tape on the top to sort of get the BWB look to it to keep it square. Then again, that's not really a problem of mine, we will see. Like Dan said earlier, I may go between the #9 MXM and #9 Versa (if I am inclined to purchase one), but it was a very simple choice after I rolled it so well on the tough part of practice green at ECPC.

Let me bring back again with another question.
Testing the drivers (3-4 of them), what were your thoughts going in? And coming out? And how and why did they differ?

Testing the drivers (3-4 of them), what were your thoughts going in? And coming out? And how and why did they differ?

Going into the day I had an open mind and wanted to try everything. I didn't want to limit my options and only hit the one that I wanted to begin with. After the day at the range I was convinced that I still have 4 great options. Both the BB line and the X2Hot line are some great clubs and fit with the right shaft will fit anyone's game.

For me the biggest difference in the two lines was spin. The BB are lower spinning heads than the X2Hots and that seemed to fit my swing a little bit better. I was dead set on getting the regular BB as I thought that would fit my game the best but after the fitting it was determined that the Alpha was the right match. I can't argue with 13° of launch and about 2600 RPM backspin. Pretty close to ideal number and it showed on the trackman. So pumped to get the new stuff in the bag and get after it again in 2014.

I was a little hesitant about the MX Milled putters. Didn't love the insert version and the White Hot Pro is extremely good to me. Just didn't think I'd find a reason to switch.

Knowing the head shape I like, I was able to spend 30 minutes on their gigantic putting green trying out the MX Milled #1. What I found was a very easy transition. Nice thing about Odyssey is they have proven shapes that can carry over in different mediums, so as a #1 lover I was able to adjust pretty seamlessly, even with the milled face. Weighting was very nice and I dropped a bunch of putts. Feel isn't all that big a departure from the insert (WHP) either. Obviously not quite the same thing, but soft.

I was 100% prepared to just stick with what I was playing. I hate to mess with a good thing when it comes to putting, but I saw no negatives and really enjoyed the aesthetics.

Thoughts going in were:

-X2Hot would be just like the X-Hot I play, especially considering it has the same shaft.
-Big Bertha would be somewhat of a non-factor. They hype of the Alpha sort of made it fade into the background. Basically a players driver that didn't have all the bells and whistles.
-Alpha would be a players driver.

Thoughts coming out:
-X2Hot wasn't all that like my X-Hot at all. Some similarites, but sound and output were different.
-Big Bertha is maybe the best driver in the line for the most people. Super high in the forgiveness department. Intuitive, simple adjustments that worked. Fantastic sound. Not just for players.
-Alpha was more forgiving than expected. I expected SLDR type output, but that wasn't the case.

I hope they have these drivers at the King for us to demo! Especially interested in the BB line although the alpha sounds like it works for the lower cappers.

Back