ns1189

Reaction score
Handicap
19.2 GHIN
I as on my way to breaking 90 for the first time ever (just started playing last year), but stuck behind a group that hit two balls every shot and looked for the ones they lost for five minutes every time. Had to rush through the last three holes to make it before dark. Ended up with a 91. What's the golf etiquette for someone to do in this case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask to play through. Was the hole ahead of that group open so you could move on?

I play on my own a lot, and any time I run into a foursome or a group that is keeping shots in the fairway, I don't really mind. However, as soon as they're off the fairway or out of my range, I'll tee off, then drive to my ball and ask to play through. I explain, politely, that I'm on my own and in a bit of a hurry. I've rarely been hassled, certainly not by people playing 2 balls for every shot.

It helps that lately I play in the mornings before work while the golf course is mostly populated by military retirees. I explain that I'm on a 1200-2000 shift so I'm trying to "sneak in 9 holes as PT." Works nearly every time.

Relax and enjoy being outside. That's my advice

if plying through was not an option or of it was also crowded ahead and wouldn't pay to play through there is one thing you could have done. If time was becoming an issue from early enough on, you could have possibly played the front twice. Chances are by that time you have found an empty front.

if plying through was not an option or of it was also crowded ahead and wouldn't pay to play through there is one thing you could have done. If time was becoming an issue from early enough on, you could have possibly played the front twice. Chances are by that time you have found an empty front.

That's a good suggestion. I never thought of that. It was completely wide open behind us. There wasn't really an option to play through. There were a few groups ahead of them but I rarely saw them.

It can be frustrating for sure. Yesterday, I was playing in a threesome, and one of our guys is fairly new to the game. So when a twosome pulled up behind us on the 1st tee, we offered to let them of ahead of us. They accepted, and the 1st guy proceeds to whiff on his 1st two swings, then hit a worm burner that went all of 50 yards, so he re-tees and hits the same exact shot! It was a very long day.

It can be frustrating for sure. Yesterday, I was playing in a threesome, and one of our guys is fairly new to the game. So when a twosome pulled up behind us on the 1st tee, we offered to let them of ahead of us. They accepted, and the 1st guy proceeds to whiff on his 1st two swings, then hit a worm burner that went all of 50 yards, so he re-tees and hits the same exact shot! It was a very long day.

Well, you know what they say... "No good deed goes unpunished." :angry:

I'm not sure etiquette is in play since they were playing two balls each. They had no regard for your game. I would have rolled up and played through.

I'm not sure etiquette is in play since they were playing two balls each. They had no regard for your game. I would have rolled up and played through.

What Freddie said....if they are putting 2 balls in play I would have rolled up and asked to play through.

That being said, if it was a log jam in front of them and they were playing two balls just to keep from having to wait themselves, then there is not much you can do

As said, if the course was jammed up theres nothing you can do besides relax.

If not I'd tell them youre playing through. Nothing turns 3 or 4 golfers into d-bags faster than a single coming up behind them.

Hard spot to be in and I can understand your frustration. Was this your home course? I know you said you saw some groups in front of them but not oftern. I agree with asking to play through, that's always a start. I might also suggest jumping one hole if front of them if it's open then once you finish, come back and play the one or two you skipped.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've done what agent Jay says. Usually when they see you are going around them they will say go ahead and play thru.

But, not always.

Jackal

Hard spot to be in and I can understand your frustration. Was this your home course? I know you said you saw some groups in front of them but not oftern. I agree with asking to play through, that's always a start. I might also suggest jumping one hole if front of them if it's open then once you finish, come back and play the one or two you skipped.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It wasn't on my home course. If it was I probably would have had a talk with the one of the marshals since I know them. When I'm playing I'm pretty aware of my play and the play of those around me. I always wave guys through if we are playing a little slow or there is a single or two some behind. The group in front knew we were right on too of them the whole time and I guess not everyone is as polite.

I played on Saturday behind a foursome that was sharinig one bag of clubs! Behid us was a sixsome of college kids. The sixsome kept catching up to us while waiting on the foursome and asked to play through. We said we were waiting on the next group and that we wanted to play through them. They got in their carts and jumped a hole infront of the one bag foursome. They sucked too. We were walking, everyone else riding. Between holes 3 and four, if you walk, you can shortcut right past the clubhouse. I stopped in and asked the guy what was up. By this time the foursome and the sixsome had joined forces and became a tensome on the 4th tee (with 4 sets of clubs between them) ! This is a nice saturday afternoon BTW. The kid in the clubhouse said that they had no rules about group size! My partner said that it was in the rulebook. The kidcsaid the rules were only in effect for tournaments. We ended up walking through them on the 4th, then jumped ahead by leaps and bounds.
When we came around after 9, the kid came out and told us we werent supposed to jump around holes! WTF?

Called the manager, he apologized all around, but still frustrating.

I played on Saturday behind a foursome that was sharinig one bag of clubs! Behid us was a sixsome of college kids. The sixsome kept catching up to us while waiting on the foursome and asked to play through. We said we were waiting on the next group and that we wanted to play through them. They got in their carts and jumped a hole infront of the one bag foursome. They sucked too. We were walking, everyone else riding. Between holes 3 and four, if you walk, you can shortcut right past the clubhouse. I stopped in and asked the guy what was up. By this time the foursome and the sixsome had joined forces and became a tensome on the 4th tee (with 4 sets of clubs between them) ! This is a nice saturday afternoon BTW. The kid in the clubhouse said that they had no rules about group size! My partner said that it was in the rulebook. The kidcsaid the rules were only in effect for tournaments. We ended up walking through them on the 4th, then jumped ahead by leaps and bounds.
When we came around after 9, the kid came out and told us we werent supposed to jump around holes! WTF?

Most places I have played have a rule that everyone must have their own set of clubs. Someone dropped the ball big time. We have a starter who this happens to a lot and he always says "They each had a set when they started". Then go out and find their bag that fell off their cart, Stewart.

Haha thats classic!.....I have never heard or played a course that allowed more then 4 in a group....in all my years of playing the only time I was with a group larger than 4 was either on 9 or 18 with it getting real dark....

Haha thats classic!.....I have never heard or played a course that allowed more then 4 in a group....in all my years of playing the only time I was with a group larger than 4 was either on 9 or 18 with it getting real dark....

You're lucky. Fivesomes (and moresomes) suck.

How could you not have rules about group size?!

I have run across the same situation at my course from time to time. Typically the people will wave me through. There are some that will not because I walk and I think their perception is that I am slower because I walk. When I encounter this and see that my efforts to get through them are futile, I will either call a ranger on their cell if they are patrolling the course or call the pro shop. They always make sure they straighten out the slow pokes.

Id never play there again, there is so much wrong in your first few sentences its crazy

I've joined up and played with 4 Somes before making a 5 some. However we stayed ahead of the groups behind us and if they caught up we let them play through.. it's all about actually considering others..which unfortunately seems not to bee considered by some these days.

Back