TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Hit 7 of the 12 fairways today that I hit the SLDR on. I was pleasantly surprised by the distance I was hitting the driver on the extremely wet fairways. There was almost zero roll today. Apparently I've been getting more carry than I thought with the SLDR. My old eyes have a hard time telling exactly where the ball lands and how far it rolls on a dry fairway, but today being able to see the ball mark and see where the ball ended really impressed me.

That's good news man, when we played I thought you were hitting it well and you had some pretty good distance going on with it.

Love hearing the gains made with this driver. Going to have to try one out soon and compare the 460 to the 430

KG

Just Tapping Away

Strongly pondering this club. Have R1 TP with Phenom 65 in stiff. Was absolutely nuking the R1 at end of season. No reason to changed but always intrigued by more distance.

SLDR is quite a solid driver may get one next year when the Price comes down!

Low hdcp friend hit SLDR 430 TP on monitor and it was most amazing ......can't wait til the Lefties come out!

Question. I believe I decided on the SLDR for my next driver. I have been doing a lot of research and came away impressed. However, I found one quote that made me pause:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tour...aylormades-new-sldr-driver.html#ixzz2pef2mrSz

Brandt Jobe (two-under 69): "I won't play one until they put a real hosel on it [as opposed to the adjustable hosel]. I can't get a flat enough lie with it. It's perfect for tall guys like Dustin Johnson, but not for me."

I am a short guy, only 5'8, 3 inches shorter than Jobe. For the short guys in this thread that have used it, any issues?

I think there are quite a few golfers that will love this driver and I think there are quite a few that will not. It is not a very forgiving club and that could lead to some disappointment.

Question. I believe I decided on the SLDR for my next driver. I have been doing a lot of research and came away impressed. However, I found one quote that made me pause:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tour...aylormades-new-sldr-driver.html#ixzz2pef2mrSz

I am a short guy, only 5'8, 3 inches shorter than Jobe. For the short guys in this thread that have used it, any issues?

I'm 5'5", and I never really saw too much that would make me think the lie was particularly different than any other driver. Inevitably what made me choose my gamer over the SLDR was a lack of lateral forgiveness, and just an inability to get it dialed in due to some inconsistencies in my swing, along with a shaft (Fujikura Fuel) that I haven't been able to get to work consistently with any other driver.

Looks like the SLDR is making a big presence at the Humana Challenge

I think there are quite a few golfers that will love this driver and I think there are quite a few that will not. It is not a very forgiving club and that could lead to some disappointment.

I think this is the best driver i have hit there are others that have my driver that can't get it in the air not a Driver that will work well for all players

I just got an SLDR to replace an R9. One round and it was the best I have ever driven the ball. I'm very happy with this purchase.

Looks like the SLDR is making a big presence at the Humana Challenge

That is impressive.

My experience with the SLDR is limited to 2 sessions on a simulator but both times the numbers and dispersion were good.

I have always played my driver at 8-9* of loft. I cannot wait to #loftup and see what this thing does

KG

Just Tapping Away

#loftup seems to be a solid trend, I'm ready to experience the benefits myself.

In due time....

I have always played my driver at 8-9* of loft. I cannot wait to #loftup and see what this thing does

KG

Just Tapping Away

When I got mine I immediately dialed it up to 12 degrees before even swinging it. Was playing 9.5 degrees in the RBZ Tour prior.

I replaced my 8.5 degree G25 with a 12* SLDR

I love it.

This is the only driver in Golf digest history to receive a 5 star rating, I really think it's a great club and needs to be set up properly to gain every advantage from it.

I have a Red Tie shaft coming in to mate up with my new SLDR. I am telling you this thing is scary long if you embrace the loft.

This is the only driver in Golf digest history to receive a 5 star rating, I really think it's a great club and needs to be set up properly to gain every advantage from it.

You're spot on. Numbers are really needed to get the most out of this one. Right shaft was HUGE for me as well.

This really surprised me given the lack of forgiveness that most, if not all, of the testers here found.

This really surprised me given the lack of forgiveness that most, if not all, of the testers here found.

I'm of the strong opinion that attitudes towards the accuracy of SLDR will change as the summer comes back to us. People will take TaylorMade's advice, loft up, find a good shaft pairing, and really excel.

Maybe I'm wrong, that's just what I experienced over the last few days. In both experiences with this driver, I found a great deal of accuracy on toe misses (high draw) and heel misses (low fade).

I'm really tempted to try one of these at 12* and find somewhere to get fit for a shaft. I think that could be really good for me.

This can go 1.5° in either direction right? One may end up in my bag.

Back