The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why, but I'd be more shocked if Pruitt left.

Both have Jimmy Sexton as their agent. That usually means staying put with a huge raise.

Those that know me know what another member of my family does, so this will come as no shock. Rumors about Coker are in fact more than just "made up". There have been discussions and the word has it, he could step in and start at a number of different programs immediately with Alabama being the one most are talking about. His unique graduation situation makes him perhaps the biggest "recruit" in the country if the rumors are true.

Randy Sanders knows all too well about the kid and what it could mean if he leaves. He battled Winston to the very end for the role and most believe he has the bigger of the arms. He is a life long Tide fan.

AJC reporting Pruitt to UGA to be next DC.

I hope you AJC folks are right here. Love this hire!

Pruitt would be a strong move for the Dawgs. Hope that the reports are accurate.

Big get for Richt. I'm really surprised, though.

So refreshing and so needed for this program at Texas. I don't know what the future holds in regards to W's and L's but this is a good start.

Culture Change at Texas
By Scipio Tex on Jan 14 2014, 1:35p 61

This was all related to me 2nd and 3rd hand by good people.

Strong and his coaches met with the team and outlined their expectations. He followed that with individual meetings with key players and 2014 seniors. The meeting was "very intense", but there was no yelling or drill sergeant act. No theater. Just a detailing of how things are going to be from now on. No one was thanked for being there. No one was patted on the back for being at Texas.

Strong expectations:

1. Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.

2. No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.

3. If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.

4. No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.

5. Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.

6. The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.

7. There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.

8. Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.

9. The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.

10. Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.

11. "I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Some quick context and thoughts of my own:

- A large number of sophomore, junior, and senior players live off of campus. They get a generous housing allowance and if they live somewhere cheap, they can pocket the difference. The other appeal is that they have a lot more freedom and they can get away from the watchful eye of the program. Strong thinks it undermines the team, causes underutilization of training resources, encourages players to hang out with old friends who want to drag them down, and creates cliques. Off campus rights will now be earned.

- Some of Strong's core values may seem incongruous ("no guns") with the current team or historical culture here, but Louisville generally recruited from an edgier crowd. We do have some knuckleheads though - and the larger message of not acting like a clown is important.

- Some of the players still don't understand that Strong's message was specifically to them. Brown's last years were focused on talking about things with no follow up. He was also absent from the team constantly and had little read on the mood or culture of the locker room. Some players may still be under the impression that this is more chatter with no follow through. They're in for a rude awakening. Their bad habits are about to be brought to light.

- We'll have some transfers. Some of them will be good players - some may even excel elsewhere. Any school teacher will tell you it's easy to start the year as a harsh disciplinarian and then ease up as you gain trust, but it's nearly impossible to start weak and then try to regain control. Some players simply won't be able to handle the new world.

Culture Change

Those that know me know what another member of my family does, so this will come as no shock. Rumors about Coker are in fact more than just "made up". There have been discussions and the word has it, he could step in and start at a number of different programs immediately with Alabama being the one most are talking about. His unique graduation situation makes him perhaps the biggest "recruit" in the country if the rumors are true.

Randy Sanders knows all too well about the kid and what it could mean if he leaves. He battled Winston to the very end for the role and most believe he has the bigger of the arms. He is a life long Tide fan.

I think I read of Coker that in order to transfer without sitting out, he has to graduate first, which means that he can't do anything until after the spring semester is over. Alabama is a ready-made situation for someone like that as we have a serious hole at QB with no one realistically but freshmen to put in.

I think I read of Coker that in order to transfer without sitting out, he has to graduate first, which means that he can't do anything until after the spring semester is over. Alabama is a ready-made situation for someone like that as we have a serious hole at QB with no one realistically but freshmen to put in.

That is correct.
The irony in someone graduating early and then still playing 2 years of college football is rather fascinating for the whole "student athlete" thing, but if I were him I would do it. Kid has star potential and staying at FSU gives him 1 year as a starter when Winston comes out next year (when, not if). Leaving gives him 2 years as a starter.

That is correct.
The irony in someone graduating early and then still playing 2 years of college football is rather fascinating for the whole "student athlete" thing, but if I were him I would do it. Kid has star potential and staying at FSU gives him 1 year as a starter when Winston comes out next year (when, not if). Leaving gives him 2 years as a starter.

There are a good number of guys who end up with their Masters degree in their five years, and considering all the issues with student athletes, at least this is a situation where the individual took the "student" part seriously. It is particularly interesting with 2 years remaining. There were obviously a couple of high profile guys who did for one year, Russell Wilson immediately comes to mind.

There are a good number of guys who end up with their Masters degree in their five years, and considering all the issues with student athletes, at least this is a situation where the individual took the "student" part seriously. It is particularly interesting with 2 years remaining. There were obviously a couple of high profile guys who did for one year, Russell Wilson immediately comes to mind.

Aaron Murray comes to mind.

Pruitt to UGA it seems.

Any background as to why? Must be something in order to leave a good shot at a second NC and then possible head coach the next year.

So refreshing and so needed for this program at Texas. I don't know what the future holds in regards to W's and L's but this is a good start.

Culture Change at Texas
By Scipio Tex on Jan 14 2014, 1:35p 61

This was all related to me 2nd and 3rd hand by good people.

Strong and his coaches met with the team and outlined their expectations. He followed that with individual meetings with key players and 2014 seniors. The meeting was "very intense", but there was no yelling or drill sergeant act. No theater. Just a detailing of how things are going to be from now on. No one was thanked for being there. No one was patted on the back for being at Texas.

Strong expectations:

1. Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.

2. No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.

3. If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.

4. No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.

5. Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.

6. The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.

7. There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.

8. Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.

9. The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.

10. Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.

11. "I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Some quick context and thoughts of my own:

- A large number of sophomore, junior, and senior players live off of campus. They get a generous housing allowance and if they live somewhere cheap, they can pocket the difference. The other appeal is that they have a lot more freedom and they can get away from the watchful eye of the program. Strong thinks it undermines the team, causes underutilization of training resources, encourages players to hang out with old friends who want to drag them down, and creates cliques. Off campus rights will now be earned.

- Some of Strong's core values may seem incongruous ("no guns") with the current team or historical culture here, but Louisville generally recruited from an edgier crowd. We do have some knuckleheads though - and the larger message of not acting like a clown is important.

- Some of the players still don't understand that Strong's message was specifically to them. Brown's last years were focused on talking about things with no follow up. He was also absent from the team constantly and had little read on the mood or culture of the locker room. Some players may still be under the impression that this is more chatter with no follow through. They're in for a rude awakening. Their bad habits are about to be brought to light.

- We'll have some transfers. Some of them will be good players - some may even excel elsewhere. Any school teacher will tell you it's easy to start the year as a harsh disciplinarian and then ease up as you gain trust, but it's nearly impossible to start weak and then try to regain control. Some players simply won't be able to handle the new world.

Culture Change

I give this about as much merit as I give his BS speech he gave last year after turning down the Tennessee job.

I give this about as much merit as I give his BS speech he gave last year after turning down the Tennessee job.

Why all the hate? Can't just let the guy move on and continue to do good at another school? Oh, that's right, he was suppose to stay at Louisville forever cause that's what he said in a release and he's not allowed to have a change of heart later when other schools come calling. Right. Remind me to check for recording devises when we meet up again!!

Why all the hate? Can't just let the guy move on and continue to do good at another school? Oh, that's right, he was suppose to stay at Louisville forever cause that's what he said in a release and he's not allowed to have a change of heart later when other schools come calling. Right. Remind me to check for recording devises when we meet up again!!

I know I am excited for this. He seems to be ready to make some changes.

Says the guy with the avatar of the school where Urban Liar coaches. Hilarious.

Says the guy with the avatar of the school where Urban Liar coaches. Hilarious.

Did I say he was some sort of saint? Nope sure didn't.

As I have stated previously they should just all keep their mouths shut especially when it comes to ethics.

Hilarious.

It's not just him it's all these guys. It's a joke and they should keep off the soap box because all they prove time and time again is how full of crap they all are.

It's not just him it's all these guys. It's a joke and they should keep off the soap box because all they prove time and time again is how full of crap they all are.

I agree. I hate that these coaches can leave on a moments notice, without reason, but usually cause of more $$$$. Recruiting plays a huge role in what these coaches say. The last thing a recruit wants to hear from a coach that's recruiting him is that he's on for 2 more years then gonna explore his options. Coach wouldn't last very long at said school.

I also hate the fact that said coaches go in for interviews at schools so they can get a look at incoming recruits, decline said job, and begin to call these recruits to come to their current school. That's nasty but is done. Recruiting has become a nasty business.

Some interesting stuff is coming out about why Pruitt really left FSU. It is sounding like a Petrino situation involving him and a co-ed that works in the admin office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back