What sight line system do you prefer on a putter?

What sight line system do you prefer on a putter?

• none: I like going commando - It's how Old Tom did it

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • single dot on top

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • single line on top

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • single line on back

• single line - top and back

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • double lines

• two circles (Odyssey Two Ball)

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • two squares (i.e., Cleveland Smart Square)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • combination (i.e., TM Ghost Tour, etc.)

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
Some comments on the TM Ghost Tour line of putters and how they had two "sets" of alignment aids:
Two powerful aiming aids: high-contrast topline and strong black parallel lines on top.

Ghost_FO-72_Address_hero_wide.jpg

This got me to thinking: What alignment aid do you prefer on your putter, and why (if you have a rationale)?
I'll add a survey ASAP. Here are the choices I can think of off-hand:

1. None - I llike going commando: That's how Old Tom Morris did it
  2. one sight dot on the top edge
  3. One sight line on top edge only
  4. One longer sight line on the back surface & no line on the top
  5. One sight line on both top edge and back surface
  6. Two sight lines on back surface (usually ball-width)
  7. Two circles on back surface
  8. Two squares on back surface (a la Cleveland Smartsquare)
  9. Combination of methods (TM Ghost Tour, etc.)

My preference so far is a single long sight line in back (either choice 4 or 5; 5 if I had to choose).

I just seem to be able to visualize a single line going to my target (cup or initial line on reaking putts) better than the 2-line, two ball stuff.

I like anything that's the same size as the ball.

One sight line on the flange. It can go on the topline too. I just want something to line up to the line on the ball.

I'm going with sightline on the flange as well. It's what my PR has, and I love the look.

Still want to give a fair shot to a sight dot when the time comes (with RST support) but as it stands, line on flange for the WIN!

I prefer it to be on the flange. To me it doesn't matter much as to if it's 1, 2, or 3 lines. I did struggle with putters that didn't have a line or just had the single dot.

I prefer a mellet over a blade putter as I prefer a longer sight line, whether that is a single / double / multiple line - I just find that with the longer sight line (than what you can fit on the top of a blade) I feel more comfortable with my aim (I just need to learn to read the green after that.....)

So far I have responded pretty well with what is on my Tiffany.

968E3DFDEBAC4692BF9ACEB9BEAA55B4.jpg

I like a single line to match up with the line on my golf ball. I've never really used anything else.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

I like two lines separated by a ball width mostly cause I'm used to it, but a single line in the center/sweet spot works just as well. I don't like super big/busy alignment aids like the two ball thing. The Smart square might be ok, but that is essentially a double line anyways if you think about it.

I like two lines separated by a ball width mostly cause I'm used to it, but a single line in the center/sweet spot works just as well. I don't like super big/busy alignment aids like the two ball thing. The Smart square might be ok, but that is essentially a double line anyways if you think about it.
I agree with this. I like that I can take a practice stroke and as long as I can keep the lines straight, the face and stroke are pure. Put the ball between those lines and repeat that stroke, and it goes where I'm aiming. I think the same would apply to a single line, I just find the double line (or squares) easier

DART... what should I select in the poll?

I don't know why I ever try to replace my 2-ball, I always end up going back to it.

I love sight dots and RST.

Single line, straight down the middle that extends all the way to the face. I loved the TM Corza Ghost back in the day for that, and now love my Bettinardi BB54 for that same reason. To be honest, I don't pay much attention to the lines that go out towards the sides of the putter on the BB54, but couldn't go without the sightline down the middle.

1026-bettinardi-bb54-640x360.jpg

Single sight line. Prefer on the topline but flange is a decent option also.

One sight line on the flange. It can go on the topline too. I just want something to line up to the line on the ball.

Captain Hawk says it all. As long as it lines me up, game time!

I am a straightline guy, but don't mind the other's. I think I focus more when there's just a single line.

I'm partial to the long line on top of my Rife. Yeah, it's old, but so is everything else in my bag.

41-WYlMJS2L.jpg

I like the single line with the two wings framing the ball like the Odyssey #7

Really don't want to see anything on the putter for alignment. If the putter comes with a sightline or dot I promptly remove it.

Yesterday I would've said single line on the flange. Today, I'm going with SmartSquare. Tomorrow I may say something else.

I like the double lines, kind of frames the ball in my minds eye, yet I seem to have a hard time finding this in a head I like.

I like double or even triple lines. Approximately the same width of the ball is good. My visualization is kind of a beam cast by the sight lines that I point at my perceived line.

The alignment aid on my Yes Sara & on the Odyssey Marxman seems to be what pleases my eyes the best. Till I posted the pic I didn't notice the line on the top. Its the B/W line that does it for me
yde6a3am.jpg

Back