Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

These two things sound very similar to my only round out with it. I think it's equally impressive from the rough or a tightly cut fairway, than it is from the sand (based on my crappy swing).

yeah oddly enough on all 3 of my swings with it during the rounds it was from the fairway so I cant even speak to how it did from rough. Dumb on my part for not even trying it

yeah oddly enough on all 3 of my swings with it during the rounds it was from the fairway so I cant even speak to how it did from rough. Dumb on my part for not even trying it

Stop hitting fairways haha- for testing purposes of course

This is one of those clubs that undoubtedly has some great tech, yet one I just would never be able to get over aesthetically.

This is one of those clubs that undoubtedly has some great tech, yet one I just would never be able to get over aesthetically.

I am very fortunate (and very much in the minority on the internet) that that stuff has never bothered me.

I am very fortunate (and very much in the minority on the internet) that that stuff has never bothered me.

Consider yourself fortunate. Believe me I wish my mind worked differently in many aspects of my life. Yet one never knows, #thingschange

Edit: Oh wait you do consider yourself fortunate haha

Consider yourself fortunate. Believe me I wish my mind worked differently in many aspects of my life. Yet one never knows, #thingschange

Edit: Oh wait you do consider yourself fortunate haha

Having hit this wedge on the range, that sole was not visible at address for me on full swings and pitch shots.

Having hit this wedge on the range, that sole was not visible at address for me on full swings and pitch shots.

Very good to know. It has probably been mentioned, but does that flange make it harder or prevent you from opening up the face in the same way you would with a traditional wedge?

Very good to know. It has probably been mentioned, but does that flange make it harder or prevent you from opening up the face in the same way you would with a traditional wedge?

Yes. Ball placement determines height according to Mr. Eagle.

That is the point of this wedge. You would never have to open it up based on the design.

That is the point of this wedge. You would never have to open it up based on the design.

I will say though, it is kind of refreshing to see a company put forth an effort to bring game improvement back to wedges. It has seemed that as of late OEM's kind of shied away from that portion of the market, which is somewhat surprising, considering many amateur golfers struggle with consistent wedge play.

I will say though, it is kind of refreshing to see a company put forth an effort to bring game improvement back to wedges. It has seemed that as of late OEM's kind of shied away from that portion of the market, which is somewhat surprising, considering many amateur golfers struggle with consistent wedge play.

IMO this is just a reintroduction of the Recovery Sole that is like 20 years old.

IMO this is just a reintroduction of the Recovery Sole that is like 20 years old.

Not exactly. I do believe when you try this (if you decide to), you will know exactly why myself and others have said that.

I feel the same way - but of course I'm also a high handicapper. Whatever works, man! Just want to score lower & have more fun - and this club is on my to-do list.

Yes. Ball placement determines height according to Mr. Eagle.
Blu is correct here. To manipulate your ball flight, it's as simple as adjusting the ball position in your stance. I sat on the range with mward and a few others this past weekend talking about that fact, as well, and showing how that worked.

War,
You need to pop over say a 5' tall bunker, your ball is 5' from the face of the bunker.

Would the ball position you play tend to be mid stance, back? Forward? How far back have you played the ball with this wedge, how far forward?

War,
You need to pop over say a 5' tall bunker, your ball is 5' from the face of the bunker.

Would the ball position you play tend to be mid stance, back? Forward? How far back have you played the ball with this wedge, how far forward?
I would put it out toward the front of my stance, and shift my weight to my back foot.

I have put the ball all over the place, from a foot behind my back foot to a foot out in front of my front foot. Some ultimate flops were made possible, too.

I feel the same way - but of course I'm also a high handicapper. Whatever works, man! Just want to score lower & have more fun - and this club is on my to-do list.

I have one here now so we can mess around with it hopefully soon

Mike, do you have the S, C , or both?
I've lost track, but if you are going to Hilton Head, I have both S and C wedges and plan on bringing them. You're more than welcome.

Well I think my run with the C is over. It was fun for a few shots but it just doesn't fit in the bag too well. 42 just seems a little too strong 48/50 would have been great.
tap tap taparoo

Well I think my run with the C is over. It was fun for a few shots but it just doesn't fit in the bag too well. 42 just seems a little too strong 48/50 would have been great.
tap tap taparoo
It's tough to fit that one in there with that strong of a loft, so I see where you are coming from.

I've lost track, but if you are going to Hilton Head, I have both S and C wedges and plan on bringing them. You're more than welcome.

I have an S.

Might take a few swings with the C.

That c wedge, being shorter like it is, is a bump and runners wet dream. Thing is awesome.

Back