Is there a true world #1

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
With there being so many great golfers on tour I wonder if there is a true worlds best. We have seen sustained consistency since prior to 2008 when TW fell off. I mean 12 years of dominating will earn you that spot.

Since then we haven't seen any sustained play from the worlds best, it's always in streaks. Henrik blazed at the close of last year. Rory in 2012 and adam Scott in chunks through out the past two years. Even TW has managed 10 wins in 32 or so events. But none of them have shown consistent form to garner the title of world number one.

So from where I sit there really is world number one. What say you?

I look at the World Golf Rankings much as I would a handicap index. It doesn't always show how golfers are playing right at that moment. It can give an idea of a pro golfers potential over the next say 3 months. Take any of the top 5 though and any of them have the potential to take #1 depending on how the WGC events and Majors fall.

There is but it sure as hell shouldn't be Tiger. How they could ever devise a scoring system that named a true number 1 I have no idea.

I look at the World Golf Rankings much as I would a handicap index. It doesn't always show how golfers are playing right at that moment. It can give an idea of a pro golfers potential over the next say 3 months. Take any of the top 5 though and any of them have the potential to take #1 depending on how the WGC events and Majors fall.
I agree Barry, it is like a hdcp. It shows their potential

There's not a single person playing on the tour that these young guys are intimidated by anymore and at any given tournament, there's probably 40 guys with a legitimate chance to win. I don't think I've ever seen a talent pool this deep on the tour before.

There is but it sure as hell shouldn't be Tiger. How they could ever devise a scoring system that named a true number 1 I have no idea.
There needs to be points taken away for poor finishes in fields with highly ranked players. Non major events such as Bayhill need to count far less than they do. And I also think they actually factor in their games/stats.

How do you figure?
Nobody else came close to winning as many times as he did in 2013.
He won some of the deepest fields in golf in 2013.

At this point, even if you said you had to pick by default, nobody could pick anybody other than Tiger Woods right now simply based on golf. If the goal is to win tournaments and do so with the deepest fields, then it cant be anybody else. If not Tiger than who?

How do you figure?
Nobody else came close to winning as many times as he did in 2013.
He won some of the deepest fields in golf in 2013.

At this point, even if you said you had to pick by default, nobody could pick anybody other than Tiger Woods right now simply based on golf. If the goal is to win tournaments and do so with the deepest fields, then it cant be anybody else. If not Tiger than who?

I agree with you JB. It's hard not to say TW is at the top on tour right now. He may not be having stellar weeks the past few months, but when he enters a field his name is mentioned as a favorite. Outside of TW, who could you say is on top of his game right now???

I think there is a No 1 but the measuring stick to get there needs some adjusting, it's over complicated and needs to be simplified. Tiger is the guy for me, No one did what he did last year and he earned the spot.

I think there is a No 1 but the measuring stick to get there needs some adjusting, it's over complicated and needs to be simplified. Tiger is the guy for me, No one did what he did last year and he earned the spot.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Of course there is a clear cut #1. Heck, even if it was simply by default it would be the same guy because nobody in their right mind could think someone else over the last 12 months. It does not mean the system in place works well, because I do not think it does (especially being 2 years out), but right now, of course its Tiger Woods.

Tiger has dominated it for a long time, some have dabbled with it and touched it but really no one else can keep it lol.

Tiger Woods until he stops winning a handful of tourneys each year.

To answer the topic, yes there is.

Should the ranking system change? Yes.

I agree with you JB. It's hard not to say TW is at the top on tour right now. He may not be having stellar weeks the past few months, but when he enters a field his name is mentioned as a favorite. Outside of TW, who could you say is on top of his game right now???
The way henrik played at the close of the year, he could be called world number one or the odds on favorite to win. TW gets the title of favorite because he draws ratings from average folks and the fact that we still are living pre 2008.

i see countless post about how he doesn't deserve it or who is playing the best in the world right now. I remember when Scott won the Masters, numerous post went up that he should be number one. Hell every time TW falters people say he shouldn't be number one and they always point to the majors. The #1spot doesn't show the entire story like most score cards down show how someone made par.

Unless we put all weight on majors it has to be Tiger. Subjective I guess but week in week out these are the deepest fields we have ever seen and remember, Tiger has a huge role in that. Tiger didn't get better to compete with everyone else, everyone else got better to compete with Tiger. He has driven the level of compete up to what we have today.

The way henrik played at the close of the year, he could be called world number one or the odds on favorite to win. TW gets the title of favorite because he draws ratings from average folks and the fact that we still are living pre 2008.

i see countless post about how he doesn't deserve it or who is playing the best in the world right now. I remember when Scott won the Masters, numerous post went up that he should be number one. Hell every time TW falters people say he shouldn't be number one and they always point to the majors. The #1spot doesn't show the entire story like most score cards down show how someone made par.

I agree with you from that standpoint Freddie. After looking at the calculations for World Rankings it looks as if the system may be flawed for the question being asked. "Points remain on a player's tally for two years (up to a maximum of 52 events played during that time), but are reduced on a sliding scale after 13 weeks...)

Henrik IMO has played the best over the last year, but based on ranking calculations TW gets the nod.

However can we really say there is a #1 out there?

I agree with you from that standpoint Freddie. After looking at the calculations for World Rankings it looks as if the system may be flawed for the question being asked. "Points remain on a player's tally for two years (up to a maximum of 52 events played during that time), but are reduced on a sliding scale after 13 weeks...)

Henrik IMO has played the best over the last year, but based on ranking calculations TW gets the nod.

That was the point when I started the thread. It's not a bash on tiger or the WR but a conversation about is there really a true number one

How many tournaments did Stenson win last year? Because Tiger won 5

to also ask some of what JB did. If anyone I mean anyone Else wins as many times as Tiger does last year How are we not saying that is a Career year for them? We happen to see a run that frankly I do not think we will see in our lifetime again so the bar is insanely high but all those wins say alot.

To me the rankings right now are like the College FBS sometimes the right team or in the case is number 1 but the system is broke and we need a better one......IE like you said Freddy bay hill counting for less.

So are we talking about how the system ranks a player as #1, or how fans, other golfers, etc would rank a player as #1? Maybe the 2 are tied together. You say TW gets the nod from average folks because he gets ratings from them, and of what he's done in the past. But there's some intelligent people on here who are more than the average fan saying TW is probably #1. Will there be other opinions? Sure. But I better TW would win in a poll.

I still think you can't say Tiger is #1. We all struggle with the game if golf at times and the pros are no different. There could be arguments for a lot of other guys but no one has dominated golf like Tiger and in fields that are incredibly deep. I don't think you necessarily have to win every week to be considered the best golfer. Being able to finish in the top 10 in most of your starts still means you are one of the best golfers that week.

But I do think the ranking system is flawed but really how do systematically rank players? They could do like they do in college sports and have a panel that votes every week but with guys not playing a full schedule that would be incredibly difficult to do.

That was the point when I started the thread. It's not a bash on tiger or the WR but a conversation about is there really a true number one

...and coming from you Freddie, I would have to say all of THP didn't take it that way.

How many tournaments did Stenson win last year? Because Tiger won 5

Well you have us there...Henrik only won 2 PGA Tour Events, but can we say that based on the Fedex Cup, those were the top players in the game last year?

...and coming from you Freddie, I would have to say all of THP didn't take it that way.

Well you have us there...Henrik only won 2 PGA Tour Events, but can we say that based on the Fedex Cup, those were the top players in the game last year?

Sure, but Tiger won the Players and two WGC events. Stronger fields than the FedEx cup and up there with any major.

Sure, but Tiger won the Players and two WGC events. Stronger fields than the FedEx cup and up there with any major.

I don't know if all those tournaments were stronger than the Fedex tournaments. There is a reason why all those guys are in the final tournaments of the year, while their world ranking may not compare are They really weaker fields? Isn't part of the discussion that the world ranking is flawed?

I don't know if all those tournaments were stronger than the Fedex tournaments. There is a reason why all those guys are in the final tournaments of the year, while their world ranking may not compare are They really weaker fields? Isn't part of the discussion that the world ranking is flawed?

Let's just look at the Tour Championship though. Best 30 guys from the PGA tour. WGC Cadillac, best 80 players from around the world.

Back