Playing New Equipment Right Away

drp3434

I'm either golfing or wishing I was golfing
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious to how people would go about this, as we have #TheKing coming up this April.

If you were to get a new piece of equipment, one that is pretty vital to your game, with little time to warm up with it before putting it to use, particularly in competition, how would you go about it?

Would you use it a majority of the time in your warm up practice to get as many swings as possible?
Would you make sure to take your swings with it extra ease and focus when using it?
Would you just let it rip like it's already a part of your bag?
If you were struggling a little with it, would you maybe not pull it out as much and use a different club, or would you be too excited about it still and stick with it?
What would do?

I am slow to decide on what to put in the bag, but once I go with it, I will fully commit to it. I know that you have a unique situation with the event in April, but I would more than likely just put it in play and spend some extra time on the range or hitting a couple of extra shots on the course.

Grip n rip. Trust it I would.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

If I had no time to warm up to it, then it goes in the bag and put to use on the first opportunity I can. If not I go to the range and play with it. Nothing special, just simply to get a feel for it.

Im with this guy... as soon as I get a new club I try and put it into play as soon as possible. The quicker you play it the quicker you get accustomed to it

Get in as many swings as I could. Best to see what you can do with it on the range than wait to find out on the course.

I don't believe in the whole "breaking in/getting used to" thing myself, but, I change a LOT so I sort of had to get over it quickly.

Hit it a few times during my warm up as part of my normal routine. Or just do what I did today with an old beat up Cleveland Launcher 7 wood that I purchased for $9 off the bay and stuck in my bag today. Hit it like it's been there forever. 2nd shot on #1 called for a 185 shot against a slight breeze so I pulled the 7 wood (no range session prior to play), took one practice swing, then put a good swing on it and watched it settle about 20 feet from the hole. Was 4 for 4 with it hitting balls into the green today.

I think if you know and trust your swing, you can adjust pretty quickly/easily. Just gotta put it in and go with it I think.

I don't believe in the whole "breaking in/getting used to" thing myself, but, I change a LOT so I sort of had to get over it quickly.

What? You having to use different equipment alot? No way, doesn't sound like you at all.

But how about the Ultimate Testings that we have now had 3 of. I think all of the participants were able to figure them out well enough to play with after a simple range session. It's not like reinventing the wheel, just different distances and feel/aesthetics. Go out, game it, and have fun doing it!

I like to think of it in terms of value.

The sooner you use it, the more valuable it becomes to you!

I get a new club and can't wait to let it rip.

Since i don't make a living playing i put it in the bag right away and try to get a range session in before playing a new club on the course if i can

It would depend on what club it was and what course & conditions I was about to face. The only exception to that is putter.

I would say it depends. It depends on how big of a change the club is versus my normal gear. If it was a big change that could affect rhythm or timing (shaft, weight) I would integrate slower. If it was a minimal change, it'd probably go in the bag quickly.

Good stuff. Not necessarily looking for an answer for myself, just curious to how many different approaches there might be. Especially with a competition at stake. Sounds like most so far just get after it. I like it! :D

At the end of the day the all clubs have the same 3 parts. Head, shaft, and grip. Grab that grip and let 'er rip!

grip it and rip it!!!!

I'm the same way. I've demo'd it plenty before I buy new equipment, so I have an idea how it will perform on the course.

Unless it's a big mis-match for you I think you'll adjust pretty quickly.

If its fitted it should be no big deal. A little range time prior to pegging it should be fine.

I bought all new clubs last spring. I demo'ed most of them on the course before I bought them but once it was done, I was playing well almost right away. Getting fit is key. I paid for a full fitting at a Callaway fitting center but did not buy from them (they knew this up front). I bought everything from my home course but they don't have the proper fitting technology.

I think it depends on whether it's irons or woods. If the driver is pretty close to your current gamer, hopefully it will transfer to the course. If it's irons and they are not fit like your gamers, there could be some different shot shapes showing up which will take a bit longer to adjust to. Like I play one half inch longer and +2 upright. Playing standard irons would be an adjustment period.

Curious to how people would go about this, as we have #TheKing coming up this April.

If you were to get a new piece of equipment, one that is pretty vital to your game, with little time to warm up with it before putting it to use, particularly in competition, how would you go about it?

Would you use it a majority of the time in your warm up practice to get as many swings as possible?
Would you make sure to take your swings with it extra ease and focus when using it?
Would you just let it rip like it's already a part of your bag?
If you were struggling a little with it, would you maybe not pull it out as much and use a different club, or would you be too excited about it still and stick with it?
What would do?

I have several thoughts on this but I'll go with my gut. Even though these are friendly competitions I'm competitive and want to win period. If I got a new bag that I never hit before I'd focus on the driver and irons, I'd game the irons at about 80% and wouldn't push the unknown in a competition. I don't have to reach all par 5's in two and par with new gear in most cases will be enough to win. Let your opponent go crazy going all out from the trees, bushes, desert, or where ever while you play from the fairway.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem to go at it. Case in point. Went down to FL on business. Airline lost my clubs and was playing a round in about 2 hours after landing. Wake stops by his parents house and grabs his old bag of clubs. Had a very enjoyable round with him and Mward. Just had no choice and played. It wasn't too different.

JM

Assuming that there aren't drastic changes as compared to what you were previously playing then it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I'm a believer in that your swing is what it is and since you don't change your swing to play a club all you can do is go out and swing your swing.

Back