Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

That c wedge, being shorter like it is, is a bump and runners wet dream. Thing is awesome.
Heck yeah it is, dude. It's built for that kind of shot, and with the spin the C Wedge imparts, a hop and stop on a low runner is a thing of beauty.

To quote Austin Powers: "Yeah, Baby!" Thanks Mike!

No problem at all, hopefully those that haven't tried it yet give it a whirl

That c wedge, being shorter like it is, is a bump and runners wet dream. Thing is awesome.

Yeah. This will be my < 50y club of choice if I have some landing area to let it run.

Those of you who have tried it & like it - have you also tried the Taylormade ATV's? How would you compare them? I was getting pretty good with my 58* toward the end of the season, but if there's an easier way to be more consistent & put up lower scores - I'm in!

Those of you who have tried it & like it - have you also tried the Taylormade ATV's? How would you compare them? I was getting pretty good with my 58* toward the end of the season, but if there's an easier way to be more consistent & put up lower scores - I'm in!
I only played one round with a 60° ATV; and have only played one round with my 58° SmartSole, but thought they both were similar in turf interaction.

The big differences for me, was the weight placed behind the center of the club face on the SmartSole (the ball seems to "pop" more off the face). The ATV also had a KBS shaft which felt heavier.

Unfortunately, I never played the ATV from the sand, so can't comment at all on how it performs from there.

I only played one round with a 60° ATV; and have only played one round with my 58° SmartSole, but thought they both were similar in turf interaction.

The big differences for me, was the weight placed behind the center of the club face on the SmartSole (the ball seems to "pop" more off the face). The ATV also had a KBS shaft which felt heavier.

Unfortunately, I never played the ATV from the sand, so can't comment at all on how it performs from there.

Thanks, man! I appreciate the feedback. I would guess you can get "cuter" with the ATV - open it up, etc. I also bet the Smart Sole wedge is more foolproof - more repeatable once you get the stroke down (but I'm only guessing here).

These are in my head from the weekend. Second best wedge I saw.

I had one in the bag and didn't use it much due to lack of practice with it. I have to get used to setting up square. I did watch War Eagle use his quite often this past weekend with good results.

I took the SS SW out to the practice green today to try to get a feel for it, since I had only hit it a couple times with pretty poor results.

Once I learned to trust it, it was amazing for me around the green and out of the sand. I didn't even want to hit my 588CB for practice after I got used to just pointing and shooting with it. The only issue I had at all was that I'm so used to lining up open to target on short wedge shots that I was actually hitting consistently left of my target line. Once I started lining up square along with the square face, this thing is deadly. Combining it with the new Bridgestone B330RX was like shortgame magic for me. If I can take this to the course, it'll be a game changer for me.

I have always had trouble using normal wedges so when I purchased a new set I wanted a set that went through to LW, I settled on the Callaway X Hot's 4-LW. Well I wasn't any better out of the sand with the SW or with the Lob Wedge on short shots but love the rest of the set. Then I stumbled on the Smart Sole wedges tried them and loved them. I have never been really good at chipping either but found I could get a lot closer using the C exclusivly for chipping, and can use the S out of rough or the fairway much better than I could ever use my LW and havent left a shot in the bunker yet, (as you can see my short game sucked lol). I am on average 7 to 10 strokes a round better with these two clubs.

For those of you who are gaming this right now, if you have used a normal open low handed stance out of the sand, how much effort did it take to change to get the benefits of the S wedge? Is it simply a trust thing?

For those of you who are gaming this right now, if you have used a normal open low handed stance out of the sand, how much effort did it take to change to get the benefits of the S wedge? Is it simply a trust thing?

For me, it was complete trust. The first few times I tried to hit it were on the course and that didn't go very well. With less than 30 minutes on the practice green, I was completely confident in it. So much that I've taken my other 58* out of the bag since I found myself never using it anymore.

For me, it was complete trust. The first few times I tried to hit it were on the course and that didn't go very well. With less than 30 minutes on the practice green, I was completely confident in it. So much that I've taken my other 58* out of the bag since I found myself never using it anymore.

Wow. That says alot. I like getting creative around the greens, but sometimes I think it hurts me more than it helps. I think this would force me to simply play a shot and not overthink it.

You nailed it. That is exactly what it is. I was able to practice with it before bringing it to the course which helped. But now what I am learning is that there are a few things this wedge does so well, that its near disturbing. That short sided thick rough shot that I used to try the impossible or settle for a long putt, has now become a routine shot.

You nailed it. That is exactly what it is. I was able to practice with it before bringing it to the course which helped. But now what I am learning is that there are a few things this wedge does so well, that its near disturbing. That short sided thick rough shot that I used to try the impossible or settle for a long putt, has now become a routine shot.

Wow. I love reading this. Again, why make the game harder? This one is also a near lock for my MC bag. I am really going to try to make the game easier for myself this year. That is my goal. Get rid of some of the vanity (not sure I can get rid of all of it haha).

The main thing for me is just trusting the bounce of the club. I played a round yesterday and was in the lower of a two tiered bunker. Opened up the face, trusted the bounce and got out of the bunker and over the other.

The most deadly of the two Smart Sole wedges is EASILY the C (42*). It took me a few rounds to get the distance dialed in but this club is a must for players who struggle with chipping around the green. Really accurate and the club puts backspin on the ball that helps it check up, even with the low ball flight.

The C is the club that will help you get up and down or even hole out.
It's an extra wedge for most but I struggle with woods so I took out the 5 wood and added the C...game changer

The most deadly of the two Smart Sole wedges is EASILY the C (42*). It took me a few rounds to get the distance dialed in but this club is a must for players who struggle with chipping around the green. Really accurate and the club puts backspin on the ball that helps it check up, even with the low ball flight.

The C is the club that will help you get up and down or even hole out.
It's an extra wedge for most but I struggle with woods so I took out the 5 wood and added the C...game changer

I'm glad I'm finally not the only one on here that's going to play the C! Was starting to get lonely. :)

I've got a repeatable swing from 60y and 30y so far. What I need is to find the swings for the rest of the 10y ranges. That will come when winter breaks. But I'm already of the mindset that any shot inside 60y I will need to have a good reason not to use it. And 30y and 60y are being added to my layup distances. Before this club anything from 10y-95y was no sure thing.

I would try out the C, but to be honest I would have to take a club out of the bag to make room for a specialty club.

I said the same thing about the S, but it easily knocked my CB 58* out of the bag once I realized that most of the shots that the CB was capable of that the S weren't are shots that were high risk and there were better alternatives for anyway.

I just don't see the C in the same light though.

I'm glad I'm finally not the only one on here that's going to play the C! Was starting to get lonely. :)

I've got a repeatable swing from 60y and 30y so far. What I need is to find the swings for the rest of the 10y ranges. That will come when winter breaks. But I'm already of the mindset that any shot inside 60y I will need to have a good reason not to use it. And 30y and 60y are being added to my layup distances. Before this club anything from 10y-95y was no sure thing.

I can't hit it well from outside of 20yds. For some reason, I do struggle with getting a good, lofted shot from the C. I end up hitting a low lofted pitch that bites b/c of the backspin. I'm sure it's user error. I'll start working on it though b/c it's a club that gives me a ton of confidence. At first, I was a little embarrased by it but that quickly went away when i learned to leave the ball close to the pin...played yesterday and had the most one-putts ever b/c i was chipping so well.

If it's max game improvement, I have to give it a shot...heck, pretty much everything in my bad is supposed to be "easy" to hit...

I only carried 13 clubs, so that wasn't a problem for me. I go from driver to 3hy at the top. Leaves me with a good 70y gap up there (270 to 200), but I've not found a fairway wood I could hit well to warrant the spot. That left open the spot for the C. What it's also done for me is focus my practice time. Instead of having to work on half swings with 5-6 clubs, I really only need to work on 2-3 (the S, and possibly the PW). As it stands right now, I am following Cleveland's mantra of making my short game down to 2 clubs. We'll see what the season brings, but more time focusing on fewer clubs fits into my schedule a lot better for results.

I only carried 13 clubs, so that wasn't a problem for me. I go from driver to 3hy at the top. Leaves me with a good 70y gap up there (270 to 200), but I've not found a fairway wood I could hit well to warrant the spot. That left open the spot for the C. What it's also done for me is focus my practice time. Instead of having to work on half swings with 5-6 clubs, I really only need to work on 2-3 (the S, and possibly the PW). As it stands right now, I am following Cleveland's mantra of making my short game down to 2 clubs. We'll see what the season brings, but more time focusing on fewer clubs fits into my schedule a lot better for results.

How do you swing your C? I'm curious as to how much loft you can get out of it for those 40yd shots. mine tend to be so low that it'd be a bump and run at that point and I'd be likely to come up short.

How do you swing your C? I'm curious as to how much loft you can get out of it for those 40yd shots. mine tend to be so low that it'd be a bump and run at that point and I'd be likely to come up short.

I take a 3/4 swing it comes in low but pulls up quick, I can get it much closer than I can with my 59* LW from the same distance, it usually comes up short due to poor contact or wind or long due to getting it thin. The C is just about Idiot proof lol.

My natural shot is a high ball. The problem I tend to have is keeping a ball down. Check out the 3rd shot on this video. It's with the C. I max at a 3/4 swing but otherwise I take a normal swing. http://youtu.be/K7DsuoLi-Is

I keep it in the back of my stance and hit down on it.

That was a good video Rob. Thanks for sharing.

That was a good video Rob. Thanks for sharing.

The video served dual purposes. Over the next month I dropped 2 inches from my waistline. ?

Back