JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We go to courses all the time and up until recently I had not really noticed the major difference in carts. Yamaha, Club Car and EZ GO are the big three and the basic functions are the same on all, but that seems to be where the similarity ends.

Lots of different features from storage and other things. Recently I have been looking into them a bit more and living in a golf community it might not be the worst thing in the world.

Do any of you own your own golf cart?
Do you have a brand preference?

I don't really have any brand loyalty, I just want an electric one with the governor removed and with A/C. After that, no preference. The ones that look like custom vehicles are pretty fun looking though.

Polaris had a neat model in 2010 and maybe 2011 called Breeze but it seems like that must have been a failed experiment.

I don't own one but I might consider a gas one if I was looking. No batteries to charge etc.

As far as carts go the only preference I have is electric over gas. They seem to be quicker and much much quieter. Oh and they don't stink like gas. My home course has gas and they suck. Luckily for me I walk 90% of the time.

My home course has gas powered Club Car's which were new in 2012 (fleet of 44). They trade up every 3 years, so there are very little problems with them. I think they have had Club Cars for several years.

I had an 80's cart, I think it was either an EZ-Go or a club cart, but anyways it was a family friends retirement gift for 30 years as the sheriff of the county. my middle name is after him and my dad and I are like kin to him, so of course we got it. it had shag seats and it was purple and it was freakin awesome. but, we don't have enough space to store it, so we stored it at my dad's friends house. said friend didn't keep the batteries charged so they went bad, so we ended up having to sell it for like $100 :banghead::at-wits-end:

I have a club car. I think it was the "preferred" cart here when I moved in and they are still very popular.

In Florida electric is the way to go. No storing gas, no oil changes or tune ups. The real advantage to gas is torque for climbing hills and that is not a factor here.

I think the rebuilt Club Car is among the cheapest and most reliable as well as most available. My cart is 15 years old and has performed well. Battery replacement is expensive but nets out to about $100 par year.

I like the electric ones better because they are more environmentally friendly and they don't stink, but I can see recharges being a pain. Plus the electric ones crawl up big hills, which we have a fair few of here in WA.

That being said, I rarely use carts unless I am required to, so I'm not the expert. I would much rather walk.

This is second hand sort of. My brother owns his own as they are used at his Marina for transportation (as if a boat wasn't expensive enough) to and from the store and socializing. Being down there a lot, I have noticed that the Yamaha and Club cars seem to offer the nicer models. That is to say, the wood look, glove boxes, more plush seating etc. Some of this may be the different levels of options that were added at the time the cart was purchased though. Since its in a Marina, it is electric as gas is forbidden. Batteries seem to have lasted very well for him. In any of the models he has ever had, I have never seen him need to replace any batteries. I imagine having one for personal use or maybe events, the wear and tear on the power supply wont be near as bad as one that is used for 2 - 2.5 rounds a day.

Not much info, but hope it helps you in some way.

JM

I have an older Club Car that's never been on the course.... It has rear seats where the clubs would normally be mounted and is lifted with bigger tires. Nearly everyone in our neighborhood has one even though we don't live in a golf community. We are in an area that has 10 acre lots and a lot of us neighbors are good friends, so after we get back from work, the golf cart becomes the primary means of transportation. Especially all the teenagers, they'll load up on about 5 golf carts and head to the lake or to each other's houses.

I also take it to the track with me to run around in and to tow the car back to the pits.

I work on carts all the time at the course I work at. Club car is the popular one around here, but have many issues. Not many places around here use electric for some reason, but from what I know, batteries are super expensive to replace for commercial models. I've only seen Yamaha recently but they seem like pretty good machines. No matter what brand you get, there will be pros and cons.

I love my 2007 easy go, all rebuilt with cover and heater for Kansas weather!

I would love to have my own cart, we live close enough to the course that I could buzz over there without much trouble. It would be nice to customize it with options that you like, say a nice cover and heater would be great up this way.

The one thing that stops me every time is that the "trail fee" at most courses is almost as high as renting a cart, within a couple bucks, so why bother owning one.

I have a couple old Harley Davidson golf carts. Both are 3 wheeled. One gas steering wheel, one gas the big old triangle thing to steer with.

They are for sale.......

JB we must be long lost brothers. I just started perusing craigslist for one as I now love about a block from the course. All I can say is alloy wheels and a lift kit. Does anyone know if they government still gives a kickback for electric?

JB we must be long lost brothers. I just started perusing craigslist for one as I now love about a block from the course. All I can say is alloy wheels and a lift kit. Does anyone know if they government still gives a kickback for electric?

I believe the tax credit ended last year for these.

Im a big fan of Yamaha golf carts. IMO, they are the nicest, way nicer than an EZ-Go, IMO. The build quality, fit 'n finish and gap control is so much better.
When I lived in Wisconsin, most of the courses had Yamahas but here in Ohio most of them have EZ-Gos and its really like comparing a Lexus to a Yugo.

After doing a ton of research over the last few days, it appears as though Club Car might be perfect. Part of that is the aluminum frame and living near the coast.

After doing a ton of research over the last few days, it appears as though Club Car might be perfect. Part of that is the aluminum frame and living near the coast.

good call, just needs some sweet spinners for rims and u are good to go

good call, just needs some sweet spinners for rims and u are good to go

Every whip needs shoes dude...

I have never felt like more of an oddball than writing that last sentence.

Every whip needs shoes dude...

I have never felt like more of an oddball than writing that last sentence.

your neighbors would LOVE that

Whips and shoes.

LMAO.

Maybe a custom wrap??

If we ever get one, then I thnk that could happen in time. If nothing else some cool decals in certain spots.

The guys that lived in the neighborhood at my old club had decked out carts. They hauled a$$ too.

Back