Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

How far out on the toe are we talking? I found that if you can at least keep all of the ball inside the grooves you were fairly good to go with these.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

On the grooves, but barely - or even half/half is my big iron miss these days.

On the grooves, but barely - or even half/half is my big iron miss these days.

Oh. I could see that being an issue. They aren't quite that forgiving. I know I couldn't play these right now.

Oh. I could see that being an issue. They aren't quite that forgiving. I know I couldn't play these right now.

Yea one of these days maybe. I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel, but it's going to take a lot more work.

I still want these haha

They are gorgeous, no doubt. I just don't know if I have the game to be fit in to this set...but who knows?

I know I saw many people hit this set very well....

I know I saw many people hit this set very well....

When I get fit for the MC, these will undoubtedly be on my hit list, that's for sure, especially with very positive THP feedback.

When I get fit for the MC, these will undoubtedly be on my hit list, that's for sure, especially with very positive THP feedback.

They really did get overwhelmingly positive reviews from pretty much every type of golfer you could imagine

Definitely won't rule it out until testing/fitting. Mixed thoughts about forged set not having a 2014 update, but maybe its more "why change a good thing"

Definitely won't rule it out until testing/fitting. Mixed thoughts about forged set not having a 2014 update, but maybe its more "why change a good thing"

I'm thinking the bolded is true...Bridgestone did the same with their J40 CB/DPC lines, FWIW, as they were initially released in 2011.

So I got to play a round with the 588 CB set today. For this round I was using the 588 CB 4-PW with TT s300s in them... well, I now have mixed emotions...

The best feeling clubs on center face contact I have EVER played--but this was my first round ever with a forged iron--forgive my gushing on this part. Also, I don't know if its my current swing work or just knowing I needed to hit the center of the face for a forged iron--but I was just on for center face contact on the range and during most of the round. the beauty of this thing is you know without a doubt when you pure it.

So at the range (in the morning before the round) I was thinking, "this is it--the is the set I want to play. " And it was all good on the first couple of holes. My approaches with 8-PW were on distance and had me on the green. However, "Not so Much" with the 6 and 7 irons I got to hit. I am not talking about mis-hits here or even wind which I play in all the time and adjusted for. I was hitting pure shots and just ending up short.

After the round I went back to the range with my regular gamers also to compare and see if It was just the cold or wind issue--unfortunately it was not--these irons were just shorter really noticeable on the 6 iron testing I would say 1 to 1.5 clubs shorter for me.

The dilemma: I could pick up another club at these longer distances, but all of my club gaping going into hybrid and woods would be off. So I may need a more GI option just to maintain my distance gaps. Although I may not need the forgiveness of GI, I may need the distance help. Lack of compression that comes with a better players swing may also be the issue--I may hit the center of the face ok, but not have a good compression ratio on the ball.

I went with standard s300 shafts as I don't know what options will be available for the MC --But does anyone think that shafts would make that big of an impact in total distance?

Here is my $.02 Ward and it's mostly from our round last week. You hit a very heavy ball. Your contact is good but it's almost like you hit the ground first and then ball. The ball may even be hitting the top center of the clubface. Many times I though your ball would be short of the green but it would get to the pin. Result of your current irons being more forgiving? Maybe.

That same heavy ball will not work as well with these CB's IMO. You will lose distance if you are not hitting the ball first. I am not surprised by your results esp. with the lower lofted clubs with smaller faces.

I would recommend hitting Cleveland's full arsenal of sticks before deciding what will be best for you. Your fitting will be key in seeing that I believe.

Here is my $.02 Ward and it's mostly from our round last week. You hit a very heavy ball. Your contact is good but it's almost like you hit the ground first and then ball. The ball may even be hitting the top center of the clubface. Many times I though your ball would be short of the green but it would get to the pin. Result of your current irons being more forgiving? Maybe.

That same heavy ball will not work as well with these CB's IMO. You will lose distance if you are not hitting the ball first. I am not surprised by your results esp. with the lower lofted clubs with smaller faces.

I would recommend hitting Cleveland's full arsenal of sticks before deciding what will be best for you. Your fitting will be key in seeing that I believe.

Agreed, I played the 588 TT irons set for a couple months and they are just fine on my distance gaps--for me I see no need to go any more GI that that except maybe a 4 iron in MT. The only reason I traded them in was because they were equal to my other gamers in performance and I had no idea of possibly getting a Spot with Cleveland--I swear it was only 3 weeks ago I traded them--DOH!

Also, I appreciate you suggestion on the ball striking side of things--fat shots are my miss, and I think it gets worse this time of year on hard pan because I focus so much on hitting down. I may work on that with an instructor specifically to see if improvement there may move me into this class of Iron one day. I will say on the shots I hit today range and other none of them were fat shots--but I guess an early release could cause that heavy ball type of sound/result--meaning hitting it hard as heck just not as good as you could if there were decent ball first compression.

I just wanted so bad to make a forged set work--I will keep grinding!

Last edited:
I was able to find a decent Cleveland fitting cart that had the clubs and shaft options I wanted to try. This gave me the ability to hit the exact same setup. Lie, shaft, and same launch monitor with two 6 iron heads the 588 CB and the 588 TT. I have ~12 yards more carry with the TT and it is right were my current gamers are in the 6 iron slot.

Will be interested to see if a better player would see the same difference on the same clubs. I did not take time to analyze all the numbers on launch, spin, and smash factor; however, as I think about it now, the 588TT is just right for my current game regardless of the reasons.

Edit: Although I am gaming ping now, I was doing this test for the MC clubs. I will further add that the 588 CB is still the best feel I have ever had on a well struck golf shot.

I would venture to say that is because loft and ball flight between the CB and TT.

I was able to find a decent Cleveland fitting cart that had the clubs and shaft options I wanted to try. This gave me the ability to hit the exact same setup. Lie, shaft, and same launch monitor with two 6 iron heads the 588 CB and the 588 TT. I have ~12 yards more carry with the TT and it is right were my current gamers are in the 6 iron slot.

Will be interested to see if a better player would see the same difference on the same clubs. I did not take time to analyze all the numbers on launch, spin, and smash factor; however, as I think about it now, the 588TT is just right for my current game regardless of the reasons.

Edit: Although I am gaming ping now, I was doing this test for the MC clubs. I will further add that the 588 CB is still the best feel I have ever had on a well struck golf shot.

I would venture to say that is because loft and ball flight between the CB and TT.

Thanks for the thoughts man! As JB said, the lofts are much stronger in the TT line - about a 3 degree difference up and down per club. Which makes total sense with what you saw.

That's good info. I agree that they feel great. A very powerful impact sensation compared to some of the really 'soft' irons out there.

I bent mine 2° strong in 2012 and they are pretty close to most others on well struck shots.

That's good info. I agree that they feel great. A very powerful impact sensation compared to some of the really 'soft' irons out there.

I bent mine 2° strong in 2012 and they are pretty close to most others on well struck shots.

That's good to know as well. Plus bending them 2* get's me close to the gaps on the MT's at the top hmmmmmmmmm.

That's good to know as well. Plus bending them 2* get's me close to the gaps on the MT's at the top hmmmmmmmmm.

Yea I know people like to talk about them digging more by bending like that, but I never saw anything like that. I'm not a big digger though.

Yea I know people like to talk about them digging more by bending like that, but I never saw anything like that. I'm not a big digger though.

Makes sense - effecting the bounce. I can get steep, but I think that I would be ok. I don't dig holes that big.

Makes sense - effecting the bounce. I can get steep, but I think that I would be ok. I don't dig holes that big.

You'll hear different opinions on it, but the person I turned to for advice (aka JB) felt that 2° wouldn't be an issue and it worked out as I'd hoped.

I hope you do hit them Nate, as they are absolutely awesome irons. That said, Cleveland boasts a solid iron type for just about every player and skill level, so I hope you get a good chance to try everything! I saw guys fall in love with the TT/MT/Alts last year. Game changers for many.

You'll hear different opinions on it, but the person I turned to for advice (aka JB) felt that 2° wouldn't be an issue and it worked out as I'd hoped.

Nice man. Thanks. I'll contact my tour rep for advice as well :)

I hope you do hit them Nate, as they are absolutely awesome irons. That said, Cleveland boasts a solid iron type for just about every player and skill level, so I hope you get a good chance to try everything! I saw guys fall in love with the TT/MT/Alts last year. Game changers for many.

I love the looks of the CBs and I'll be sure to hit everything Cleveland has before I make a decision, that's for sure!

Reading up on these, it is hard not to notice how many DIFFERENT golfers have had positive experiences with them. Pretty much every person who gamed these enjoy them from low handicappers to mid to even a few closer to high. All have spoken volumes about how forgiving they are towards the toe. That is my miss so that is music to my ears.

Back