Is Lighter Better

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
Rather than start a new thread I thought I could just bump this old one. The search feature works:act-up:

Light clubs and shafts have been out for quite a while now Cleveland and Wilson come to mind first and I just want to find out if light is working for you. I find that when a shaft gets into the 55g and lighter I have to move from a stiff flex to an x stiff but still get a better feel and performance to what I think is a traditional weight 65g range.

What about you are you getting more success with it.

Not for me. I prefer heavier weight and stability.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I could just bump this old one. The search feature works:act-up:

Light clubs and shafts have been out for quite a while now Cleveland and Wilson come to mind first and I just want to find out if light is working for you. I find that when a shaft gets into the 55g and lighter I have to move from a stiff flex to an x stiff but still get a better feel and performance to what I think is a traditional weight 65g range.

What about you are you getting more success with it.

I find the same thing. I spent some time with the Cleveland XL270 and I didn't see more distance and dispersion became worse. I prefer a shaft in the high 60's or low 70's, which is pretty neutral I think.

I like a heavier shaft in irons and woods. I've tried lighter but have a hard time keeping them on plane and making good contact.

Scrap,
I went ahead and created a new thread since so much has changed technology wise in the last 5 years since that first thread was put out.

The last time I went through a legitimate driver fitting my fitter took one look at the driver I was gaming and said I should lose it. I was playing a very popular driver with a shaft that weighed 49g and was 46.5 inches in length. He fit me for a 74g shaft and recommended no longer that 45 inches. We ordered one to those specs and I have been hitting fairways consistently ever since. I may not be the longest hitter, because at my age those days are gone. But, if I can keep the tee ball on the short grass, I can be very competitive.

If you can control it, I say play the lightest club that you can swing the fastest.....again only if you can control it.

I prefer a heavier shaft, I am working on my tempo and I feel a heavier shaft helps me keep that in check.

The last time I went through a legitimate driver fitting my fitter took one look at the driver I was gaming and said I should lose it. I was playing a very popular driver with a shaft that weighed 49g and was 46.5 inches in length. He fit me for a 74g shaft and recommended no longer that 45 inches. We ordered one to those specs and I have been hitting fairways consistently ever since. I may not be the longest hitter, because at my age those days are gone. But, if I can keep the tee ball on the short grass, I can be very competitive.

46.5 is really long. I don't know many guys who could keep that in play at any weight.

Light shafts are death for me. They seem to work fine for slower or very smooth players though.

I use 80gm shafts in my driver and not only have better control, but hit with more distance than anything light.
I believe the follow through is much better with a shorter & heavier driver too, at least it is for me and that affects control and distance as well.
I'm far from young too.

I can swing an 80 gram driver shaft and get some mighty good numbers. But I'm not worried about that. I'm worried how I am going to swing on hole 17 and 18. I know that I am best swinging a 60 gram class driver shaft.

I'm fairly lost on this topic, but after a few fittings, and a lot of course time where I've paid attention, I think I prefer heavier shafts in my irons and lighter shafts in my driver.

Is this normal?

I can swing an 80 gram driver shaft and get some mighty good numbers. But I'm not worried about that. I'm worried how I am going to swing on hole 17 and 18. I know that I am best swinging a 60 gram class driver shaft.

To be fair, how many times do you hit driver? 6-10? I am in the camp for heavier shaft. Less than 10 swings per round with driver and I am able to get in the slot better with more weight

To be fair, how many times do you hit driver? 6-10? I am in the camp for heavier shaft. Less than 10 swings per round with driver and I am able to get in the slot better with more weight

How many should I hit? Less than 8. For me, it's technique that gets the club there, if I can't feel it, then the tempo is out of whack.

I was trending with lighter everything last season, but a recent fitting put me in slightly heavier driver shaft and much heavier iron shafts. I still have the Optiforce FW's, which are very light, and I really like hitting them. So I enjoy lighter shafts to an extent, but have realized a little weight is typically better for me.

Taps away

IMO its all about swing weight and not shaft weight, if you go light with the adequate swing weight to your needs then the light isn't an issue, but I know many disagree there. We're all different in preferences, I can play light or heavy.

IMO its all about swing weight and not shaft weight, if you go light with the adequate swing weight to your needs then the light isn't an issue, but I know many disagree there. We're all different in preferences, I can play light or heavy.

I can go heavy, but the balance point has to be way up. Boccieri at its finest.

How many should I hit? Less than 8. For me, it's technique that gets the club there, if I can't feel it, then the tempo is out of whack.

Agreed. Its the technique. The lighter weight just doesnt help me

I wouldnt mind trying a 103 g blueboard.... in a hybrid lol

Nope. Big boy stick. Go big or go home.

I will be at my house if you need anything.

I am reasonably comfortable with lightweight wood shafts, but I haven't been when I've tried lightweight iron shafts. Went to a fitting/demo day the other day, and I was seeing better numbers with heavier shafts - more consistency, better angle of attack, and better spin numbers.

Back