2014 Bridgestone B330 Golf Balls Review Thread

Played the B330-RX and the Callaway SR2 today. B330-RX on odd number holes and Callaway SR2 on even number holes. Stats on each ball:

B330-RX: +4 on this ball. 1 Eagle, 5 pars, 3 dbl bogies. 4/7 fairways, 4/9 GIR.

SR2:+8 on this ball. 3 pars, 5 bogies, 1 triple bogey. 5//7 fairways, 5/9 GIR.

Off the tee: Balls felt comparable. Distance seemed to be similar.
Approach shots: B330-RX felt slightly longer on distance on approach shots.
Chipping: I had a horrible chipping day with both balls. All swing though, so not fair to compare the performance of the balls.
Putting: In my mind both ball felt good off the putter. I'd put them dead even.
Durability: Had 9 holes on one SR2 ball and 8 holes on one B330-RX and 1 hole on another B330-RX (took the eagle ball out of play for saving). Both balls held up very well with no noticeable blemishes.

So to sum, need to get some more comparison rounds between the two ball to find a definitive winner. Both are solid products and are worthy of you taking a look to see if they fit your swing.

Practiced short game yesterday with the B330 RX and played 18 today.

Short game yesterday - used 3 Srixon Q-Star Yllow and 3 B330RX. Definately got more check on the RX's. The ball even felt softer. I found I could fly the ball a little further wit the RX's. It took a good portion of my practice to trust it enough to throw the ball that far toward the hole.

First 18 hole round today - ball felt HARD to me! Temps may have had something to do with this. Once I got inside 150, I was fine though. I thought I detected a little more side spin during the first few holes, but realized it was just my swing. Mid to short irons were awesome. Off the putter was great. Driver and long irons were just a little, well, hard. Could be my swing at the moment, but there wasn't a tone of distance loss or anything, just that hard feeling. I hope to have a better data pool with some warmer weather next week in AL at RTJ.

all things being equal, I will take the short and mid iron performance over the hard feeling off the long irons and driver at this point.

JM

I played another 36 this weekend with the tour B330. I want to say thanks to Thp and Bridgestone again for the opportunity to test these. I am down to my last test ball so I definitely plan on buying another box this week, they are that good. My swing is so off and on, I can go from a birdie to a double bogey without blinking. My game right now is very frustrating and not consistent. The ball however performs and responds so nice, I can't see changing anytime soon.

swing your swing

I got on a launch monitor today in an effort to compare the 330rx to the pro v1x and maxfli 4x. Although it sounded like a good idea, at a 15 handicap, my swing isn't consistent enough to be able to draw any significant conclusion from today's testing. FWIW, 2 of the longest 3 drives were with the 330RX, but the longest drive of the day came with the maxfli. The best shots with all 3 balls were not all that far apart.
My driver swing speed averaged around 95 with a high of 98 FWIW.

another 3 rounds on these, and I am still all in that this will be my MGA tourney ball. Used trade in credit to get 3 more boxes as I did not have any new clubs wanted right now.

Played 18 today. It was a little cooler than I had hoped for but the wind wasn't too bad. I had a much better ball-striking day than yesterday and found much more fairways and greens. The stopping power of the Tour B330 is impressive on long and short irons and allows for aggressive shot-making with wedges. It is long and straight off the tee. Everything I look for in a premium ball.

Okay so I tried to get out for 9 today when I probably shouldn't have given how "under the weather" I feel. The results were interesting to say the least. Started well hitting the first 3 greens in reg and starting 1 under despite missing a 4 footer for birdie on the second. Today I wanted to test out the wedge spin with the B330 now that I switched away from the RXS version. What I saw in the B330 I really liked. I hit pins from 90 yards with lob wedge which is usually an 80 yard max club and 110 with 52* which is usually 100 yard club.

It was a lovely 80 degrees and overcast today so the greens were hard but not as hard as usual. A perfect opportunity to go after flags with wedges!!!

Here are pictures I snapped from the wedge shot holes (all pictures are from pin high point to where the shot started):

Hole 2- 87 yards - 60* Wedge
23ly0rn.jpg

Hole 4- 110 yards - 52* Wedge
1zn4r4i.jpg

Hole 7- 90 yards - 60* Wedge

xb0egk.jpg

And here is a video of 3 lob wedge shots at the par 3 8th (Sorry for the spread I was not feeling too well by this point)

Okay so I tried to get out for 9 today when I probably shouldn't have given how "under the weather" I feel. The results were interesting to say the least. Started well hitting the first 3 greens in reg and starting 1 under despite missing a 4 footer for birdie on the second. Today I wanted to test out the wedge spin with the B330 now that I switched away from the RXS version. What I saw in the B330 I really liked. I hit pins from 90 yards with lob wedge which is usually an 80 yard max club and 110 with 52* which is usually 100 yard club.

It was a lovely 80 degrees and overcast today so the greens were hard but not as hard as usual. A perfect opportunity to go after flags with wedges!!!

And here is a video of 3 lob wedge shots at the par 3 8th (Sorry for the spread I was not feeling too well by this point)

Wow, c0ncept, that's a lot of spin you're putting on a "distance" ball. Do you usually generate a lot of spin, or is this ball helping you put more on it?

I'm also really excited to hear that a lot of you testers are putting this ball in play as your gamer, even buying more balls; it's one thing to play it when you get it for free, but a whole other when you're spending your own money on it.

Keep up the great work, guys, loving the feedback!

I have been using, only because they are yellow and easy to see on our course right now (and the $25 price tag), Z-Star SLs.

I decided on 17 to swap out because I'd been smashing driver all day and was finding nearly every fairway. I popped out the 330RX and took the same swing I'd been using all day and as soon as I touched the ball, I knew I was back in BStone heaven!

It felt so solid and the ball flight was amazing. For funsies, I teed up an SL and hit it, too. Dead on the same line, higher flight, shorter carry. I know it's all ball type and aerodynamics, but if you're a SL user with a swing speed in the high-90s, then you should be hitting the 330RX because there was about a 15yd difference between the two.

Anyone heard if Bridgestone will be offering a yellow ball in the 330 series. I enjoy watching the ball flight with the yellow balls.

swing your swing

Anyone heard if Bridgestone will be offering a yellow ball in the 330 series. I enjoy watching the ball flight with the yellow balls.

swing your swing

I know that the RX is already available in yellow.

Wow, c0ncept, that's a lot of spin you're putting on a "distance" ball. Do you usually generate a lot of spin, or is this ball helping you put more on it?

I'm also really excited to hear that a lot of you testers are putting this ball in play as your gamer, even buying more balls; it's one thing to play it when you get it for free, but a whole other when you're spending your own money on it.

I have a stock pile of the 2012 tour B330 but once those are depleted I will be purchasing the new model.

Press release from Kari Webb's victory in Australia.

LPGA Legend Notches 5th*Women's Australian Open and 40th*Career LPGA Victory

Covington, Ga. - Bridgestone Tour team member and LPGA Hall of Famer Karrie Webb played Bridgestone's new TOUR B330-RX with Hydro Core technology this past weekend to complete an astonishing come-from-behind victory at the 2014 ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open in windy conditions at Victoria Golf Club in Melbourne, Australia. *With her 5-shot comeback win, Webb earned her 5th*career Women's Australian Open title.

Webb relied on the Bridgestone TOUR B330-RX golf ball in her dramatic victory, giving the brand's new Hydro Core technology its first-ever worldwide tour win. *Hydro Core technology produces 30% more gradation from the inside to outside of the core - creating greater spin reduction for longer distance and improved accuracy.

Webb took full advantage of Hydro Core's reduced spin and Bridgestone's patented seamless cover technology to negotiate extremely windy conditions in carding a final round 68. *The win is Webb's first Australian Open victory since 2008 and the 40th victory of her illustrious LPGA career.

"When the course conditions got harder and the pressure was on, I fully trusted the performance of the new B330-RX from tee to green," said Webb. "The ball performed amazingly well in strong gusty winds and I also was able to play some of the most delicate of short game shots around the green!"

Complementing Webb's memorable victory was Bridgestone tour team member Paula Creamer, who also played the new B330-RX ball to card a final round 68 and earn a tie for third.

"Karrie performed incredibly well on Sunday, besting competitors half her age in tremendously difficult conditions," said Dan Murphy, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing - Bridgestone Golf, Inc. *"Both Karrie and Paula tied for low final round in windy conditions when most of the rest of field was faltering. *We think that speaks volumes about the performance of the new B330-RX with Hydro Core technology and the confidence our tour team has playing it."

Havent really been able to get out on the course or practice range this last week as it has been ice/snowed over. Hoping to get out this coming weekend to some more testing in though.

I haven't played a spin ball in a while now because they just never last if I have to hit a wedge. The B330-RXS was okay spin wise but I honestly think I see more spin from the B330 as well as extra distance. I'd have to put the balls next to each other but in terms of spin with wedges I saw that the B330 was better than the ProV1x so I would love to see the B330S against the ProV1. Durability wise he Bridgestone balls have been far better and for that reason alone I plan on playing these balls. Just trying to decide over the distance/spin model.

The B330RX had me taking double looks today as several iron shots came in and stopped within a couple feet of the pitch mark. This ball is really impressing me with it's stopping power from full iron shots. The greens were soft from last weekends rain however with them being champion bermuda I have never seen a ball stop so quick as the RX did for me today.

I guess my last post didn't take. Have to get up early. Will post soon.
But I guess I'm one of the few that isn't sold on this ball.

I guess my last post didn't take. Have to get up early. Will post soon.
But I guess I'm one of the few that isn't sold on this ball.

Same here. I see some amazing things from 100 yards and closer, but off the tee and with my longer irons, I definitely find that the e6 is much better suited to my game.

Spent yesterday evening doing some short game practice with these balls. Definitely very much like what I am seeing and feeling so far. Solid spin across the board and a ball that reacts exactly how I expect it to.

This weekend I will put them out on the course.

Spent yesterday evening doing some short game practice with these balls. Definitely very much like what I am seeing and feeling so far. Solid spin across the board and a ball that reacts exactly how I expect it to.

JB, were you playing the 2014 RX (per your sig) or another model?

I'm right there with you, I got out Sunday afternoon and love the predictability of these. Every time it's the same and knowing what to expect is paramount around the greens. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the course.

I had this ball in play yesterday but only for 9 holes until I lost it off the 10th tee.

My thoughts are largely unchanged with the exception of the fact that I finally saw this ball impacted by wind.

I had numerous tee shots that started out looking good but a slight draw combined with a pushing wind from the right caused the ball to move left in hurry and get me into trouble up the left side of the course.

This is the first time that I really had a desire to have a ball with a bit less spin in play that hopefully wouldn't be impacted by the wind as much.

Besides the issues in the wind it was much of the same of the ball landing and stopping. Perhaps it was due to the greens or wind or technique, but I didn't see as much backspin as normal on approaches into the greens. I actually liked that as it helped me to not spin anything back and into trouble.

I still have a sleeve left so more updates coming this next weekend.

I don't typically play a premium ball but I do think this is a fantastic option and an upgrade from the previous model.

Have any of the testers with mid 90 swing speed played the tour 330 balls. I would be interested in hearing thoughts. Im planning on trying a sleeve of the RX this week. I'm interested in the head to head Bridgestone comparison!

swing your swing

Yes! My swing speed is about 95-98 mph with driver. I actually try to slow it down for control purposes. But I've been testing the 330RX and have been shocked at how much it agrees with my game. When I've played other "tour" balls in the past, I've always felt like they accentuate my bad shots, because of the extra spin and some of them seem difficult to compress. The 330RX has shattered all of those perceptions and is becoming my favorite ball. I've got several rounds in with them now and I get a surge of confidence and good vibes whenever I decide to put one in play. I am honestly very surprised that it's gotten to that point. I figured I'd find a few things I like about the ball, but not that it was such a good all around performer. Basically, it's come down to this for me: My distance and accuracy is about the same with the B330RX as it is with my normal gamers, wind performance is better, putting about the same and greenside control is better. Everything is the same or better with this ball, so I'm really excited to be doing this test.

Went for a little overnight buddies trip this weekend and played 23 holes Sunday, 18 Monday and did a lot of testing. Unfortunately, it was almost exclusively wind testing. We had a 2 to 2+ club wind the entire time. It was sunny and the temps were great, but the wind made an already challenging course that much more difficult. No matter what the conditions, observations could be made, so here are a few things I took away from it.

1. I don't want to keep beating the same dead horse, but the durability level of this ball is just insane. I believe I played 3 full rounds with the same B330RX until I finally lost it on the 17th yesterday. By that time, it had a few scuffs and whatnot, but nothing that would make me not want to keep playing it. It was still in very good shape. I'm so happy that I still have 3 sleeves of these babies!

2. Wind performance is very good, but it's not invincible. The holes where we had to drive directly into the wind were too much for any ball to tackle without any adverse effect. If you were good at hitting a low trajectory drive, you could still get 250 yards or so, but anything up in the air was getting smacked down with authority. Living in central California, I don't have to play those conditions all that often, so I'm not the most experienced, but I decided to change my strategy a bit and the ball really seemed to like that. I started going a club up and backing off of the back swing on my shots into the wind. For example, we had a 165-yard par 3, straight into the wind. I'd normally hit a 7-iron, but I actually went 2 clubs, grabbed my 5H, put the ball a little back in the stance and really went easy at it. I ended up with a perfect little punch shot that zipped right under the wind and rolled up to the front fringe. Still parred the hole, whereas I doubled it the day before, because I tried to hit my normal iron shot and it got pushed into the water on the right.

3. The ball is really receptive to the user trying to flight it differently. I know this is mostly technique and also has to do with how workable the clubs are. But I play GI irons, which tend to want to launch everything pretty high and I was able to cheat the wind by using a little more club and a little less backswing all day long. I had one approach shot that was about 125 yards with that big wind directly behind me. Even with a tail wind, I decided to club up, grabbed PW, put the ball back in the stance a bit and went about 3/4 on the back swing. Got a lower, penetrating flight that bounced up to the front for me.

Nothing I did was groundbreaking in terms of golf skill or imagination, but it was very nice to see that the B330RX is going to reward all of the control I can muster with the desired results. This ball works with you, not against you. I'm pretty happy about that.

Played 14 holes yesterday, 7 with the Bridgestone 330-RX and 7 with the Callaway SR2. I've hit some great shots with both balls. Think these are really close for a guy like me that generates low spin. I give the B330-RX the edge after two comparison rounds but I want to get in some more rounds head to head.

But this thread is about the Bridgestone ball so let me confirm that after 6 years of playing the B330-RX line almost exclusively the 2014 is an all around improvement on previous models. Very, very solid ball that fits my game. Big believer in the B-fit system and how their live on range fitting identified the best ball for my game.

Back