Contest - Design A 2014 THP Challenge Coin

Hoping that Buck doesnt ask me to help him make another hump day camel coin.....haha

Awesome stuff so far.

I wish I was as artistic as some of you. Those are some great designs boys.

Such amazing creativity, keep those ideas coming!

Some incredible ideas for the new coin. I am not coming up with any ideas yet.

Went with the yinyang theme, as one nine can be soul crushing and the next nine can make you feel like you're on top of the world.

2nines_zps7e7a4ebc.jpg

Something I kept trying to think about when figuring out a good design was making it simple enough for application onto a coin. Obviously it's one of those 'one colour per slot' type things so I left a lot of the gradients and things like that off - Might be worth a thought as you guys continue to refine your awesome ideas.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Went with the yinyang theme, as one nine can be soul crushing and the next nine can make you feel like you're on top of the world.

2nines_zps7e7a4ebc.jpg
I was just thinking about the ying/yang on the way to work today, I remembered how similar the shape looks like a 9! Well done.

I was just thinking about the ying/yang on the way to work today, I remembered how similar the shape looks like a 9! Well done.

Yup, the yingyang looking like 2 nines is what sparked my idea

Here's a quick image that I threw together based on some ideas:

* The face of the coin would have the THP logo and motto like many of the other coins.
* The back, however, features two 9's inverted with respect to each other and some text...

When you hold the coin one way, the "good" nine is upright and the words "NINE UNDER PAR" are at the top of the coin. When you hold it the other way, the "bad" 9 is upright and the words "NINE OVER PAR" are featured.

As a bonus, the two nines in this positioning also create a "69" - a score that most of us would be happy with on any day!

My drawing skills stink but I tried to put together something to give a visual impression of what I have in mind. I did the base stuff in Powerpoint but I couldn't get the lettering to flow so I hand-printed it. It needs color and some cleanup but this shows the basic idea. My daughter does graphic design so I may ask her to refine it a bit and add color.

What do you guys think?

The "Good" position - notice the minus sign is at the top

And, purely by rotating the image 180 degrees, you get the "bad" coin:

Created this for fun. Didn't spend too much time on it though. What do you think?

8395ac14-decf-48ee-b214-0a17af76a94c_zpsdb73debc.jpg

I like this. Simple bold designs work well on a small coin.

Interesting convergence between this and Jlukes' post above too.

When I drew my first sketch on a post-it and showed it to my daughter, she also suggested arranging the two 9's as a yin-yang but I couldn't figure out how to make it look good.

Maybe a gold (under) and red (under) color scheme? Would making the circles containing the + and 9 bigger make them look more like 9's?

Created this for fun. Didn't spend too much time on it though. What do you think?

8395ac14-decf-48ee-b214-0a17af76a94c_zpsdb73debc.jpg

My idea is something like Atlas holding a golfball with the weight of the golfball world crushing him down and on the other side someone standing on the golf ball, like you are standing on top of the world. I didn't read through all of this thread since I'm just taking a quick break so if this idea has already been suggested, let me know. The problem is I think it's too much detail to go on a coin. I'll see what I can sketch and try to come up with some more ideas. I'll give props to the "heaven and hell" idea that I read on the first page though!! I like it.

Thought about this last night, finally had a chance to throw it together.

Coin_zpsc8f329da.jpg

This one petty much died out huh?
Okay, I guess we will have to work with what we have in here and decide.

Thanks for all that did participate. Some good stuff.

I wish I was better at this stuff. Just not my cup of tea. But some really cool entries.

I think War Eagle is still working on some art. A few more days maybe?

Though I can't design squat, if this is gong to be a ball marker, something to remind me that I've moved my mark and need to put it back on one side is helpful...

Hmmm....I'm no artist but trying to think of good ideas that someone could possibly draw up. Hard to too some of the fantastic submissions thus far though. If someone wants to draw these up, have at it!

Monopoly "pass go" finger versus "in jail".

Something using the faces of the Motley Crüe "theatre of pain" album faces? This one may have already been done....don't recall.

Not very good ideas....still thinking though.

I can't wait to see the winner!

Taleof2nines_zps43065cad.jpg

Here's my entry. Front side would be the same as the 2013 coins, and the back would be my image. Similar to the ying-yang designs, but using 9's. In one of the 9's would be a green with a hole and a pin and a ball right next to the pin. In the other 9 would be a water hazard with a ball splashing in. Across the top and bottom the name "A TALE OF TWO NINES" as pictured but with better wrapping. It would be on a copper background.

Well done to all those who submitted entries.

Working on art now for my main idea. I thought about actually having 9 holes punched through the coin but I am not sure if that is an option.

y8upa4ut.jpg
pemapy3e.jpg

Back