Squiddy

The Game
Reaction score
Handicap
If you have a Favorite Golfer, Do The clubs or ball's He or she uses influence what you buy.

Not in the slightest

Not really. Though I was a big Nick Price fan when I bought my Goldwin clubs in the '90s.

I have my favorite golfers to watch and follow but I don't believe what they are playing influences me one way or the other. I actually would be more influenced by certain members of the forum as I believe very strongly in their knowledge of the game and the equipment.

The reason I ask is a few years ago in one of the Golf rags Pros that used Titleist Golf balls were asked If they were forced to pay for Titleist golf balls at full price or switch to ANY other brand and pay nothing over 70% of the pros said they would Pay to stay with Titleist,
It's obvious that at least 70 % of the UN NAMED pro's were willing to pay to stay rather than take the money and run.
To me that is a strong selling point that Titleist could use to the average golfer .
I am glad to see that people are loyal to their brands but base it on performance not Pro Commercial's

No I didn't even demo Nike clubs during my recent purchases. Now apparel is a whole different story. I want that shirt!! Hehe.

No, I'm not influenced by what my favorite pro plays. Separate situations for me completely.

Not at all. I play the clubs that I like and don't care what DeLaet, McIlroy, or Fowler use.
Apparel on the other hand I will admit I am influenced, as long as I find it comfortable.

Hell no! Golf clubs are far too personal thing to be influenced by an advert!

Not even close. I dont play anything that my favorite guys play.

What a player has in his bag doesn't influence me one bit if I like it and it fits then I'll game it.

But the average weekender it does look at the driver sales when Phil won last yr and touted it was because of his driver and it was the best he ever played.

No, some of my favorite players do have similar clubs as I do, but I think they got them after I started using them :D

Seriously...no. I do however like to play in black pants and red shirt, but I try to avoid it on Sundays :)

I like so many golfers that even if it did influence me I wouldn't have enough spots in the bag.

I was just thinking about this the other day and how it was quite the contrary for me, I find myself liking or pulling for pros potentially more if they use the same brand I do... Is that weird?

For me I would say what my favorite golfer plays does not effect my decision making as to the ball I play. Half the time I don't even know what ball they are playing.

Nope. I have 3 favorite players (Woods, Woodland and Kuchar) and I don't think I play a single club or ball that any of them play.

Nope...typically just root for guys that seem like good dudes

Nope, my favorite is Freddie Couples. He and I have totally different clubs, balls, bags, gloves and shoes.

Nope not at all.

The reason I ask is a few years ago in one of the Golf rags Pros that used Titleist Golf balls were asked If they were forced to pay for Titleist golf balls at full price or switch to ANY other brand and pay nothing over 70% of the pros said they would Pay to stay with Titleist,
It's obvious that at least 70 % of the UN NAMED pro's were willing to pay to stay rather than take the money and run.
To me that is a strong selling point that Titleist could use to the average golfer .
I am glad to see that people are loyal to their brands but base it on performance not Pro Commercial's

While its a nice number, Titleist could never use that as marketing.
1st - That would be admitting that they pay (and pay a lot) for players to use their golf balls.
2nd - That would be admitting that 30% of these players are playing it strictly for the money they get to do so.
3rd - Their marketing is 10000000% around play the ball the pros play.

Despite shrinking marketshare over the last 5 years, they still do very well in ball sales.

Yes it does to some extent. Seeing a putter in play or shoes on a pro does have so have some sway with me.

Nope. I play the equipment that I do because it's done of the best out there and the people behind the clubs are even better.

As far as equipment and balls. Nope, didnt help me decided at all. I have THP for that :). Apperal is something that might have an influence. I dont have many options wben it comes to apperal around me, so whatching the pro is where I get some of an idea of the new line.

This is an interesting topic and I wonder what the casual golfer that doesn't spend time on THP would say. When I was younger I HAD to wear Nike basketball shoes because of MJ. When I started playing football I wanted the same cleats as Emmitt Smith. None of that translated to golf for me for some reason. I would never buy clubs, balls, or even clothes for that matter based off of what Spieth, Mickelson, or Stricker are playing.

I play a Super Stroke cause Dufner does.

Also, I think what is advertised and what the pros play has a direct correlation to what amateur golfers play.

Back