Does Sand Scare You?

Harvmp28

Reaction score
Handicap
Are sand traps just another piece of your game your comfortable with making shots from?

Or Does the thought of sand bring anxiety (along with 3-4 swings to get out) and tension to your game?

I don't mind Sand. I dont want to be there but I do semi-enjoy the fact I get to play another shot from a different surface (Challenge Accepted!). Some guys are lethal in the pits, and others are lethal but only to the lead in their pencil writing down the score after.
What are you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Not so much scared, but annoyed.

I go back and forth. For awhile there last year hell yes they scared me. I thinned every single bunker shot for two months it felt like.

Greenside don't really scare me, I'm fairly decent there. Fairway over 200 don't scare me, pretty decent there. Fairway under 200 and especially short iron length, those scare me. Always take too much sand and end up short.

Used to scare the heck out of me. Have been pretty consistant the past few months after countless youtube videos and a lot of range time. My usual miss is popping it out 10-15 past my target. I need to work on distance control out of the sand in a bad way.

It used to. I used to play shots away from them, even if it meant putting water into play. Now, I've gained enough knowledge and practice to be able to get out of any situation I can think of pretty consistently.

They used to. Got a great tip from a friend and feel completely comfortable hitting out of them now.

Im not SCURRED of sand, Unless I am in a bunker like they have over at the British open.

Sand just is. It's part of the game. I have more trouble with green side bunkers than with fairway bunkers. Unless the fairway bunker is ridiculously deep, I usually do okay from them. Greenside I'm okay getting out and onto the putting surface, but not usually as close to the hole as I'd like.

That said, I don't fear them, nor do they inspire anxiety attacks.

Edit: One addition to the above. I do fear the insidious cross bunker 50 yards short of the green. I will lay up rather than risk hitting into one of them.

Yes, very much so. Havent been in a position to really work on that aspect of the game, but Ive found a place this year to address that issue.

Fairway bunkers don't scare me much for the most part, but greenside bunkers make me very nervous. Especially when they have high lips.

Inconsistent sand scares me. I hate playing tight compact sand one hole then loose fluffy sand the next. I know you dig in to get a sense of the sand, but doesn't always work for me.

I rather have compact sand to loose.

I used to be a confident sand player. Then I played a course with the most sand I have ever seen. It was raining off and on, and I ended up in the trap. Soaked sand, deep bunker, 6 shots later I got it back onto the fringe.

Another hole on this course gets me every time. Its only 400 yard, but a dog-leg left. I hit a fade (as I always do) and end up too close to the trees, chip out back into the fairway so I have a shot, and put it right into the bunker. At this point I am walking up to the bunker, to play my fourth shot... realize I have the PW instead of 60*, try and play it anyways. A lot of cursing, borderline crying, and some dirty looks later, I two-putt for a 10. My decent round up to this point (front 2 over) has been shot to heck.... my round fell apart after that.

I haven't been the same since. Sand takes my lunch-money every time now!

I love a day at the beach, green side or other wise.

Used to, not so much anymore. Have actually gotten quite a bit better after some good tips.

Used to, not so much anymore. Have actually gotten quite a bit better after some good tips.

And some better wedges!

Sand doesnt bother me at all, my dad spent alot of time working on it with me when I was younger.

Sand doesn't bother me at all. Kinda like it. The only caveat to that is that a lot of course I play on do not care for there bunkers very well at all. So it is more like hitting off mud, dirt, etc... But give me sand like on the PGA Tour and I'm good to go. I do need to start working on getting more precise with my shots out of them.

Used to. I used to be so hesitant I'd slow my swing down right before contact, and stay in the bunker. I've learned to actually go after the ball now and not slow down, and I've gotten better. I won't be putting any in the hole, but I'm not afraid.

I don't mind being in the sand, with a club or a Corona!

Not being in a bunker in general, but being up against the lip does. I'd take a buried lie over being against the lip any time

I'm not scared of hitting out of them. As long as I have a good lie I think I am almost as good out of a fairway bunker as I am off the fairway. Would rather be in the sand than the rough.

I am more scared of chipping around that green than hitting out of a green side bunker. The only thing about bunkers that scares me is when the ball is in the air and you know you are going to be in it is just how bad the lie is going to be. I hit a very high ball and depending on the sand can get very bad lies.

No, just grip it and rip it.

Back