SBST vs Arc Putting

codybwallace

Reaction score
Handicap
I have struggled with putting all of my golfing life. I have switched between SBST and Arc putting. My lack of consistency has really hindered my progress. I am trying to determine which to focus on.

Which putting stroke do you use?

How/Why did you choose that putting stroke?

What are some drill and training aids you use?

Shoulder rock. Let the putter do what it wants to naturally.

Arc putting. It's impossible on longer putts to take the putter completely straight back and through. The feel might be that it's SBST but cameras show otherwise. An arc stroke just feels more natural for me, I just have to practice to make sure I don't whip it too far inside to where I'm not fighting a block or having to manipulate the putter in any way just to get it to hit the ball on my intended line.

Arc putting. It's impossible on longer putts to take the putter completely straight back and through. The feel might be that it's SBST but cameras show otherwise. An arc stroke just feels more natural for me, I just have to practice to make sure I don't whip it too far inside to where I'm not fighting a block or having to manipulate the putter in any way just to get it to hit the ball on my intended line.

How do you practice the actual arc? I am not sure how to determine the severity of the arc. Have you used any training aids?

^^^^This. I may be in the minority but I am not a fan of terms like SBST as I think they do amateurs more harm than good. SeeMore's SPi system takes most of the variables out of the equation which leads to better consistency. Tools I use include most often include tees, a plane board, mirror, and alignment sticks.

How do you practice the actual arc? I am not sure how to determine the severity of the arc. Have you used any training aids?

A plane board is a terrific way to work on a repeatable stroke with an arc.

I have struggled with putting all of my golfing life. I have switched between SBST and Arc putting. My lack of consistency has really hindered my progress. I am trying to determine which to focus on.

Which putting stroke do you use?

How/Why did you choose that putting stroke?

What are some drill and training aids you use?

Had a really good putting lesson this weekend from a pro who works with some PGA and Nationwide guys. He somewhat ascribes to Pat O'Brien's methodology which SPI/Seemore generally teaches. I had the same exact question as to how to determine what is the correct arc. His belief is that it varies somewhat based on posture, hand position, etc. Once he got me into the posture he thought best for me (same as what SPI teaches), my hands were higher than his and my arc was less than his. He recommended putting with the thumbs and forefingers off and as light a grip as possible. If you do not tighten up the grip, then what you see is your natural arc.

I'm more of a SBST guy than an arc guy, because an arc putting strike feels too mechanical to me.

With that said, I do not focus on mechanics all that much. I'm much more concerned with focusing on reading the putt and getting the ball to comfortably roll on the intended line.

I didn't choose, I putt with what came naturally.

I believe that worrying about the stroke path is counter productive. Don't manipulate the putter with the hands.

Arc.

Everyone arc's to some extent, a TRUE "SBST" stroke is practically physiologically impossible. The amount of arc can be great or small, but rest assured its there.

Yeah I just switched to an arc. SBST felt forced and mechanical to me. I ve started to stand most comfortably and stroke my stroke.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

Arc.

Everyone arc's to some extent, a TRUE "SBST" stroke is practically physiologically impossible. The amount of arc can be great or small, but rest assured its there.

When I took golf back up after many years layoff I found that I couldn't putt any better than I recalled being able to as a kid. I read a lot and tried various things and got worse with each new guru I studied. I am still not a great putter, but I am now getting better. Here is what I believe.

Except on VERY short putts it is impossible to take the club "straight back and straight through" keeping the club face square to the line without manipulating the club with your hands and wrists. I do not have the fine motor skills to do this successfully, and I think it makes things much harder than they need to be even if you can. So I started trying to embrace an arching stroke, or as Stan Utley calls it, square to the arc.

I agree with Jman that pretty much everyone swings on some sort of arc, but I had the same questions and doubts as Codywallace. I worried if I had enough arc, or too much, or if I was finishing the stroke with the face pointing the right direction. And I didn't get much better at all.

O'Carroll has come very close to stating what is finally starting to help me show real improvement in my putting. The club face only has to be facing toward the cup at the moment you strike the ball. Forget what it is doing during the rest of the stroke with the exception of making sure it is accelerating, or at least maintaining a consistent speed at the point of impact. Worrying about the shape of your stroke will almost assure that you are unconsiously (or maybe consiously!) manipulating the club in ways that have nothing at all to do with hitting a straight putt.

My current method: Eyes over the ball to align properly. Good solid grip on the club (my SuperStroke helps) and try to avoid letting the wrists or hands get involved. Using the shoulders draw the putter back and then through the ball accelerating until after the ball is struck. That is it. The stroke may arc, I'm pretty sure it does, but I do NOT pay any attention to that. Making a smooth stroke and hitting the ball hard enough are plenty to worry about.

Sorry it is verbose. Hope it helps a little.

Which putting stroke do you use? I use an arc'd stroke.

How/Why did you choose that putting stroke? I figured out what posture allowed me to see my intended line the best; that had me more upright and off the ball which results in more of an arc'd stroke.

What are some drill and training aids you use? The most important thing for me is to be able to roll the ball on my intended line. I use variable length strokes and roll the ball over a spot on the green. This shows that I have a repeatable stroke and can start the ball on the line I want. If I can't do that, I will never be a successful putter.

Im a slight arc putter but in my head I'm rocking my shoulders strait with the club going down that line. It's an arc though.

I really appreciate all of this direction. It seems like rocking your shoulders could be the best way to have a consistent stroke.

Do those of you that didn't mention anything about rocking your shoulders feel that this action is part of your arced stroke? Or do you not feel anything regarding your shoulders when putting?

^^^^Just Tapped That

Putting is one aspect that I have not made any changes to since I started playing. I have done what came naturally to me which is a strong arc that isn't the most fundamentally sound but is repeatable and reliable for me.

I really appreciate all of this direction. It seems like rocking your shoulders could be the best way to have a consistent stroke.

Do those of you that didn't mention anything about rocking your shoulders feel that this action is part of your arced stroke? Or do you not feel anything regarding your shoulders when putting?

^^^^Just Tapped That

All shoulders. no hands.

Arc, used to be more sbst but was all over the place from day to day. The shoulders help produce a more repeatable stroke that using arms and hands. Distance control is also improved for me. Just have to remember to let these things do the work and quit placing the putt.

I just take the head back on a natural arc for my stroke. I have tried to take the putter straight back before but found it nearly impossible to do without a good bit of manipulation. In most cases when I did this, I was overcompensating to not take it back on an inside arc and ended up taking it back outside and pulling everything.

This and I use the putter wheel. I am not a great (or very good) putter. The putter wheel is a great little training aid with a lot of instant feed back. I have been hitting putts pure and on my line a ton more consistently sense I picked it up and very in expensive.

Arc. You cant really swing something around a fixed point in a straight line. The only way you can really do SBST is with some manipulation, which is going to make it very difficult to be consistent.

While I like to think I am SBST, I know there is a slight arc. What I have been focusing on, and has been a major help is my follow through. If I remind myself to follow through naturally, and not tighten up, I make better strokes.

THP #theking #imwithchad

Back