Two off the First Tee

Miller Time

Twitter - @joshmlr
Reaction score
Handicap
Has Been
How often do you do it? And when you do plan on taking two, if you stripe one with the first ball, will you tee it up again just because?

I'm really working on just taking one to prepare for THP events. That's a pretty intense tee shot for me.

I've done it, if I get to a course and don't get in a few range balls playing single sometimes I just go straight to the box in which case yes I've done it but not often

I'll hit two if it is agreed upon before teeing off, usually I just hit one even then. I don't consider it a big deal but I never get two off of the first tee at any tournaments I attend so I certainly see your point Josh.

I'll hit two if it is agreed upon before teeing off, usually I just hit one even then. I don't consider it a big deal but I never get two off of the first tee at any tournaments I attend so I certainly see your point Josh.
I'm the same, if the group agrees to this before the round it's alright.

Typically don't hit two. I have seen that when the first one is bad, the second one typically follows suite.

My first tee-shot was almost always my best of the round. I won't usually tee up again unless I put one OB. Tee times are usually pretty compacted on the courses I play, and it doesn't go over real good when you are hitting multiple drives with groups piled up behind you on the tee box.

I rarely hit two off the first tee, but wouldn't mind if the group agreed ahead of time

Breakfast balls were introduce to me in IOWA, and have no problem doing it if we go cold to the first tee. Don't do it much anymore, usually just take my lumps or hitting 3 off the tee.

We do this if no one has warmed up at all. Especially at the beginning of the season before you've been able to hit a driving range or anything like that. After that everything must drop.

THPers are usually generous and give two off the tee when we play casual rounds. When I play with the ladies, no way you're getting two off the first tee! LOL

Two off the first tee equals lying 3, I'm cool with that if you are. If the score is being posted, which it should be, then hit until your happy but add them all up.

The normal group of guys I play with always hit 2 off the first tee....especially since we tend to play at first light tee times in the Summer so there is no range time before hand....when in that situation I ususally hit 2 just to get loose no matter if pipe the first one or not.

The weekly skins game at my club that I play every other week when I am off on Friday allows 2 off the first, but since I am already warmed up for that one if I pipe the first one I don't hit a second.

If it's a real round obviously I don't, but in my practice rounds I'm usually hitting at least 2 balls on almost every shot. I play a lot of one man scrambles by myself, it's great practice.

I'll hit two if I'm having a practice round. But once league starts it's one off the tee so hopefully I have time to get to the range before the round starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never do it unless the first tee shot goes OB, I hate when that happens.:banghead:

Nope. If my first tee shot is poor, my second will probably be some gross over-compensation, and then I'm wandering out to both edges of the fairway to retrieve one ball, then to the other side to play the other ball. I figure the shape of my first shot is what I'm going to likely play off the tee anyway. Might as well get used to it. The more confident I am that I'm lined up with my shot shape, the freer I'll swing and the less severe the shape (ie, my slice will become a fade and I'll go from right edge to middle fairway). But if I hit a slice with the first tee ball, and a pull with the second, now I have no idea how to line myself up on the next hole.

Sometimes better to just let sleeping dogs lie.

We generally will allow a second ball ( if needed) if we have not gone to the range before the round and there are not other groups lined up behind us during a casual round.

If I have no time to warm up and the group agrees, I'll take two if needed. I've done it and will continue unless the round means something.

That's what the range is for! Get to the course early and hit a few this is a common cause of slow play. If you start on the 1st tee it continues throughout the round wherever you see fit. I've seen guys hit 3 and 4 off the tee with me standing on the tee behind them .... waiting! Its frustrating as hell!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I don't hit a second off the first tee but its not because I'm a by the rules kinda guy. It's because the first one is usually the best one. Only thing more frustrating that a bad first tee shot is 2 bad tee shots!

if it's a casual round with my buddies, which 95% of my rounds are, then we all have an understanding that a breakfast ball is OK off the first tee. We don't use it if we don't need it, though, unless we have a money game going. Then, even if the first one is good, we'll usually really get after a second just to see if we can improve position.

I play with quite a few guys that allow the "breakfast ball", which for a non-competitive round is fine with me.

I'm pretty sure the only time I've taken two off the tee were with THPers when there was no warmup.

Outside of that, my first tee shot if the day is normally my best one.

Back