Warming up for THP events

Smithfaced

Reaction score
Handicap
The THP event season is starting to heat up and it got me thinking about something today. There are quite a few threads regarding warming up but I didn't see any specifically geared towards THP events. One of the coolest things about THP events and something that I feel really embodies the community is that everyone is on the first tee to watch/cheer on their buddies. If you know your tee time is towards the end will you still go out to the range beforehand and do your normal warm up or would you rather just conserve some energy? What are some things you guys do for these situations?

For the invitationals for me a lot of the fun is shooting the breeze with everyone on the range... will just go with the flow.

Now the Morgan cup Is a different animal

I'm out there as early as possible hitting balls and hanging out with everyone. Usually trying different gear and making some solid passes at the ball.

And laughing....always laughing.

I do nothing special when it comes to THP events. I warm up and shoot the breeze.

I'm out there as early as possible hitting balls and hanging out with everyone. Usually trying different gear and making some solid passes at the ball.

And laughing....always laughing.

And almost dying by flying clubs.

The THP event season is starting to heat up and it got me thinking about something today. There are quite a few threads regarding warming up but I didn't see any specifically geared towards THP events. One of the coolest things about THP events and something that I feel really embodies the community is that everyone is on the first tee to watch/cheer on their buddies. If you know your tee time is towards the end will you still go out to the range beforehand and do your normal warm up or would you rather just conserve some energy? What are some things you guys do for these situations?

Pace yourself through conversation. Do your normal warmup and try to avoid over swinging on any potential demos that may be sitting at the range.

Honestly, I find myself spending a lot more time at the putting green before events than I do the range. 75% talking, 25% putting.

Hit a few balls, putt, shoot the breeze with my THP brothers and sisters. Nothing really different if I'm teeing off early or late.

Just to clarify I'm not at all suggesting not going to the range to chat it up with everybody. However, if you know your tee time isn't going to be for 30 minutes or longer is there really a point to hitting balls on the range?

I'll be the guy hanging with a look of grand stupor on my face. I am sure my first THP event will be spent in awe, followed up by trying to meet everyone, while at the same time trying to keep it all under control.

Just to clarify I'm not at all suggesting not going to the range to chat it up with everybody. However, if you know your tee time isn't going to be for 30 minutes or longer is there really a point to hitting balls on the range?

Typically everyone is watching everyone tee off on number 1 so I don't see too many later guys going back to range

Pace yourself through conversation. Do your normal warmup and try to avoid over swinging on any potential demos that may be sitting at the range.

Honestly, I find myself spending a lot more time at the putting green before events than I do the range. 75% talking, 25% putting.

I think spending the majority of your time putting is probably the way to go especially if you have a late tee time.

Typically everyone is watching everyone tee off on number 1 so I don't see too many later guys going back to range

That's kind of my point. Everybody is watching everybody else so if you have a substantial amount of time before you tee off is there even a point to warming up?

This is a good question. I've been at the back end of groups teeing off, and there is definitely a lot of standing around on the 1st tee after you've already warmed up. I wouldn't miss the hanging out and all the chatting and laughing on the first tee for anything though...so I usually just grab my 4 & 5 iron together, and take a few slow swings to try to stay loose throughout the chit-chat time.

That's kind of my point. Everybody is watching everybody else so if you have a substantial amount of time before you tee off is there even a point to warming up?

Gotta think some swings are bettwr than none right?

I'm awful regardless

I think spending the majority of your time putting is probably the way to go especially if you have a late tee time.

For the Bridgestone Championship last year, I had the last tee time day one. I spent the first 90% of the time on the putting green, then went to the range until I heard Josh ask for everyone to head over to the putting green for a picture before the tee times started.

I'm glad I did. It worked out well, and a few swipes intermittently between tee times helped keep me loose.

So to expand on my first comment, depending on where my tee time is schedule I will be watching everyone go off. Few practice swings every now and the to stay warm. Shouldn't effect me that much as I normally only hit around 20 balls on the range.

Normal routine for me,net there an hour or so early and go thought the bag and chip and putt, there's some socializing as well.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Late or early, warm up is needed before any round. At the MC if you are last off I hope you will have warmed up.

I warm up like normal, regardless of tee time

I warm up like normal, regardless of tee time

Rory is warming up at invitational's? Lol, looks like I'm not the only one plagued by somehow posting in wrong thread.

Edit:
Wow my Tapatalk is playing tricks on me. It pulled someone else's comment in with your name, however when I look now at the comment I quoted it is different. Sorry for the outburst.

Rory is warming up at invitational's? Lol, looks like I'm not the only one plagued by somehow posting in wrong thread.

What are you talking about? :alien:

Edit:
Wow my Tapatalk is playing tricks on me. It pulled someone else's comment in with your name, however when I look now at the comment I quoted it is different. Sorry for the outburst.

Hahahahahaha your tapatalk was right. My quick editing skills though almost covered up my mistake!

Hahahahahaha your tapatalk was right. My quick editing skills though almost covered up my mistake!

I was like am I seeing things...

Now back on topic. :)

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Late or early, warm up is needed before any round. At the MC if you are last off I hope you will have warmed up.

If you're last off at the MC your warm up is more or less useless. There is a pretty large time gap between leaving the range and the last tee time.

Back