Product Spotlight – The Ground Force Trainer

nice review on an interesting device. This would be good to keep form during the winter months.

I think that's why the video comes off so awkward. Guy was probably already nervous on camera, and then you toss him on a moving step plate where he could fall. Poor guy stood no chance. I'm interested to hear how things translate for you after a week or so of using it.

I'm going to look out about a month and check myself and maybe try to make it a little more intense - without risking injury of course. I can feel the movement getting easier already after 10 days or so. How it translates into my actual swing remains to be seen, but my belief this year is that if I really concentrate on strengthening those parts of my body, I'll have a much easier time controlling the fault - rather than just thinking about it consciously so much.

Nice review Hawk. I definitely see where this might help my game but I agree that the price is a little steep.

Interesting. I could see this being a very useful teaching tool for a lot of instructors. A great golf swing has a lot to do with your base, rotation. This make sense, and I'm confident you'll see some great benefits from using this Hawk. Can't wait to hear if you feel it translates well to you swing on the course.

That sounds like an interesting piece of kit - not sure that the price is realistic enough for me to consider something like that

One thing that would possibly bug me, is that once you have used the device and know what feeling to expect, you wouldn't necessarily need the device to practice it? And you can incorporate the movement (or lack of) into a swing with a club? Which then makes it a bit expensive to only use it once or twice?

I could be completely wrong, but it is something that popped into my mind

Another thing that I personally struggle with at times, is making a swing without a club in my hand (or at least something that gives the same feel as a club) so only having the wooden rod might not feel right and detract from the feeling the device is trying to create - I suppose if you had the space you could use a club to practice with?

Holy cow that looks hard. Falling back/getting off balance early is my big fault. I wonder if I'd break my neck trying this. "downswing should never be attempted" kind of scares me!

Yeah, the words "to avoid injury" does cause one to pause. Still, $120 for an extra 15 yards would be a bargain. Not so sure, though, if were just 5 yards.

I'm going to look out about a month and check myself and maybe try to make it a little more intense - without risking injury of course. I can feel the movement getting easier already after 10 days or so. How it translates into my actual swing remains to be seen, but my belief this year is that if I really concentrate on strengthening those parts of my body, I'll have a much easier time controlling the fault - rather than just thinking about it consciously so much.

Do you just feel an extreme amount of pressure in your right instep? Only way I can really describe it as that's the feeling I have when I get to the top of my backswing.

That sounds like an interesting piece of kit - not sure that the price is realistic enough for me to consider something like that

One thing that would possibly bug me, is that once you have used the device and know what feeling to expect, you wouldn't necessarily need the device to practice it? And you can incorporate the movement (or lack of) into a swing with a club? Which then makes it a bit expensive to only use it once or twice?

I could be completely wrong, but it is something that popped into my mind

Another thing that I personally struggle with at times, is making a swing without a club in my hand (or at least something that gives the same feel as a club) so only having the wooden rod might not feel right and detract from the feeling the device is trying to create - I suppose if you had the space you could use a club to practice with?

Some good points here and things I also thought about.

I do wonder about the need for the device long-term as well. Not necessarily a one or two use thing, because I think it would require a couple months of regular use to get the muscles strenghted and more flexible, but after that I tend to agree that it might find itself in the corner.

The dowel is awkward to me. I would much rather see a cut down shaft with a grip on it and I've actually considered cutting one down myself. In fact, I think I'm going to do it tonight now that you bring it up. Not so sure a full club would be a great idea, at least at first, because it could impart a little more force and give the potential to lose balance if that makes sense. After some use I think it would be very doable though.

Do you just feel an extreme amount of pressure in your right instep? Only way I can really describe it as that's the feeling I have when I get to the top of my backswing.

Yes, and you feel tightening in the outer glute and hip muscles, since they are sort of stabilizing that foot. As you turn, you can actually stack more weight on to the trailing leg as well, which really intensifies the feeling.

And Ward, you bring up a good point there. For me, that feeling isn't there at the top of my backswing, because I let the knee go and just let my hips/upper body keep turning. There's no pressure there, but that's the feeling I'm trying to accomplish.

And Ward, you bring up a good point there. For me, that feeling isn't there at the top of my backswing, because I let the knee go and just let my hips/upper body keep turning. There's no pressure there, but that's the feeling I'm trying to accomplish.

Like it. Can't wait to see how that translates for you over the next month.

Some good points here and things I also thought about.

I do wonder about the need for the device long-term as well. Not necessarily a one or two use thing, because I think it would require a couple months of regular use to get the muscles strenghted and more flexible, but after that I tend to agree that it might find itself in the corner.

The dowel is awkward to me. I would much rather see a cut down shaft with a grip on it and I've actually considered cutting one down myself. In fact, I think I'm going to do it tonight now that you bring it up. Not so sure a full club would be a great idea, at least at first, because it could impart a little more force and give the potential to lose balance if that makes sense. After some use I think it would be very doable though.

Maybe my suggestion of once or twice was a bit short, but you understood what I was getting at regarding the long-term use of the device

I understand your reasoning for not using a full club - I considered it as the review implies that you are making a slow turn so that you can emphasise the feeling you are looking for and I thought a slow turn with a club would not impart the same force as a 'normal' swing? I guess a cut-down club would be a good compromise between the dowel and a full club though

for cost concerns what if a bunch of people split it then rotated use?

Maybe my suggestion of once or twice was a bit short, but you understood what I was getting at regarding the long-term use of the device

I understand your reasoning for not using a full club - I considered it as the review implies that you are making a slow turn so that you can emphasise the feeling you are looking for and I thought a slow turn with a club would not impart the same force as a 'normal' swing? I guess a cut-down club would be a good compromise between the dowel and a full club though

Now you have me curious. I may move it to the garage since my basement won't allow me to use a full length club.

for cost concerns what if a bunch of people split it then rotated use?

That could work for sure with a few friends if they all had the same issue.

I think I need this. Definitely something I struggle with.

Now you have me curious. I may move it to the garage since my basement won't allow me to use a full length club.

It would be interesting to see if it works for you, just don't blame me for any smashed items due to you trying to swing a full club on it :D

It would be interesting to see if it works for you, just don't blame me for any smashed items due to you trying to swing a full club on it :D

Fortunately I've smashed almost everything there is to smash in my garage already haha :banghead:

Sounds pretty interesting. Are you at any point supposed to speed up your "backswing" while on this thing as you improve, or is it always slow?

Sounds pretty interesting. Are you at any point supposed to speed up your "backswing" while on this thing as you improve, or is it always slow?

No, it's supposed to be a controlled movement. The idea isn't really to build up speed, but rather teach you the right muscles to engage and strengthen them. I think you'd be risking injury if you attempted anything too fast.

No, it's supposed to be a controlled movement. The idea isn't really to build up speed, but rather teach you the right muscles to engage and strengthen them. I think you'd be risking injury if you attempted anything too fast.

Hmm, definitely could see the need of it fizzling over time then. I wasn't sure if as you use it, as you build your muscles and coordination, if it would become easier to attempt to speed up so you continue to improve your swing.

Interesting looking product, and with a guarantee, you cant go wrong.

It's an interesting concept. As a few have said, the price is a little high. But, getting more stability with driving may be worth it. I'm not that concerned about the extra distance, but stability is key.

weight transfer is something I am struggling with at the moment and I think the biggest culprit to my pull hooks....may need to take a look at this.

weight transfer is something I am struggling with at the moment and I think the biggest culprit to my pull hooks....may need to take a look at this.

My miss as well Tim. Only thing is that it only works on one of the causes in the chain reaction, but I've seen a huge lessening of that miss in the last month.

Back