Sammy1965

Reaction score
Handicap
Is it really worth he extra $?

For some perhaps. For me, no.

I do the generic spine alignment using a basic tool I got off of ebay, not the expensive version with frequency testing etc though that is true "pureing"

I've hit pured clubs before, I can't tell a difference.

I did it with my c taper lites and I notice more consistent shot dispersion.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

In my mathematically driven brain, the physics tells me it is the way to go. In reality, is it worth it? I don't know, have never had it done, but if I were to build a set I would do it myself just to see. I have heard about better shot dispersion/more consistency through all of the clubs and my physics (brain) would agree with that, but no real world experience to go off of.

Whether or not neutrally aligning the shaft in your club will have an impact depends on a couple of things. One is the quality of the shaft. This has nothing to do with price by the way, but rather how well the shaft bends uniformly in all directions.

With a spine that measures less than 10 CPM delta between planes, it's unlikely that any but the most discerning professional will be able to see any difference.

With a spine that measures more than 10 CPM between planes, even the hacker will benefit - as the club will not "wobble" in the downswing as it reacts to the offset stiffness in the shaft.

Most shafts are somewhere in between.

I didn't notice much of a difference when I hit drivers that were pured. Haven't hit other clubs though, so I can't say.

In my mathematically driven brain, the physics tells me it is the way to go. In reality, is it worth it? I don't know, have never had it done, but if I were to build a set I would do it myself just to see. I have heard about better shot dispersion/more consistency through all of the clubs and my physics (brain) would agree with that, but no real world experience to go off of.

As a person with an engineering back ground, I feel your pain. I think it's worth it FWIW

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

I think once upon a time, yes. Now, not at all for me.

But, that's my take.

I could not tell the diffrence i think if our swings were as good a pro's you might be able to tell a diffrence but most amatures swings are not repeatable to get enough benifit for the cost

Whenver I built a custom set, I always neutrally aligned the shafts.

Not because a high handicap golfer could feel the difference, or could tell because of his own dispersion problems, but simply to make the highest quality, most consistent set I could make.

The game is hard enough without your clubs working against you too.

My understanding, pureing and spine alignment are animals of a days gone by. Modern technology and manufacturing has made both practices unnecessary.

Is it really worth he extra $?

Nah.. I have a set of KZG wedges I love that I had pured and thought they were pretty decent. When I got new wedges I didn't get them pured and they were even better. So I think not worth it.

Whether or not neutrally aligning the shaft in your club will have an impact depends on a couple of things. One is the quality of the shaft. This has nothing to do with price by the way, but rather how well the shaft bends uniformly in all directions.

With a spine that measures less than 10 CPM delta between planes, it's unlikely that any but the most discerning professional will be able to see any difference.

With a spine that measures more than 10 CPM between planes, even the hacker will benefit - as the club will not "wobble" in the downswing as it reacts to the offset stiffness in the shaft.

Most shafts are somewhere in between.

I would agree with this statement. I have aligned some shafts that are just plain as day where the seam and bend point are--you can rotate it 180 degrees and bend it to have it pop right back on the spine--some I have done it just does not work the same way--more even bend all the way around and you have to flex it a ton to find the spine.

My understanding, pureing and spine alignment are animals of a days gone by. Modern technology and manufacturing has made both practices unnecessary.

All steel shafts are formed with a hard side, and many have a slight bend in them. This has not changed in recent years.

Though there are sheet wrapped graphite shafts that exhibit less than 1cpm spines, the manual layup sheet wrap processes used by most shaft manufacturers still induces some significant variation in the shaft.

Filament wound shafts tend to not exhibit a hard side, unless they cure slightly out of round.

You cannot simply look at a shaft and tell if it has a hard side, it must be measured.

Shaft Pureing

All steel shafts are formed with a hard side, and many have a slight bend in them. This has not changed in recent years.

Though there are sheet wrapped graphite shafts that exhibit less than 1cpm spines, the manual layup sheet wrap processes used by most shaft manufacturers still induces some significant variation in the shaft.

Filament wound shafts tend to not exhibit a hard side, unless they cure slightly out of round.

You cannot simply look at a shaft and tell if it has a hard side, it must be measured.

Not going to lie or imply anything, but all of that sounds like a reason to charge somebody an extra $15 during a fitting.

From what I have read, pureing is not necessary anymore.

Not going to lie or imply anything, but all of that sounds like a reason to charge somebody an extra $15 during a fitting.

From what I have read, pureing is not necessary anymore.

Well you are actually implying that the top golf professionals in the business - who still do this - are ripping off their customers, so I'll take that for what it is.

I'm sure there are plenty of places you can read neutral alignment is no longer necessary. As a shaft designer and custom club maker with decades of experience, I cannot make the same statement.

In thousands of clubs I never charged extra for it or even told my customers they were going to get neutrally aligned shafts unless they insisted on logo down. Then I would educate them, and either pick thru shaft inventory until I found the smallest measurable spine, or simply accepted their direction and installed a suboptimal orientation...

Well you are actually implying that the top golf professionals in the business - who still do this - are ripping off their customers, so I'll take that for what it is.

I'm sure there are plenty of places you can read neutral alignment is no longer necessary. As a shaft designer and custom club maker with decades of experience, I cannot make the same statement.

In thousands of clubs I never charged extra for it or even told my customers they were going to get neutrally aligned shafts unless they insisted on logo down. Then I would educate them, and either pick thru shaft inventory until I found the smallest measurable spine, or simply accepted their direction and installed a suboptimal orientation...

I think that he is saying if you charged extra for pureing the typical amateur will not be able to tell the difference good on you for building the best for your customers and not charging extra

I'm actually a believer in puring or spine aligning. But at $29.95 per shaft plus the cost of a new grip at PGA SS, I think that's excessive. My fitter did it for free.

I'm actually a believer in puring or spine aligning. But at $29.95 per shaft plus the cost of a new grip at PGA SS, I think that's excessive. My fitter did it for free.
Yeah, it may not affect me in any way, but since I have the alignment tool and its for me I do it. At least on Drivers that have adjustable settings I guess only one position can be the true alignment--on those I align and typically play the neutral setting.

I had my J40's re-shafted last year with Aerotech Steel Fiber shafts. They charged a single fee for each club which included each being spined. They apparently thought it a best practice for their customers.

I have had 1 driver shaft pured by a local club builder and he did it because he want's the customer to play the best they can. That shaft was the smoothest thing I have ever swung. Was it smooth because of the process? I don't know I never played it in another club it could just be a great fitting shaft for me. If I had to pay for it I wouldn't do it and probably wouldn't notice a difference if my fitter was going to do it because he believed in it and at no cost I would do it again.

Maybe I'll give it a shot in longer irons. I don't have a local club builder I trust anymore though.

Back