Golf Etiquette - part 2 - Radios on the course

People must have more common sense where you're at. Lol

Up here, I can already see things getting out of hand with obnoxious groups.

Damn kids play the wrong tees and now want to blast music! (Sarcastic tone here)

I personally love music and have it on all the time at work and home. I've been known to spend a couple thousand dollars on a new system in my car and I play it loud. I like music that most people don't care for, especially here in Utah. It would never fly with my group and that's totally fine by me. I won't go get headphones though and seclude myself just to listen to music.

Golf is also very different for me than most. I work two jobs and almost 70 hours a week so I can afford top notch lessons and practice. My goal isn't "just to have fun" on the course. My goal is to beat my own personal bests and play in competitive events.

I'd say that my goals include all three of those things. Either way, I'm not pushing agenda. Just saying it doesn't really have to be a contentious topic, either here or at the course.

Why is it OK for a tour pro to blame his bad shot on the shutter of a camera or gallery talking ... but the average hack has to put blame on the fact that he is just poor at golf??

What? Not sure what you are asking

I've never gone to the course if there's a Longhorn football game on but that aside if I was on the course and someone had a football game in the fall I could support that totally.

Really the speakers don't even travel that far outside. Cell phone speakers can't be heard from more than a few yards away and most bluetooth speakers are only a little louder.

In which case, I have no problem with you listening to it in the cart - as long as you don't start singing along and absolutely murdering a decent song :D

Until I have experienced the situation, I will say that I cannot comment beyond the questions I have already posed (and have been answered) and I will respectfully follow along with those who are in a better position to discuss this topic

Music on the course.....especially at a FUN THP event is nearly a must as far as I'm concerend. When you have some tunes going you're having fun and you're relaxed. I'm not jamming music during a Morgan Cup round (that's not the captains match). I'm not jamming tunes during the Club Championship, but put my in a 4 man scramble or a fun THP event and you better believe the tunes are going to be going. If someone has a huge issue with it.....the volume will be adjusted so that my cart hears it only. But.....that has never happened.

Once we heard y'all's and it was louder than ours (from 20 yards away), Mike Fox says we need to change the station.

That's when hip hop and drinks started flowing. :)
Boom goes the dynamite!!! Our music did get a little loud(ish) toward the end there.....

I'm not a fan of music on the course at all, if you want to listen to it put in headphones and I'm a musician. I just don't think the course is the place for it.

Couple of years back I got invited to play in a scramble out in West Texas with some guy I met at the local muni. I guess he liked the way I played, because he ponied up the entry fee and all I had to do is drive out to the place the tourney was being held (a couple of hours west). Turned out most of the other players spoke no English (which was ok, since I know Spanish) but the weird part was that everyone had their own pimped out carts, complete with boomboxes playing Mariachi Music during the round. Surprisingly, it didn't bother me at all. I don't think I would want to play with music all the time, but in that particular case it was ok. They also had the best food on the course (flour tortillas for the sausages rather than hotdog buns was genius), so how could I complain.

Couple of years back I got invited to play in a scramble out in West Texas with some guy I met at the local muni. I guess he liked the way I played, because he ponied up the entry fee and all I had to do is drive out to the place the tourney was being held (a couple of hours west). Turned out most of the other players spoke no English (which was ok, since I know Spanish) but the weird part was that everyone had their own pimped out carts, complete with boomboxes playing Mariachi Music during the round. Surprisingly, it didn't bother me at all. I don't think I would want to play with music all the time, but in that particular case it was ok. They also had the best food on the course (flour tortillas for the sausages rather than hotdog buns was genius), so how could I complain.

If he invites you again, I'll come along. Sounds like fun.

Love listening to music whether it's with head phones or a blue tooth speaker. It's never loud enough to be heard outside of the cart so no issues distracting other groups. If someone in the group has an issue then I understand and would shut it off but I have found most people enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Why is it OK for a tour pro to blame his bad shot on the shutter of a camera or gallery talking ... but the average hack has to put blame on the fact that he is just poor at golf??

I think it goes back to the fact it is a sudden sound and not constant. They can't do anything about planes flying around, etc. It bothers them because it is a sudden, unexpected sound. If the noise were constant I don't think it would be as big of an issue. I know this isn't a catch all but I think that is what they are complaining about

I don't mind it. Leave it on the cart, though and low enough that only my group hears it.

I love having a speaker on the course. Never turn it up too loud to be distracting for other groups, and I always ask my partners if it is ok. Keeps the mood light and is quite enjoyable

I don't usually take music on normal rounds here at home, but when I'm abroad and carts are used, ^^^this is how I usually do it.

Quoting for truth as I was getting was there when she said this. At Cowboys it was the first time I have listened to music on the course and I liked it. I imagine the guys I play with won't have a problem with it. I like all kinds of music so I can be flexible.

Glad to hear you liked the music. Honestly, I'd never played with music before either, but am going to from here on out if the folks I'm playing with don't mind. It relaxed me while playing and helped forget bad shots quicker. Also, wasn't too loud and could barely hear it on the green most of the time. If anyone had a problem, I'd turn it down or off, but definitely going to listen if I can.

My home course has a ban on music on the course, including the use of headphones, for obvious reasons (hard to hear someone yell fore!). It is our course board of director (of which I serve) opinion that while one may enjoy the music, we don't want it to bother others on the course. We also feel and all agree that anyone and everyone can surely live for two to four hours without music.

With that being said, we also realize that overall play is down. This has been the trend for the past two to four years. We also hear from the USGA that people playing golf in the 18 to 30 age group is at a all time low. It is I think for the most part, this age group that wants to play music on the course. So, for this reason our rules on this are always subject to change as we do want more people in this group to not only play but to bring new people into the game, sort of a go with the flow thought. It is a sign of the times.

The same can be said of cell phones. We have signs at the first and ninth tee asking that phones be off or or be set to vibrate only and that phones should not be used unless there is NO chance of holding up the group behind. I've used my phone on the course and I've texted on the course, but I've never held anyone (including those in my group) up in doing so. It is all about doing the right thing and making sure everyone, not just yourself, gets to enjoy their time on the course.

Right now music on the course often just becomes another reason for someone to call the clubhouse and complain which results in someone having to make a trip out to the course and asking someone to turn down or turn off the music.

The headphone ban I'd guess, will never be lifted, again for obvious reasons. You get hit the head with a ball and get a serious injury, there will no doubt be lawyers and the court system involved, so it is a very bad idea for everyone. Puts a huge risk on the course.

I play with some guys that use their cellphones to play music and I have no problem with it. If it were in competition then I know they wouldn't play anything but 97% of rounds I play aren't serious competition. I take my own play seriously but don't try to take the game too seriously. In the end we're just in a big park chasing a ball we hit.

I don't do it but have played with those who have. I think a general rule is if you can still hear it 5 steps from your cart, its to loud. I would have no problem asking someone to turn it down a bit. Just don't force me to hear your music choices.

I don't bring music to the course, but as long as it's not too loud, I don't pay it much mind.

I have no issues with music on the course as long as I don't hear it coming from another hole. Competition rounds don't feel it should be allowed.

I have no issues with music on the course as long as I don't hear it coming from another hole. Competition rounds don't feel it should be allowed.

That is good because there will be music for our practice round in Myrtle and it will be loud.

That is good because there will be music for our practice round in Myrtle and it will be loud.

Now I never said others hearing my music. :alien: #packcardboardbreakdancing

Lots of guys in the MC listen to music during practice rounds. Is it going to bother you? Make sure your Ina quiet group....alone (I kid) but a lot of guys do like music when they play.

I realize I'm in the minority on this, and that's fine. I was just giving my opinion on the question that was asked.

I'm a huge music fan, but I don't like it on the course. Just my preference.

IMHO .... Radios have no place on the golf course. I have some guys come out and have a boom box in the back of the cart or an IPOD with a portable speaker in the front of the cart. Now for the most part, the sound is not too high to where you can hear it throughout the course ... but we can definitely hear it in OUR group.
What do you guys think?? Should this be banned? A sign put up at the clubhouse just like the "NO COOLERS" sign?? I, myself, find it very annoying! :angry:
Even a good friend of mine brought it out to a tournament we played in last year. I couldn't believe it! I told him that if he ever did that again I was never playing with them again in a tournament. I take all my golf seriously and find that to be uncalled for on the course.

Thoughts??

I'm with you all the way. First of all, some other guy's music is unlikely to be to my taste, and I don't think it belongs on the course in the first place. Once again, Etiquette is about showing respect for the players around you, and playing your music so that it's audible to anyone but you is rude.

Love music when I play, its all about a good time. I can try to fire off a low round AND have a good time.

Oddly enough, I have a simply wonderful time just playing golf. I would have a much less wonderful time if I had to listen to your type of music for 4+ hours. I'd probably be inclined to leave by the turn.

... and playing your music so that it's audible to anyone but you is rude.
As has been said about a dozen times (if not more) in this very thread ... everyone here in this thread that plays music, plays their music so it's only audible to those in that group, and no one else.

By the way, when are we going back to playing in ties, suits, and bowler hats? Every generation has their own idea of what constitutes proper etiquette, though pretty much everyone in this thread has agreed that it's not ok to be a dillweed on the course.

Back