PING Karsten Hybrid Iron Set Review Thread

More wide like a cleveland mt u have gamed wide?

I thought that was the way the light was hitting it in the pictures but I do see it now. That is pretty dang smart. Keep the added weight, but alter the turf interaction. Pretty slick Ping.

More wide like a cleveland mt u have gamed wide?

I have an MT and will compare tomorrow. In ways, I do think there are similarities.

I thought that was the way the light was hitting it in the pictures but I do see it now. That is pretty dang smart. Keep the added weight, but alter the turf interaction. Pretty slick Ping.

I thought so too. I also like that it's mostly hidden at address.

I'm a little baffled by it, but I'm obsessed with these irons right now. I've been thinking about them all day. Some of this is probably due to some work I'm putting in on the swing, but I don't think I've hit more than one or two balls that were really poor out of a couple hundred, which is amazing. Then factor in that they feel so uncharacteristically good and I'm sitting here wondering when I'm going to find something I don't like. Maybe the offset I guess, but who the hell cares about that anyway. The top line is not shovel-ish (for lack of a better word. I hate that word). It's just like most other GI irons. You people need to go hit them so we can compare some notes. I really think this is a set that could find a ton of love with some THP'rs, and coming into this I was not all that interested at all on a personal level.

I'm going to put them on the monitor on Saturday so I can devote some real time to them. I'm hoping they are long. Really long and really high. If that happens I don't know what the hell the future holds. Haven't even swung the hybrid yet either, so I'll do that.

Also interesting to note. These spec out almost identical to the SpeedBlade in length and loft. I will be interested to hear reactions to that over time.

I need to see these in person again Hawk, some really solid and promising initial thoughts so far. I love a surprised Hawk, I know how you kinda had some trepidation coming in, so I get a kick out of this.

I need to see these in person again Hawk, some really solid and promising initial thoughts so far. I love a surprised Hawk, I know how you kinda had some trepidation coming in, so I get a kick out of this.

I think we could do a forum testing on these and blow some minds.

I love blown minds. You know this.

Paging the boss man....

Its an iron that would get great feedback at a THP Event, but way too many preconceived notions about a set like this on the internet (not THP necessarily, just the internet).

I'm a little baffled by it, but I'm obsessed with these irons right now. I've been thinking about them all day. Some of this is probably due to some work I'm putting in on the swing, but I don't think I've hit more than one or two balls that were really poor out of a couple hundred, which is amazing. Then factor in that they feel so uncharacteristically good and I'm sitting here wondering when I'm going to find something I don't like. Maybe the offset I guess, but who the hell cares about that anyway. The top line is not shovel-ish (for lack of a better word. I hate that word). It's just like most other GI irons. You people need to go hit them so we can compare some notes. I really think this is a set that could find a ton of love with some THP'rs, and coming into this I was not all that interested at all on a personal level.

I'm going to put them on the monitor on Saturday so I can devote some real time to them. I'm hoping they are long. Really long and really high. If that happens I don't know what the hell the future holds. Haven't even swung the hybrid yet either, so I'll do that.

Also interesting to note. These spec out almost identical to the SpeedBlade in length and loft. I will be interested to hear reactions to that over time.
Interesting, Hawk. Blowing minds is always fun.

Its an iron that would get great feedback at a THP Event, but way too many preconceived notions about a set like this on the internet (not THP necessarily, just the internet).

I had my own concerns. No doubt about that at all. Crazy stuff. I would kill to go play a round with them tomorrow. Frick.

I had my own concerns. No doubt about that at all. Crazy stuff. I would kill to go play a round with them tomorrow. Frick.
I know a place that has open tee times... :alien:

Interesting, Hawk. Blowing minds is always fun.

You are somebody that I could see really liking them. I've had that thought a few times now.

You are somebody that I could see really liking them. I've had that thought a few times now.
Interesting, for sure.

Give me launch. Give me distance. I'll be happy.

For anybody that has hit these, what are your thoughts on the feel at impact? Maybe something they remind you of?

I ask because somewhere I've hit something similar, but they are really unique. Like unnaturally soft to the point of almost something I'd describe as muted. Part of that is the ball I'm using for practice (Cally SuperSoft), but I've hit a bunch of irons with that ball and none are quite like this one. I'm going to guess a big part of it is the CTP.

I hit them with steel shafts and kept looking at the club after impact thinking they must actually be graphite. You are right that they are very muted and at least to me do not feel like any previous Ping iron.

Wow, launch is incredibly high with these without the spin getting too excessive which leads to some impressive yardage for people who traditionally have launched too low. I have been seeing shots 1/2-3/4 inches off center that lose virtually no ball speed and the spin stays steady. We have already sold 5 sets since release and I think the shop has only sold 10 total sets in that timeframe. Ping has something special here (and I say that as someone who cannot play them).

I hit them with steel shafts and kept looking at the club after impact thinking they must actually be graphite. You are right that they are very muted and at least to me do not feel like any previous Ping iron.

Wow, launch is incredibly high with these without the spin getting too excessive which leads to some impressive yardage for people who traditionally have launched too low. I have been seeing shots 1/2-3/4 inches off center that lose virtually no ball speed and the spin stays steady. We have already sold 5 sets since release and I think the shop has only sold 10 total sets in that timeframe. Ping has something special here (and I say that as someone who cannot play them).

See, I knew I'd hear something like that. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for chiming in.

See, I knew I'd hear something like that. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for chiming in.

I know you weren't thrilled with the G25s - the Karstens really are notably easier to launch and more forgiving. The gap is definitely larger than say it was between the K15 and the G15. I sort of have the feeling the Ping designers are showing off - "you want forgiving, check this out".

I know you weren't thrilled with the G25s - the Karstens really are notably easier to launch and more forgiving. The gap is definitely larger than say it was between the K15 and the G15. I sort of have the feeling the Ping designers are showing off - "you want forgiving, check this out".

G25's sort of came to me at a bad time. They were very solid and I knew they'd be loved, but on a personal level I just found an option that worked better. I'm just so surprised that I feel like I'm hitting a regular old GI iron with these. Not what I expected at all.

Love tour excitement with these. Not that I need more irons but I definitely want to try these out and see if I see what you have seen thus far.

Love tour excitement with these. Not that I need more irons but I definitely want to try these out and see if I see what you have seen thus far.

You're another one I thought of Deano.

My low ball teammates. We have to stick together. Ha!

No doubt dude. I understand what I need in an iron, and whatever gives me better launch is what will be in the bag.

Took me a long time to realize it, but it is what it is.

I was excited about these from the get go, but seeing how much you're liking them has me even more pumped!

That's some good stuff Hawk. You are not one to get easily impressed or obsessed with an iron set with how much your bag changes due to testing.

Ping is a brand that I don't think I've ever had in the bag. I've thoroughly enjoyed hybrid iron sets in the past and am already thinking post MC what I will game long term....as much as it hurts to say, I'm looking forward to building a stable game that will bring some consistency to my game.

And since Jman wants to see these....I suggest they are shipped to TX post review so Jman and I can enjoy them together....maybe write a review! :)

Keep it up, looking forward to reading more.

Back