Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

HB3 was out for 2 years I believe. I think te HiBore was too. Not sure what that means though.

Phew....that's a lot of thread! All really interesting stuff guys, thanks. Posted in the MT thread, but going to be really interested in trying the Altitudes, MT and TT in all sorts of combinations...

Still playing the 5-6 iron from this set and would find it hard to believe it leaves anytime soon. The amount of confidence I have in these clubs is very helpful in choosing what to play off the tee.

That's good to hear JB. I am going to give the Altitude 6 out tonight at the golf sim. Seem's pretty easy to hit in the net downstairs, can't wait to see what it can do on the sim.
Still playing the 5-6 iron from this set and would find it hard to believe it leaves anytime soon. The amount of confidence I have in these clubs is very helpful in choosing what to play off the tee.

I had multiple sets of Altitudes (both steel and graphite) and personally felt that the 6 and the 5 were the two best clubs (in that order). They were significantly better than the 3 and 4 (tough for me to hit) and 7 (tinny sounding). The 5 and 6 were just the sweet spot in that design. If I could have gapped them in well with my other clubs, I'd have done the exact same thing with the steel shafted versions.

Played the 6 altitude tonight on the Sim. Defiantly didn't have an issue getting in the air which is good for me. Just had it aim in the wrong spot. Hopefully when it gets warm this weeks can try out out on the range.

Played the 6 altitude tonight on the Sim. Defiantly didn't have an issue getting in the air which is good for me. Just had it aim in the wrong spot. Hopefully when it gets warm this weeks can try out out on the range.

Play it like an iron and prepare to be impressed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Play it like an iron and prepare to be impressed!

This is the bit I struggled with. I just couldn't get it in my head to hit down on it like an iron. Then, in a feeble attempt to manipulate hitting down, moving the ball back in my stance brought out the big hook (that's my story--and I'm sticking to it).

This is the bit I struggled with. I just couldn't get it in my head to hit down on it like an iron. Then, in a feeble attempt to manipulate hitting down, moving the ball back in my stance brought out the big hook (that's my story--and I'm sticking to it).

Yea same here, will make it work better next time whenever that is.

I got lazy while using them. I stopped concentrating because they look so forgiving.

I got lazy while using them. I stopped concentrating because they look so forgiving.

Good point.

Went out and swung mine today with that thought "don't baby them".

Was hitting them better than ever, so thanks!

Also, my buddy (9 handicap) hit the altitudes and was shocked.

He said the looks were "hybrid-esque" but that it didn't bother him.

He was crushing them. Cool to see a "better player" hitting the 'tudes.

Good point.

Went out and swung mine today with that thought "don't baby them".

Was hitting them better than ever, so thanks!

Happy to help. I read through the entire thread before I purchased a set last year and the swing thoughts were the same from everyone who had tried them. Play them like irons and they will treat you very well.

I've been working on a more upright plane (my previous was more round the body), that and my coaches tip of picturing the clubface squeezing the ball into the turf on impact combine to make fantastic looking flights with the altitudes. Descending blows definitely get the best out of these for me. Just wish I could pull it off more often :)

The "swing it like an iron" thing worked for me with the 5 down. The head size on the 4 and the 3 was just too big for me to do that. I felt like I was bouncing the club into the ball, as opposed to getting ball first contact.

From about the 8-DW, you may as well be playing a SGI iron. Admittedly, the face is still on the bigger side, but I really didn't see much difference at all in setup, address, etc., particularly out of the steel shafted models.

For me the set is all about whether you like the 3-4 and the 7. If so, then buy the whole set. If not, just play the 5/6 like JB is currently doing.

Good point rye.

I don't have the 3 iron, but love the 4. Quickly replacing my woods as the second shot on par 5's and long par 4's.

Great round with the Tudes today (4-pw )

Hit some good and bad ones, but still really happy with these sticks!

That's good to hear your happy with them. I still can't wait to hit these on some grass as I have only hit them on turf this winter.

Very nice Rush! I really do miss mine a lot from time to time. Might need to grab another set this winter.

Awesome, I kept the 3 from my set and still use it now and then, and my dad has a set in Senior flex he still loves too--I have to grab one and hit it now and then--so easy to get off the ground with them!

Well, I snuck out today for a 42 degree round of golf. As I was about to pull out of the driveway, I decided to throw the Altitudes back in the bag. I figured the extra forgiveness and graphite shafts for contact on the semi-frozen ground might be a good thing.

Well, I think I was right. Shot a reasonable 7 over 79 at White Oaks from the only tees they had out, 6000 yards. Used the 3 hyron off the tee a lot to good effect, and hit some pin seeking lasers with the DW and PW. Its just a great set. The size and top line of these are significantly larger than the Speedblades, but it didn't affect my accuracy. In fact, I hit some of the straightest shots I've hit in a while. It could have been a really good round if I could make any putts. 2 3-putts and only made one putt over 5 feet of length all day (and it was only 8 feet). I think I had 6 birdie chances of 20 feet or less, couldn't make any of them.

I think these will be staying in the bag for a while, maybe the year.

Nice to hear !

I still love mine....been hitting tons of great shots with the 8-DW...in fact the DW is my favorite club now....7Iron is pretty solid...but 6 and 5 are nothing but pull hooks...it's the Indian not the arrow....but it's an issue I am working on.

I'm currently working on getting a set of these back in the bag, they are just an extremely solid offering that you can rely on day in and day out even if your swing is not dialed in that day.

Welcome back Cookie. Sometimes a club just works for you, and we always think the grass is greener somewhere else.

Back