2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's arguable at best lol. I did yesterday though. It seemed like the videos I found just did a lot of talking and not many sets.

The other thing you can do is switch up the rep time - meaning hold and lower at different time intervals during the exercise

The PDF I followed yesterday seemed to help quite a bit and has a number of different workouts to mix it up on a daily basis. Honestly, it just seemed like the videos I was watching were about 1/3 of a workout if that makes sense. Some exercises I'm finding I do have to increase my angle to get much out of, but then others I have to really do things the easy way. Just depends.

Yup. You'll have that. Don't be affraid to mix in some body weight jump squats or burpees, just to mix in some easy cardio work.

Sorry again folks for not being around. Dad took a major turn for the worse and much of my time has been in the hospital. I'll be in here as much as I can

No need to apologize. Priorities.

Squat jumps are pretty good for getting the heart rate up. Burpees are an aquired taste I'm coming to find.

2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Squat jumps are pretty good for getting the heart rate up. Burpees are an aquired taste I'm coming to find.

Lower you body to a height - like half way or 3/4 the come back up and go all the way down. That is one rep

Sweet. Thanks dude.

burpees effing blow. but they are effective.

Sweet. Thanks dude.

I know for me - changing up how long I hold a position is a really good way to change the same exercise and kick start it back up

My issue with them is that I have to be really careful. My interior (I think) meniscus is shot in both knees and if I put direct pressure on them it freaking hurts.

My issue with them is that I have to be really careful. My interior (I think) meniscus is shot in both knees and if I put direct pressure on them it freaking hurts.

Don't rule out surgery. I injured my left meniscus 10 years ago but waited 8 years to have surgery and now at age 48 my knee is very close to normal. It used to hurt after every round of golf and now I have no discomfort. Also had left rotator cuff reconstruction and right knee ACL replacement 2 years ago and now all joints are 95%+. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid of surgery as all of mine have turned out great. I wish I would have done them sooner.

Don't rule out surgery. I injured my left meniscus 10 years ago but waited 8 years to have surgery and now at age 48 my knee is very close to normal. It used to hurt after every round of golf and now I have no discomfort. Also had left rotator cuff reconstruction and right knee ACL replacement 2 years ago and now all joints are 95%+. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid of surgery as all of mine have turned out great. I wish I would have done them sooner.

Man, I know it. I don't know why I put it off. I've known about it for over five years now. It rarely bothers me anymore, but I had to quit running and certain exercises are no-go's for me. Day to day it's just not an issue that often (occasionally it hits me if I'm in a certain position), so I just don't think about it until it goes OWW.

Another reason why burpees are awful.

Wall squats are easier on the joints and will beat you up nicely. Get bored, do one legged ones.

Another reason why burpees are awful.

Wall squats are easier on the joints and will beat you up nicely. Get bored, do one legged ones.

TRX squats actually don't cause me any pain thankfully.

Ran a personal best 5k at 26 min flat, while dodging gym track traffic.
BUT, I've been struggling since Christmas with maintaining weight. Slipping back into some old (BAD) eating habits. I've gained 10 and it would be more if I wasn't exercising so much. Gotta find some motivation!

Paying for the St Patricks Day parade big time today. Was up at 5:30am saturday to hit the gym (keeping my consecutive gym streak alive!) and then proceeded to celebrate well into the evening. Tried catching up on some sleep yesterday around a quick trip to the sauna and about 3 gallons of water to no avail. Hopefully a nice light workout followed by some volleyball tonight will get me back in the swing of things. Just over 3 weeks left in my transformation challenge, time to kick it into high gear!

Personal best deadlift tonight! Feels good.

Today was my 1st back to my fitness transformation. I was unable to do practically anything for a few weeks, having had a hairline fracture in my foot. After seeing not only my lesson video and several other pictures...I was disgusted with my midsection.

So I decided it was time to change that, not only for my golf fitness, but personal fitness. I started off by walking 18 holes on a long course. I followed that up by a 1.75 mile run, biceps and triceps, and finished off with some ab work. Tomorrow is a new day and I will be working on shoulders, chest, and back!

Today was my 1st back to my fitness transformation. I was unable to do practically anything for a few weeks, having had a hairline fracture in my foot. After seeing not only my lesson video and several other pictures...I was disgusted with my midsection.

So I decided it was time to change that, not only for my golf fitness, but personal fitness. I started off by walking 18 holes on a long course. I followed that up by a 1.75 mile run, biceps and triceps, and finished off with some ab work. Tomorrow is a new day and I will be working on shoulders, chest, and back!

Good plan. Do you have a leg day scheduled?

This week has been Combatives week with the company. Wrestling, grappling, BJJ, and the exercises associated with them, are the best ab/hip workouts in the world. And learning to do work while someone is trying to choke you into unconsciousness is great for mental clarity under duress. So much fun. Wish I had gotten into ground/submission fighting when I were a younger man.

I am probably thinking on Thursday. Honestly I have never really worked my legs outside of when I did P90X. I know it is important and should focus on a full body routine. Do you have any recommendations?

I am probably thinking on Thursday. Honestly I have never really worked my legs outside of when I did P90X. I know it is important and should focus on a full body routine. Do you have any recommendations?

Squats. Front or back. Dead lifts. Full or straight leg. Single leg good mornings. Single leg squats. Box jumps. Side to side lunges.

Read: all the leg exercises.

If you haven't done legs in a while, I would recommend using your body weight for squats and lunges. Maybe add light dumbbells if you want. That's one area where you can get injured real easy.

Good advice as I would hate to sidetrack my road to increased fitness. I have never been to excited to do squats.
If you haven't done legs in a while, I would recommend using your body weight for squats and lunges. Maybe add light dumbbells if you want. That's one area where you can get injured real easy.

I've been on a good roll...working out, cardio etc. Now I'm feeling the flu coming...I hate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back