10 Most Miserable States

It's ok, Lovebugs will take care of those.

Folklore

Urban legend holds that lovebugs are synthetic—the result of a University of Florida genetics experiment gone wrong.
Much speculation about the lovebug still thrives. This is partly because the larval form of this insect is seldom seen, as it lives and feeds in the thatch of grasses for most of the year. While various fungi are suspected of being natural controls for this species, biological control of these non-pest flies is not a priority for funding.
Research by L.L. Buschman showed that migration explained the introduction of the lovebug into Florida and other southeastern states, contrary to the urban myth that the University of Florida created them by manipulating DNA to control mosquito populations.

Uggh, love bugs.

How could the whole northeast not be included!

Another reason to hate Ohio? How about I give you two ... Dayton and Ohio State.

My billionaire dreams shattered in the span of 40 minutes.

After making the drive to Colorado, anything in the heartland qualifies. Ohio is terrible for many reasons. And then Iowa and Nebraska are brutal. Nothing there. Throw in Kansas and Oklahoma too.

Another reason to hate Ohio? How about I give you two ... Dayton and Ohio State.

My billionaire dreams shattered in the span of 40 minutes.

Lol everyone from ohio knew to pick dayton.. i guess we had inside info from watching that terrible OSU team play all year.

After making the drive to Colorado, anything in the heartland qualifies. Ohio is terrible for many reasons. And then Iowa and Nebraska are brutal. Nothing there. Throw in Kansas and Oklahoma too.

And Michigan has wonderful Detroit

Having lived in MI for five years, I'm sorry to say that just about anywhere in the US is better. Even IL with its corrupt govt beats MI dude.

NJ gets a bad wrap but it is not a bad place to live. You are 90 minutes from open space, hiking, winter sports, cultural stuff and the ocean from anywhere in the state.

I've had a friend that moved from New Jersey to Arkansas when he retired. He couldn't get away from Jersey fast enough.
Another friend of mine spent a year working there and you would be hard pressed to get him to travel any farther NE than Knoxville, TN.
Don't get me wrong, Arkansas has lot of depressing areas (Pine Bluff and most of the Delta), but with the way that the NW corner of the state and the Jonesboro area are growing, the state can't be that miserable.

been to them all, some quite a bit due to work, and the only one i'd disagree with pretty vehemently is TN. I actually was even considering moving to Nashville for a while. Granted, most of my travels take me to Knoxville, Nashville, and Chatanooga... haven't been to memphis.

Well, the list doesn't really surprise me too much. I grew up in what is called the Tri-State area (OH-KY-WV) right where all three states meet. As a kid, it was a great place to grow up and live. Plenty of land to roam around play in, just a good old country feel to it all. But as an adult, economically, there is no way I could have stayed there to live.

I disagree. Even if there is some gov problems, Michigan is still a great state. Other than California, no other state has more to offer between the great lakes, sand dunes, the UP, ski hills, golf courses etc..
Having lived in MI for five years, I'm sorry to say that just about anywhere in the US is better. Even IL with its corrupt govt beats MI dude.

This survey just like most are so bias from the start to finish. Yes Kentucky is like most other states, we have some poverty areas even in Louisville. I Just saw a report a few weeks ago of a similar survey on MSN that said CALIFORNIA was the worst, Michigan second, with N.H. , Mass, Vermont and then it went to Illinois, Miss, Ala. So I can see how a weighed survey could bring about such views and how that can sway the ignorant to not form an opinion from personal experience. I just returned from a trip through Ga, S.C., N.C., Tenn, Va, and back to KY. In this trip I saw areas of poverty, low income housing, home repo and many for sale. In our 5 days of meeting I heard from people all across the US of failing economy, loss of jobs and hard times. I wish that people would ban together and start trying to improve whatever you can in the areas we live in and do a part to see things improve in whatever manner we can.

In our 5 days of meeting I heard from people all across the US of failing economy, loss of jobs and hard times. I wish that people would ban together and start trying to improve whatever you can in the areas we live in and do a part to see things improve in whatever manner we can.

When our government AND business leaders entered into the free trade agreements 20 years ago, I wonder if they knew how many jobs would be lost. The prices on our imported goods have not come down, but the quality sure has. I have seen so many closed down factories in every state in our country. It's really sad.

Back