Offshoredoc

Reaction score
Handicap
So, after playing with a cheaper set of Adams Tight Lies irons for the past year (my first set of name brand irons), I'm looking to upgrade. I typically score anywhere from 95-110 depending on the courses around here. Here's what I've somewhat narrowed it down to..

Taylormade Speedblades
Cleveland CG Black Irons
Ping Karstens

I'm not "sold" on these 3 but from reviews and what I've read, these are the 3 choices I feel are good choices for upgrade from a basic set of clubs.

What say you?

SpeedBlades are really good IMO but I haven't tried the other two. I'd consider the Altitudes, Baffler XL's and nike covert 2.0's as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All three are good sets go hit them and see which ones feel the best

My vote is speedblades because I'm buying a set soon haha but you should go hit some that you like and see what's best

Out of the 3 would say Speedblades are the best pick. Check out Bridgestone j40 dcb's, they are great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also say Callaway X2 Hots if you're buying new.

I think so long as this thread stays on the front page, eventually you'll hear recommendations for nearly any set of irons that's come out in the past 2 years. And they're all right.

Get fitted, hit EVERYTHING you can get your hands on, get what feels best, in the adjustments that are suited to your swing.

So, after playing with a cheaper set of Adams Tight Lies irons for the past year (my first set of name brand irons), I'm looking to upgrade. I typically score anywhere from 95-110 depending on the courses around here. Here's what I've somewhat narrowed it down to..

Taylormade Speedblades
Cleveland CG Black Irons
Ping Karstens

I'm not "sold" on these 3 but from reviews and what I've read, these are the 3 choices I feel are good choices for upgrade from a basic set of clubs.

What say you?

The SpeedBlade irons are fun. Long and launch great, with the right amount of forgiveness for a distance iron. I think it all depends on what you're looking for specifically, and how your swing meshes with the irons. Are you looking to add distance or ultimate forgiveness?

The SpeedBlade irons are fun. Long and launch great, with the right amount of forgiveness for a distance iron. I think it all depends on what you're looking for specifically, and how your swing meshes with the irons. Are you looking to add distance or ultimate forgiveness?

Both lol!!! I'm "ok" with my distance as of now so I would lean towards forgiveness.

The Karsten set get my vote. I would also looking at the Adams Idea irons. Lots of forgiveness there.

From personal experience, I would go with the SpeedBlades from what you listed. Karstens could be good but I haven't hit them yet. If possible, add the Altitudes to your list - not the best looking but they are amazing performers and could really change your iron game.

I liked all of them.
The CG Black costs about a third of the other two.
THat would get my vote.

Ive hit all 3

Speedblades were my favorite, high and long with realtive ease.

If cost is a factor, then Id go with CB Black, a very solid iron that Ive played 2-3 rounds with and at a fraction of the cost of the others.

I'd recommend you hit as many irons as you can find in the category your looking at. Don't forget about the Wilson Staff D-100s as well.

Taylormade Speedblades
Cleveland CG Black Irons
Ping Karstens

What say you?

I'm going into my third year of golf, my first year I bought Adams tight lies box set and played almost a year with them. I finally upgraded to the Ping G15 irons and couldn't have made a better choice for myself. Now that I've had the playing time and reduced my handicap to 18 I'm going to upgrade to the new G25 irons. I've hit Callaway and Taylormades irons and they just don't seem to have the feel and forgiveness of the Pings. If I switched from Pings the Callaways would be my next choice. A good friend of mine shoots in the range you are in and he plays the Callaway RazrX HL and I've hit his many times and they feel great. You can get a great deal on them to on ebay to save some money. My Pings will be up for grabs soon as I get the new ones as well, 4-PW,GW,SW,LW steel shafts black dot.

New Irons

CG Black. If shooting 95-110, clubs aren't going to change that much. In 18 holes, you only hit 18 iron shots or so, not counting wedge play around the green. So I'd invest in lessons and/or practice before spending on top-dollar clubs.

Depending on where you're losing strokes you may benefit from a new driver, or wedge changes more so than top dollar irons.

So I 2nd JB...CG Black if anything at this time and save the money. If you are taking lessons, your swing will change some and you'll be doing it again soon enough.

Then again if money is irrelevant and upgrading adds enjoyment, go for it.

I would say you must get fitted. I got a set of speedblades a couple of weeks ago and I think they are amazing, and came out best for me after an extensive fitting session. But that doesn't mean they will work for you. Make sure you try several out, get the correct shaft for your swing and see if you need custom lie etc. no model, however amazing, will make up for being the wrong set up for you.
Post up a note to let people here know how you get on...
best wishes

Thanks guys. I've cane a long way in the past year. Started out consistently shooting 110-120. Might just keep the current irons and keep practicing. Driver and wedges is what needs the most improvement.

Honestly, if you don't care about not having the "newest" equipment go for the TM rocketballz. You can get them for 1/3 of the price they were when they first came out and they have helped my game big time as a player who shoots mid to low 90's.

Id fully recommend hitting the Cleveland Altitudes as well.

I'd also say Callaway X2 Hots if you're buying new.

I think so long as this thread stays on the front page, eventually you'll hear recommendations for nearly any set of irons that's come out in the past 2 years. And they're all right.

Get fitted, hit EVERYTHING you can get your hands on, get what feels best, in the adjustments that are suited to your swing.

I was fitted and just received a set of the Callaway X2 Hots. They feel great and I just like the look of them. I am also taking lessons so I hope to improve over time. The fitter told me that the X2s are clubs which will accomodate my current game as well as my hopefully improved game.

If I were you I would keep your clubs, and take that money and take some lessons. Are you currently taking lessons? The one thing I wish I did was take lessons.

I'm not saying its right, but I used my big 5 set of golf clubs, $199 for a full set and 3 wood, and putter and learned to play that way. I was able to shoot mid 70's with these clubs all day long then I finally got a new set.

I am not saying its right but new clubs are not a end all or cure all.

It sounds to me like you have some really decent clubs. My motto was if I could play well with these clubs I can play well with any clubs.

I'm going into my third year of golf, my first year I bought Adams tight lies box set and played almost a year with them. I finally upgraded to the Ping G15 irons and couldn't have made a better choice for myself. Now that I've had the playing time and reduced my handicap to 18 I'm going to upgrade to the new G25 irons. I've hit Callaway and Taylormades irons and they just don't seem to have the feel and forgiveness of the Pings. If I switched from Pings the Callaways would be my next choice. A good friend of mine shoots in the range you are in and he plays the Callaway RazrX HL and I've hit his many times and they feel great. You can get a great deal on them to on ebay to save some money. My Pings will be up for grabs soon as I get the new ones as well, 4-PW,GW,SW,LW steel shafts black dot.

I'll also be purchasing a set of G25's in the next couple of weeks. They seem incredibly forgiving and even feel good on mishits. After playing Taylormade's, I felt they were too long (physically) and glad I got fit this time around. The Karstens seem nice, but I prefer the G's.

Very interesting discussion. Just a simple comment on a matter that somewhat bothers me. I am a lefty, and did not start playing until I was 55. I am now 75, and, for my age I think I have a pretty good game; but it has, without a doubt, taken the proper clubs to get me there.

For a number of years I took lesson from a number of different instructors. I always was generally able to strike the ball well, but with a considerable slice. I remember one of my first instructors, in attempting to correct my slice; kept having me rotate my grip further to the right shoulder. Proper if you are right handed, but not so good for a lefty. Another instructor kept trying to get my swing parallel to the ground at the top. Perhaps doable at 30 years old, but not at 55+.

I mention these incidents to make the point "All Golf Instructors are not equal." nor are all golf instructors suited for all golfers swings.

Therefore, when I hear the advise "Your are better off spending your money on lessons." a little voice inside of me says "Maybe, maybe not!!". As all clubs are not equal neither are instructors.

Why not try some the clubs you are considering. Compare them side by side on the range, or course if possible. Watch for improvements in consistency, both in striking the ball, and ball flight. If you find a club that consistently provides better results, then wait a couple of days and see if it performs as well again. If it does, it may truly help you improve your game. Different clubs do fit some persons better than others. That is why there is such a variety.

Of course good instruction from a "competent" instructor is always a vital asset.

Hope this helps;

Good Luck

Back