PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

I'm a fan. I really didn't think they would improve on the i20's at all, but, they did. Not earth shatteringly, but they did improve.

I know ball flight is certainly going to differ, but how much more forgiveness am I leaving on the table by playing the s55?

I know ball flight is certainly going to differ, but how much more forgiveness am I leaving on the table by playing the s55?

Compared to these. A lot IMO. I know some of the others who love the s55's will call them incredibly forgiving (we saw that) but there as much as they improved those there these are still a big difference in forgiveness. You couldn't pay me to go back to the s55's even as much as I thought they were a phenomenal players iron set.

Compared to these. A lot IMO. I know some of the others who love the s55's will call them incredibly forgiving (we saw that) but there as much as they improved those there these are still a big difference in forgiveness. You couldn't pay me to go back to the s55's even as much as I thought they were a phenomenal players iron set.

that's what I was looking to hear. I thought they are a really good players set myself, but at times I just think they are still too much iron for me. i25's could be right up my ally.

that's what I was looking to hear. I thought they are a really good players set myself, but at times I just think they are still too much iron for me. i25's could be right up my ally.

I hit the s55s when I first tried to demo the i25s before the clubs came in. I really didn't see any reason to choose the s55s personally since the i25s let me do all the same things just with more wiggle room thanks to their forgiveness.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I hit the s55s when I first tried to demo the i25s before the clubs came in. I really didn't see any reason to choose the s55s personally since the i25s let me do all the same things just with more wiggle room thanks to their forgiveness.

thanks man. Hows the transition from graphite treating you?

thanks man. Hows the transition from graphite treating you?

Still graphite. I will say that I think I like these TFC shafts more than the C Kuas. They play at around 80g instead of the 60g but I didn't lose distance and have better control over dispersion.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I just wanted to let you guys know that PING has been following this thread and they have really enjoyed reading everyone's feedback.

I just wanted to let you guys know that PING has been following this thread and they have really enjoyed reading everyone's feedback.

Goes to show, companies are always checking these things out and seeing whats going on. If that's not motivation for getting your feedback up then nothing will be.

They are a great offering and anyinr who has hit them will agree with your ponder.

They immediately pulled the r11's out of my bag. The performance they off is that of a high standard. The looks are very appealing for a gi iron and the forgivness is above many other irons ive hit.

Id definitely hit them if you get a chance.

You definitely were hitting them well yesterday. Such a nice looking iron.

You definitely were hitting them well yesterday. Such a nice looking iron.

They peform very well with my swing. Piercing trejectory on the lower irons and good height in the higher one. Backing up that pitching wedge yesterday was fun. On full shots they just feel true.

I knew I would like them as ping makes good irons. I just never thought they would kick out the r11's so fast or at all. They have a feel and sound that result in instant feedback which is something I hadnt had in awhile.

Those wedges and I will have a meeting and some practice this week. Ill dedicate some time with them before i play kenderlou this weekend. By then ill know if they are too different for ME or if its just lack of practice on my part.

I had my first round of the year and my first round with the i25s. Overall I was very pleased with what I got out of the irons. A couple of shots stood out, first a 160 yd par three into the wind, I hit a 3/4 6i trying to flight it down a bit and hit it dead on the pin and it landed two feet from the hole. I also had a 115 yd third shot on a par five I hit the PW to about 6 feet. Lastly, I hit 4 I off the tee, there is a creek at 220 yards, I hit a nice mid-high 5 yd fade to 190 yards.
I'm very pleased with the ball flight on these as it is much lower than my R9s, truth be told, I do tend to flip my hands and the R9s would often balloon on me. With the i25s I was fit into the heavier KBS tours (110 g IIRC). I've also been working on keeping my hands in front of the club head at impact. When I do this the flight is a thing of beauty, even the 8-P are a really sweet boring trajectory. Stopping on the greens is yet to be seen, everything is so soggy yet you could get a worm burner to hold.
Looking forward to spending lots more time with these. One month of school left and then lots of golf time.

nice review James! I like the talk about the tech and how it helps make those longer irons more playable. Longer than the i20's with some fresher tech? Yes please

First round out today and it was a mixed bag. I was swinging horribly most of the day, so I didn't get many fair opportunities for feedback. The front 9 was awful and I just couldn't get going, but I started turning it around on the back. I actually started playing fairly well and leaving my tee shots in places where I had a chance. What I noticed confirmed what I'd seen in fitting and my first range session. My left to right dispersion is much better with this head/shaft combo than what I've been playing the past couple of seasons. I started really being able to attack some pins and even when I thought I'd gotten too far off line, the results were actually good. I had stuff stay on the greens that I thought would be off.

I hit one of the best 6-irons I've hit in a long time. Tee shot got into the rough and was sitting about 180 or so yards from a back pin, but it came out perfectly. I had it right on line and it ended up about 7 feet behind the hole. Had it not been in the rough, it could have been a lot closer, but I made the birdie putt, so it was a definite high point in a round that hadn't had many up to that point.

I've been playing more bump-and-run chips in the past few months and I already like doing that more with these irons than my old ones. The RBZs just feel so springy off the face, that a lot of times I'd hit the ball so much farther than I thought it would go. In just one round, these irons feel much more intuitive in this area. Like I can feel how hard to hit it and it's just natural. I can't wait to keep exploring that side of them.

I was really surprised to find that, once I started swing better, my yardages were very close to my RBZ yardages. These are higher lofts and don't have that springy, "distance" kind of face feel to them. Basically everywhere I ended up, I hit the club I'd normally hit before. If I was between, I went up rather than trying to step on the shorter club, but other than that, it's closer so far than what I expected.

I really wish I'd played better today, but the back 9 gave me some good vibes to carry into the next round.

It doesn't surprise me that the i25's would be more responsive to you. I'm looking forward to hearing how these factor into your next couple rounds and range sessions!

What kind of flight are you seeing? is it consistent?

It doesn't surprise me that the i25's would be more responsive to you. I'm looking forward to hearing how these factor into your next couple rounds and range sessions!

What kind of flight are you seeing? is it consistent?

Flight is very consistent so far and I don't expect that to change. It's high, but in a good way. With the CFS, I was hitting high and they just ballooned and lost steam quickly. With the KBS Tour shafts, I'm not seeing that rainbow shot shape. It's more like launching a missile that holds it's trajectory perfectly the entire way up. You think it's done gaining altitude, but it keeps going even farther. They're landing nice and softly as well. It's basically the perfect iron flight, at least the kind that I like best. I hit the different CFS options extensively outdoors and then again on a launch monitor and I'm quite confident that I ended up with the right combination for me.

My Club is having a Ping Demo Day tomorrow. I am going to hit these and the I-25 driver. Cant wait to try them out

Really great review. Ping makes top notch product and I loved the launch on the I25s when I demoed them.

Nice write up James. Great info as usual. Can't really imagine dumping the i20s but your review does make it tempting.

I'm looking to purchase a set of Ping irons in a week or so and have been very interested in people's results. Glad to see such a thorough thread. The G25/I25 decisions is going to be tough.

Thanks for all the comments on the homepage review, it means a lot.

Looking forward to this one continuing to roll though, love getting the feedback from all of the testers since we all have different points of view, its what makes THP Forum reviews awesome, mass feedback from all angles, thought processes, and preferences. Keep em' coming fellas!

Was a great front page review, Jman. Really enjoyed reading.

Just got done playing another round with the i25's. Will have an updated review shortly.

Back