JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think there is an issue with PED usage on the professional tours?

I'm pretty sure it is present to some extent, but besides the player's health, I dont see it as a big issue at this point

I'm going to be naive and say no. But would I be surprised if there was? Hell no.

I think it would be silly to assume PED's aren't used.

I found it interesting that in 2 of the last 3 Feherty shows both Sneeds and Kuchar feel that the tour is wasting its money with drug testing, though both admit that it is not going anywhere soon with Olympic golf in the mix for at least the next several years.

Yes, I think its on a very small scale, but any use at all equals an issue to me.

Im sure some are using them but I don't think it's a major issue

I think their is use but it's limited, less than 10%.

I agree with the sentiment that golf should be above this. We trust players to call penalties on themselves, but then we have someone stand over them to watch them pee?

I dont have any data to back this up but I do believe there are PED usage on the pro tours.

Carl Petterson is healthy.

Tiger Woods is falling apart.

I would say so most people only think of the penlty now not there health down the road the pressure to win and the reward are huge and penlty is minimal so any advantage they can get some will take it might turn a fringe player into a solid tour player or a regular guy on tour to a major winner

I agree with the sentiment that golf should be above this. We trust players to call penalties on themselves, but then we have someone stand over them to watch them pee?

All sports should be above it, but when money and fame are on the line, people do different things.

Three words... Deer Antler Spray

I say test away.

I'm sure it exists to some extent.

In the professional sports context, if you can take some substance that will make you perform better (whether it's training more, being stronger or having more endurance), there is certainly an incentive to do it. This is particularly true if the substance you're taking is not detectable.

I have said this before related to other sports. If I was at that level and could take something to give me an advantage and perform better, either allowing me to make more money or more money over an extended period, I would think long and hard about doing it.

Health is one thing. Issues between "right" and "wrong" is completely different. It's just hard to say no when that's your livelihood.

I'm sure its used on tour, PEDs aren't just steroids.

I'm always conflicted over this question in sports. I think PEDs should be banned when everyone HAS to use them to be able to compete and choice is taken out of the equation due to lack of competitivness without them.

Specifically for golf and, more specifically, steroids I think the game is so technical that unless courses start to make the courses longer because people are hitting the ball to far (hence everyone needs to juice up to compete) it doesn't REALLY put peolpe at to much of a disadvantage. You still need to be able to execute your short game to be successful. There are big hitters everywhere in the world that are crap at golf because of the techincal aspect of golf. Now in regards to other PEDs,like stimulants, if they are effecting health they need to be banned.

any idea what the Tours drug testing "schedule" is? every event, a certain number of people, etc?

Yes, I think there are Tour players using PEDs. When it comes to your livelihood or image, I people change and do anything they need to, to maintain a lifestyle or something they've grown accustomed too.

All sports should be above it, but when money and fame are on the line, people do different things.

I get that. I guess what I mean is deception is a part of so many other sports. Soccer players pretending they were tripped, baseball players pretending they caught a ball they didn't catch (or Derek Jeter pretending to be hit by a pitch he wasn't hit by), basketball players flopping, football players pretending to be hurt to stop the clock, etc. Dishonesty is applauded as "doing what it takes to win" in so many sports. In golf, honesty is at the core of the game. It's what it's all about. Do guys break the rules on purpose and hide it? Occasionally. But it's not accepted as part of the game the way it is in other sports.

I am pretty confident that PEDs are used on tour. I'm not going to guess on a number, but the lengths people go never cease to amaze me.

I'd be really naive to say no, I'm sure it's there to a certain extent. The rewards are too great for those on the cusp looking for a quick way to improve. However, golf doesn't exactly rely on speed and strength like many other sports, so the advantages may not be worth the risk and may deter many.

I get that. I guess what I mean is deception is a part of so many other sports. Soccer players pretending they were tripped, baseball players pretending they caught a ball they didn't catch (or Derek Jeter pretending to be hit by a pitch he wasn't hit by), basketball players flopping, football players pretending to be hurt to stop the clock, etc. Dishonesty is applauded as "doing what it takes to win" in so many sports. In golf, honesty is at the core of the game. It's what it's all about. Do guys break the rules on purpose and hide it? Occasionally. But it's not accepted as part of the game the way it is in other sports.

I dont disagree, but go back to what I said earlier. As fans we view the core of the game. As a profession and with literally life changing money at stake, its hard to view it the same as a purest.

I personally think its naive to think that players are not using it. In fact on all the tours, my opinion is that while it might not be a larger number than people would suspect, I have a feeling names would surprise people.

i'm sure there are golfers on tour that use PED.... i would have no idea what percentage but if i had to guess i'd say as many as 25% theres A LOT of money on the line and that makes people do stupid things.

I think there is, and I think however many people you think are involved, you can probably double that number. I dont think the usage is segregated to only the "main" sports here in the US

I found it interesting that in 2 of the last 3 Feherty shows both Sneeds and Kuchar feel that the tour is wasting its money with drug testing, though both admit that it is not going anywhere soon with Olympic golf in the mix for at least the next several years.

I thought this was interesting as well. And yes, I'm pretty sure it's out there.

Back